• Oct 27th, 2008 9:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2002
1610 posts
326 upvotes

Running Shoes recommendations

So I've decided to start training again and I decided I want to get a really good pair of running shoes. What brands/models would you runners out there recommend? I've been using basketball shoes to run with for the last while so I think it would be nice to get footwear that will help improve my running.
Resident Tranceaddict
47 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
4111 posts
803 upvotes
thendless wrote: So I've decided to start training again and I decided I want to get a really good pair of running shoes. What brands/models would you runners out there recommend? I've been using basketball shoes to run with for the last while so I think it would be nice to get footwear that will help improve my running.
Definitely recommend going into the Running Room - one of the sales people will get you to walk back and forth a few times to see how your foot lands (i.e. over/underpronating) and recommend you a few dif shoes based upon that.

Personally, i'm really flat-footed...and i wear Brooks Beasts (the name is funny, the shoe is nice! haha).

http://www.brooksrunning.ca/footwear/m_ ... etail.html
RFD'er since 2007 😎
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4912 posts
1030 upvotes
a shoe that works for me won't necessarily work for you. everyone's foot is different, some like a more plush ride, some don't... some need more support, while some need a more neutral shoe...

Running Room is great option for trying on new running kicks... it's even better if you can score a 20% off coupon when they have em on vector cereals or other things....

YES, they are overpriced there, however think of it as having a running examination included...

once you get a shoe that works, stick with it. you don't need to go back to RR to buy em again... but I also suggest trying different brands...
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1091 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
New Balance. A good, comfy pair of these babies starting around $100 will make those sessions seem like nothing on your feet.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1362 posts
1 upvote
DeimosBeros wrote: New Balance. A good, comfy pair of these babies starting around $100 will make those sessions seem like nothing on your feet.
+1
Aug 6, 2007
51 posts
richmond hill
Here's my 2 cents worth.

Running Room are GENERALLY very good, but be careful. I have gone there for years, several different locations. The people working in some of their stores don't really know much. In fact, I have had what I would call BAD ADVICE from some of them. I found one location with one person working there who I really do trust. In fact, I sent an e-mail to John Stanton commending her for her customer service. I also told John about my poor experiences. Anyway, it is quite out of my way now, but I always go back to the location (and person) where I have always had great service.

I swear by New Balance. Have experimented with several other brands:

Nike - never again.
Asics - only would consider the really high end models.
Brooks - I think of them as a poor man's New Balance.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2453 posts
116 upvotes
Saskatoon
New balance hands down. (feet down?)

And visaperks for a Running Room coupon.
Jan 29, 2006
430 posts
21 upvotes
Asics are my favorite. I have ran in New Balance as well, they worked fairly well for me, but the Asics just felt a bit better.

In the end you will need to figure out what works for your feet, what may work for most people may not work for you.
Feb 28, 2002
557 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
I second the Running Room, odds are you'll end up in the right type of shoe for you and their return policy is great(if you run in them a few times on a treadmill and aren't happy you can return/exchange them)

Currently I'm wearing Nike structure triax, nikes are generally too narrow for me but these are wider. Past shoe was New Balance!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2006
1335 posts
+1 for Asics.

I currently have New Balance's which are great too however I still prefer my old Asics.
Banned
Feb 18, 2008
51 posts
I need a good pair of running shoes too, is new balance still the best then? I am flat footed as well
Oct 27, 2004
167 posts
2 upvotes
Thornhill
roccco wrote: I need a good pair of running shoes too, is new balance still the best then? I am flat footed as well
If you're flat footed, then look for a pair of motion-control shoes. New Balance has them, but then so do most of the other shoe brands.

Try this as a starting point in your search.
Apr 13, 2008
272 posts
5 upvotes
Washington, DC
i also hear that the new asics have good running shoes. I've primarily been a nike guy but I might have to have to check out these new new balances and asics.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
New Balance all the way for me. Can be a bit pricey but they last and Ive had nothing but luck the 15 years Ive been running.

They put most of their money towards reserach, not advertising like Nike or Reebok
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3283 posts
64 upvotes
I have had good luck with New Balance as well. currently I have a pair of Saucony's and those are great as well.
I also recommend going to the running room. They are overpriced, but you(I have at least) get someone who knows what they are talking about, and not just trying to sell you the latest shoe to come out
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3856 posts
317 upvotes
I've tried:

- ASICS -- don't like the arches in the pair I had
- Saucony -- didn't like them (note: recommended by the Running Room)
- New Balance -- I've stuck with the cross-trainers for a while now
- Nike: I'm wearing the Shox, and it's surprisingly good even for running.

I have yet to buy a pair of New Balance running shoes, but their cross-trainers are AWESOME!!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Nike Shox <-- the models meant for running are ok for concrete and track but not good if your using them for cross country where the ground might not always be flat

Brooks <-- I like them they are pretty good have not complaints except I don't like the looks of them

New Balance <-- hands down the best footwear for running
Banned
Feb 18, 2008
51 posts
new_vr wrote: I have had good luck with New Balance as well. currently I have a pair of Saucony's and those are great as well.
I also recommend going to the running room. They are overpriced, but you(I have at least) get someone who knows what they are talking about, and not just trying to sell you the latest shoe to come out

That is exactly what I did yesterday. I went to the running room, the store manager got me to walk back and forth, and based on that, he said the MIZUNO is what will fit the way my feet is shaped. I went in looking for Brooks beast, but he said that will be too much cushion for my feet.

The price of the Mizuno is $159

What do you guys think, is this justified and reasonable? I am going to be doing a lot of running over the next few months
Feb 28, 2002
557 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
roccco wrote:
The price of the Mizuno is $159

What do you guys think, is this justified and reasonable? I am going to be doing a lot of running over the next few months
Think you just answered your own question. ;)