Hot Deals

Rumi powered by ATCO

Ask a Home Inspector *FREE $15 off (Alberta Only)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 8:58 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta

Ask a Home Inspector *FREE $15 off (Alberta Only)

Deal Link:
Price:
Free
Savings:
100%
Expiry:
July 2, 2021
Retailer:
Rumi powered by ATCO
I just got an email from ATCO Energy about a new offer called Ask a Home Inspector. Essentially you can ask any home question to a professional home inspector for 15 mins. There's an option to have a video or phone call. Pretty slick.

I had a crack in my foundation that I was able to get advice on what I should do. He told me how to seal it myself instead of paying a company to do it. Perfect for the DIY RFD person or it sounds like they have contractors that can help you if it's a serious problem.

I haven't posted much here so I found this to be awesome to get my stupid home questions answered haha. I'm going to book another one next week to ask about my furnace maintenance.
Images
  • Home Inspection.jpg
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 14th, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added Alberta Only
38 replies
Newbie
Jan 17, 2011
38 posts
19 upvotes
Quote from the bottom of the link page:

LEGAL

*Offer ends July 2, 2021. Available to Alberta residents who opt into marketing communications for Rümi. A maximum of two consults at no charge per household. No purchase is necessary, and anyone can sign up at rumi.ca. Prices subject to change.

OP, are you in Alberta?
Member
Apr 5, 2018
286 posts
270 upvotes
That information is in his profile( Yes he is)
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
Yeah I'm in Calgary. I'm not sure how they could check if you're not in Alberta haha. Worth a shot!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2781 posts
2368 upvotes
BC
Interesting... I'm sure there is in the legal fine print that they will not be responsible for any errors in their advice to you...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1180 posts
1557 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Everyone should write down the questions and answers so we don't have duplicates
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35932 posts
22079 upvotes
Center of Universe
bgrah158 wrote: I just got an email from ATCO Energy about a new offer called Ask a Home Inspector. Essentially you can ask any home question to a professional home inspector for 15 mins. There's an option to have a video or phone call. Pretty slick.

I had a crack in my foundation that I was able to get advice on what I should do. He told me how to seal it myself instead of paying a company to do it. Perfect for the DIY RFD person or it sounds like they have contractors that can help you if it's a serious problem.

I haven't posted much here so I found this to be awesome to get my stupid home questions answered haha. I'm going to book another one next week to ask about my furnace maintenance.
Share please.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
It was just a small crack in my garage floor that went up the small wall. He said to seal it with exopy and don't worry much about it unless it grows.

The piece of mind was huge!
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
580 posts
557 upvotes
Ugh, those legal conditions.. Why does a "Rumi" sound like a bad self-help guru who's going to contact me to try to sell me things I don't need??
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4029 posts
1102 upvotes
Brampton
bgrah158 wrote: It was just a small crack in my garage floor that went up the small wall. He said to seal it with exopy and don't worry much about it unless it grows.

The piece of mind was huge!
You may need more than that. It sounds like you could have a structural crack that is spreading slowly.
IMO you should get a second opinion, possibly to also drill holes and inject the brick voids with epoxy to keep it from spreading.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
prod wrote: You may need more than that. It sounds like you could have a structural crack that is spreading slowly.
IMO you should get a second opinion, possibly to also drill holes and inject the brick voids with epoxy to keep it from spreading.
Yeah I hear what you say but it's minor. It looks like a standard crack but it was nice to not have to pay to call someone out.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
I found it was a good service to help people out without having me google the answer haha.
Sr. Member
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
prod wrote: You may need more than that. It sounds like you could have a structural crack that is spreading slowly.
IMO you should get a second opinion, possibly to also drill holes and inject the brick voids with epoxy to keep it from spreading.
I'm not an expert but I'm an engineer and I know that we vertical crack in the foundation is common and not structural risk
However,.horizontal cracks are the ones you should do what you're suggesting. my two cents
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
It says Alberta but you could give it a shot !
Member
Nov 5, 2018
354 posts
301 upvotes
prod wrote: You may need more than that. It sounds like you could have a structural crack that is spreading slowly.
IMO you should get a second opinion, possibly to also drill holes and inject the brick voids with epoxy to keep it from spreading.
bgrah158 wrote: Yeah I hear what you say but it's minor. It looks like a standard crack but it was nice to not have to pay to call someone out.
psxcheater wrote: I'm not an expert but I'm an engineer and I know that we vertical crack in the foundation is common and not structural risk
However,.horizontal cracks are the ones you should do what you're suggesting. my two cents
New home or old home? Cocnrete is susceptible to cracking while it's curing if the correct humidity conditions aren't provided. If it's an old home it could be settlement. Definitely keep an eye on it. But if the crack isn't too thick I wouldn't be worried about it.
Sr. Member
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Ferinthu1 wrote: New home or old home? Cocnrete is susceptible to cracking while it's curing if the correct humidity conditions aren't provided. If it's an old home it could be settlement. Definitely keep an eye on it. But if the crack isn't too thick I wouldn't be worried about it.
Agree. Concrete will crack eventually. I just had a foundation crack repaired, vertical line showing all the way up fr.the foundation and.the house is 20yo. I couldn't fix it myself from the inside because it crossed the stairs of the basement, otherwise I would had fill it with epoxy. Again, horizontal wide cracks are the ones you should be worry about.
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
This was my original question. This was a small crack that's been there for years in my garage.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Member
Apr 28, 2007
288 posts
99 upvotes
Regina
I think some of you are giving advice for cinder/concrete block construction which doesn't seem to be very common for residential foundations on the prairies.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 1, 2016
73 posts
97 upvotes
calgary alberta
Someone listed this post as expired. This is still valid how do I change it back?

Edit: thanks for the fix RFD.

Top