Computers & Electronics

Running an AMD 6600FX - anything worth upgrading to?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 10:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 21, 2009
158 posts
27 upvotes
niagara

Running an AMD 6600FX - anything worth upgrading to?

I have an older system that is just fine, but it is getting sluggish. Just wondering if upgrading the CPU might be worth it. Already upgrade to SSD's and RAM, now thinking maybe a new CPU. Any suggestions of items on sale?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2620 posts
1361 upvotes
London
not worth spending money on
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6553 posts
2240 upvotes
Vancouver
netrate wrote: I have an older system that is just fine, but it is getting sluggish. Just wondering if upgrading the CPU might be worth it. Already upgrade to SSD's and RAM, now thinking maybe a new CPU. Any suggestions of items on sale?
A bit useless description... If you want a better answer, list your complete system
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26335 posts
3398 upvotes
Montreal
dazz wrote: A bit useless description... If you want a better answer, list your complete system
Not really. He said he added RAM and an SSD. Only thing left is CPU on a socket am3 board. I don't need anymore details to tell that this is a dead end system and should be see any more cash spent on it. Send it to the basement as a server, or repurpose it with linux so the kids can learn what a real OS is.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3839 posts
1043 upvotes
Dont think so.. looks like theres only one more step you can go which is the FX 8300 series (8300, 8350, 8370... etc) ? None of them look that cheap even on aliexpress. Unless you find solo cpu for less than $50, I wouldnt try upgrading. Trouble is other people getting rid of AM3 cpus are getting rid of the whole mobo+cpu combo. So they'd want something closer to $100 if not more. Better off putting that money to a total upgrade. The AMD AM3+ platform did not age well at all.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6553 posts
2240 upvotes
Vancouver
mr_raider wrote: Not really. He said he added RAM and an SSD. Only thing left is CPU on a socket am3 board. I don't need anymore details to tell that this is a dead end system and should be see any more cash spent on it. Send it to the basement as a server, or repurpose it with linux so the kids can learn what a real OS is.
Huh? You are sooooo wrong...
eg. he had 2gb ram and he added another 2 back in 2009, when he added 64gb 1st gen ssd. There goes nothing... Add windows xp there for a good measure.

Also 6600fx was a Video card back in the day like 15 years ago. There are no such CPUs.
If op meant 6300 then it's a VERY capable 6-core CPU and probably much faster than many tablets, I bet. It will probably overtake many 2 core variants years later, in apsp that use multiple cores. Add a good GPU and it will run a ton of latest games at 1080p. A bottleneck, yes. Bad? Not really.

The right info is everything
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7109 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
The FX6300 is about first-gen intel core i5/i7 levels of performance.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19610 posts
7176 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I am assuming you have reinstalled Windows to deal with Windows Rot?
If so and its still sluggish then its time for a new PC.

Select your budget then go here and see what you can get for it.
I personally play no games so i skip the graphics card entirely.
https://www.logicalincrements.com/
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5665 posts
2243 upvotes
Debtario
Should be a decent system, I can still use a Q6600 in the basement and for web surfing/productivity it functions fine.

Like quentin said, try a windows reinstall. An SSD upgrade is as good as it gets performance-wise for old machines, and even then that's likely not taking full advantage of the drive's capabilities. No sense in dumping money into it.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19610 posts
7176 upvotes
Socially Distanced
M1K3Z0R wrote: Should be a decent system, I can still use a Q6600 in the basement and for web surfing/productivity it functions fine.

Like quentin said, try a windows reinstall. An SSD upgrade is as good as it gets performance-wise for old machines, and even then that's likely not taking full advantage of the drive's capabilities. No sense in dumping money into it.
I'm rocking a i7 4770, i upgraded the RAM to 16GB and did a Windows reinstall this month (and got through the unexpected hiccups) and should be good for a few years until Windows 8.1 is no longer supported and i have to upgrade).
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5665 posts
2243 upvotes
Debtario
Quentin5 wrote: I'm rocking a i7 4770, i upgraded the RAM to 16GB and did a Windows reinstall this month (and got through the unexpected hiccups) and should be good for a few years until Windows 8.1 is no longer supported and i have to upgrade).
Nice! The Haswell platform has held up quite well over the last few years, helped along by Intel's laziness and complacency in the market. Can't say I have any need to upgrade, though just before COVID I was considering building a Ryzen 5 3600 with 32GB RAM and whatever hot deal on an NVMe drive.

I'm rocking an i5 4670 as my main rig and it's more than enough for my needs, actually looked around for a Z-series chipset mobo and a i7-4770 or 4790 but those chips have held their value remarkably well. Meanwhile I only paid $140 for my chip/H87 mobo/16GB DDR3-1600 off kijiji lol
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19610 posts
7176 upvotes
Socially Distanced
M1K3Z0R wrote: Nice! The Haswell platform has held up quite well over the last few years, helped along by Intel's laziness and complacency in the market. Can't say I have any need to upgrade, though just before COVID I was considering building a Ryzen 5 3600 with 32GB RAM and whatever hot deal on an NVMe drive.
I had looked at Logical Increments the other day since i had posted it above, i figured if i were buying today i would go for the Superb tier and ditch the graphics card. Which incidentally is the same 3600 chip you mention.
I'm rocking an i5 4670 as my main rig and it's more than enough for my needs, actually looked around for a Z-series chipset mobo and a i7-4770 or 4790 but those chips have held their value remarkably well. Meanwhile I only paid $140 for my chip/H87 mobo/16GB DDR3-1600 off kijiji lol
I had the 4670 as well, i actually upgraded to 4770 because a relative gave me their old computer since they upgrade every 5 years, and i stole the chip. I have not noticed that much improvement with the 4770 chip but it was free.
I tossed my 4670 into the hand me down PC and was going to e-waste it but after selling the monitor that came with it on kijiji i was chatting with the guy who bought the monitor and he offered me cash for that HP rig with the 4670 chip. I was happy to get free money :)