Rule of thumb for insurance claims?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2022 1:18 am
Aug 3, 2019
729 posts
455 upvotes
Montreal

Rule of thumb for insurance claims?

Any rule of thumbs people follow for insurance claims in terms of cost?

I was driving my gf car last weekend ( 2017 honda civic so roughly worth 14-15k) and some guy in a 2017 audi q7 backed into my rear bumper with his rear bumper cause he was on the phone and not looking at his rear view camera. We got out , got all his info(insurance,plate,DL). He said he will pay to fix/replace my rear bumper no problem as he knew its his fault. It was a late friday night so I told him I will call him monday with estimates. But he is not answering any calls or texts. (I know its his number cause he called me on the scene just so I can save his phone)

I called the dealer and also shops so the cost to fix is around 1500 roughly. Deductible on the insurance is 500$.

Does it worth to claim it for 1k$ payment or should i just get it fixed myself? I know insurance payments will increase and car value will decrease. But on the other hand I also want to do it just so that guys car gets an accident report, his car should worth around 30-40k and an accident claim on his car will cost him more than the repair he is avoiding to pay.

I am wondering if people here has an rule of thumb when it comes to insurance claims?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5273 upvotes
Toronto
Rule of thumb when other party stops communication? Call your insurance and stop further attempts to call/txt the other party. Since it's not your fault, you should not pay any deductible.
Aug 3, 2019
729 posts
455 upvotes
Montreal
peteryorkuca wrote: Rule of thumb when other party stops communication? Call your insurance and stop further attempts to call/txt the other party. Since it's not your fault, you should not pay any deductible.
Rule of thumb for when to make claims, obviously I wouldn't want to call insurance for 200$ touch up. I am wondering if you guys have any like I will call insurance if the repairs are more than 1000$>
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I hope you have all his info. DL/Insurance.

If so stop wasting time with him as he is non-responsive. Was your car in motion as the time or parked? This will make a difference as to whether you will be found 50/50 or not in a parking lot incident.

Edit: Just noticed you’re in Quebec, no idea on how claims work there LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
crazyb0y wrote: Any rule of thumbs people follow for insurance claims in terms of cost?

I was driving my gf car last weekend ( 2017 honda civic so roughly worth 14-15k) and some guy in a 2017 audi q7 backed into my rear bumper with his rear bumper cause he was on the phone and not looking at his rear view camera. We got out , got all his info(insurance,plate,DL). He said he will pay to fix/replace my rear bumper no problem as he knew its his fault. It was a late friday night so I told him I will call him monday with estimates. But he is not answering any calls or texts. (I know its his number cause he called me on the scene just so I can save his phone)

I called the dealer and also shops so the cost to fix is around 1500 roughly. Deductible on the insurance is 500$.

Does it worth to claim it for 1k$ payment or should i just get it fixed myself? I know insurance payments will increase and car value will decrease. But on the other hand I also want to do it just so that guys car gets an accident report, his car should worth around 30-40k and an accident claim on his car will cost him more than the repair he is avoiding to pay.

I am wondering if people here has an rule of thumb when it comes to insurance claims?
If you are able, file a police report. Then call insurance asap and let them know about the accident, because maybe the other guy is doing the same and he false claiming YOU hit him to his insurance company! Act quick!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Should of written a note stating what happened, time, date and get him to sign it as proof. That's what I did when someone side swiped me. Later the husband called and said I caused the accident, I laughed and hung up. Called up insurance and sent all documents including my statement with suspects signature.
crazyb0y wrote: Any rule of thumbs people follow for insurance claims in terms of cost?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Aug 3, 2019
729 posts
455 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote: I hope you have all his info. DL/Insurance.

If so stop wasting time with him as he is non-responsive. Was your car in motion as the time or parked? This will make a difference as to whether you will be found 50/50 or not in a parking lot incident.

Edit: Just noticed you’re in Quebec, no idea on how claims work there LOL
Yeah I have all his info, mine was in motion well it was stopped but I stopped to let another car pass so car was running, and he was parked and he was leaving his parking spot when he hit me.
lamboman wrote:
If you are able, file a police report. Then call insurance asap and let them know about the accident, because maybe the other guy is doing the same and he false claiming YOU hit him to his insurance company! Act quick!
I don't think that can work, there was cameras near the building and they captured the whole thing. Even if camera's were not working then I can also deny being there at that time and *hitting his car*. His car don't even have any damage, his tow hitch hit my bumper so all he have is some scratch on his tow hitch not even visible

Cheapo-Findo wrote: Should of written a note stating what happened, time, date and get him to sign it as proof. That's what I did when someone side swiped me. Later the husband called and said I caused the accident, I laughed and hung up. Called up insurance and sent all documents including my statement with suspects signature.
Yeah next time (hopefully there won't be one). It was the first time I was involved in something like this so wasn't sure what to do to be honest other than taking all the info.

The dilemma I have is that should I pay it out of pocket (1500$) or just ignore the little damage on the plastic bumper or should I take monthly insurance increase hit for 5-6 years and possible 1000-2000$ on cars resale value.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
crazyb0y wrote: Yeah I have all his info, mine was in motion well it was stopped but I stopped to let another car pass so car was running, and he was parked and he was leaving his parking spot when he hit me.

I don't think that can work, there was cameras near the building and they captured the whole thing. Even if camera's were not working then I can also deny being there at that time and *hitting his car*. His car don't even have any damage, his tow hitch hit my bumper so all he have is some scratch on his tow hitch not even visible

Yeah next time (hopefully there won't be one). It was the first time I was involved in something like this so wasn't sure what to do to be honest other than taking all the info.

The dilemma I have is that should I pay it out of pocket (1500$) or just ignore the little damage on the plastic bumper or should I take monthly insurance increase hit for 5-6 years and possible 1000-2000$ on cars resale value.
You're not at fault, so you won't pay a deductible, therefore no rate increase.
Jun 7, 2022
1 posts
Are insurance claims transferrable?

Asking because my claim (rental car collision) was denied by Allianz. Since it was denied, I want to claim it under my personal auto insurance (Aviva) of which I am also covered. But my personal insurance says it cannot be since at the onset when I rented the car, I told them that my rental car is covered though that of my credit card.

Thus the question above if claims are transferrable from one insurance to the other. Thank you for your feedbacks.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3380 posts
6373 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Not at fault so no deductible unless in quebecland it's weird rules.

I would make a claim for a $250 door ding if other party is non responsive.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1137 posts
450 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Sounds like OP is out of luck and At Fault (50/50 at the very least).
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
Quebec is a province that has mandatory DCPD (direct compensation property damage) coverage.

This is the coverage that pays out to the insured when involved in a collision where the insured is not-at-fault. (Collision coverage pays out when at-fault).

I can't speak to the fault determination rules, but the described situation certainly seems to lean towards the OP being 100% not-at-fault.

If I were OP, I would go the route of claiming it through the insurance company.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
This could be a case of Ragu if the OP doesn't have a dash cam recording.

The other party can claim that the OP backed into him.

Yes, report and act quick.

Oops, it was over a month ago.

Hopefully the OP reported the accident.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)