Sports & Recreation

Running - Apps & Equipment for mobile (iPhone and/or Android)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2012 11:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1406 posts
303 upvotes
Quebec City

Running - Apps & Equipment for mobile (iPhone and/or Android)

Hi,
I just recently discovered some great apps for running and it's so motivating to go for a run with all the stats that you can have with this. I run for many years now, never so seriously and from 0 to 3 times a week, with many months without activities (specially during the winter as I'm not a fan of threadmill), etc. Anyway, long story short, I was running now and then, for a few km, but never got the hype!

So I know many use GPS watch and all that stuff, but I like using the technology already in my iPhone for this... this is for Kyoto! haha most for my wallet than Kyoto but still.

So I'm just curious about what you guys use for apps?
I got RunKeeper few weeks ago, very nice, you have many informations as: Time, Distance, Pace/Speed, Climb, Heart rate (if you have such device) during the run and it maps your run so you can see what routes you made.

There is a website/community which stores all of your activities, set goals, add "StreetTeam friends" (people you can follow and share activites) etc. Very nice app.

And then I just found iSmoothRun. It adds the cadence and nicer maps and other nice statistics and can export your data to RunKeeper website.

So now, after having written my biography here ;) , I'd also like to have opinions on Heart Rate Monitors. Once again, as I want to be environment-friendly (i.e. cheap), I want to use my iPhone for this, so a Bluetooth heart rate monitor. I saw there is other technologies (ANT+...) but I don't like the fact that I have to add a receiver to my iPhone for this...
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8627 posts
1450 upvotes
Try Strava. It's a running/cycling tracker with a social networking aspect to it. Lots of pros (cycling) on it. We even have a RFD group.

To get the most out of it, you should get the Wahoo! Fitness ANT+ adapter..... although in the end, the GPS unit is the way to go. The phone isn't 100% reliable, hard to import/export files, etc.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9496 posts
800 upvotes
I used Endomondo when I run or bike...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1406 posts
303 upvotes
Quebec City
Thanks, I'll take a look at these apps.

Wahoo! seems to have a new bluetooth HRM, it's called the Wahoo Fitness Blue HR. So it seems I can avoid the ANT+ receiver.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8627 posts
1450 upvotes
IMO, with the amount you invest into the receiver or a BT HRM, you might as wel just buy the garmin 410 or whatever they're selling for the ~$150 @ Costco.

Last thing you want is to go for a 2 hour run, track it, have the battery drain, and need to make an emergency call. Now your power is drained, you have no cell phone use, AND you lost your data.