[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13235 posts
4846 upvotes
Ontario

Running Speaker Wire In Home

Hello All,

Going to be running some cables in a new build home and was asked to run some speaker wire for possible surround sound speakers in the future. I have a few questions which hopefully you can answer,

1) What gauge speak wire? 18/16/14/12 Gauge?

2) What sort of wall plate would I connect the wire to? I'm thinking this is what I want? https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.spea ... 24151.html

3) Any other suggestions/tips?

4) Suggestions on what cable or a type to look out for? I don't want anything cheap that may give me issues down the road, I rather pay a bit more and get quality now.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
16 or 14 should be fine.

Do you need a plate? If they are floor standing speakers then yes. If they are inwall or onwall then you do not need a plate.

Are you doing this during construction before the insulation?

Speaker cable is not complicated. Any flexible non-solid conductor cable should be fine. Usually the more flexible it is the easier it is to work with.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13235 posts
4846 upvotes
Ontario
Speaker wont be in wall so yes I will install some wall plates.

Yes, this will be before insulation. I'm also running Cat6 & HDMI cables.

Thanks
BuildingHomes wrote: 16 or 14 should be fine.

Do you need a plate? If they are floor standing speakers then yes. If they are inwall or onwall then you do not need a plate.

Are you doing this during construction before the insulation?

Speaker cable is not complicated. Any flexible non-solid conductor cable should be fine. Usually the more flexible it is the easier it is to work with.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1578 posts
1109 upvotes
Longueuil
1) It depends of the distance. There are charts on the web that will show you the maximum distance for each gauge based on the speaker impedance (example: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video- ... able-gauge). If you are not sure, you better get a smaller gauge, it can't hurt and price is not that different.

2) That type of plate is good. Monoprice has many models (a single plate can connect to more than 1 wire, great for the plate next to your A/V Receiver) and better prices (but you will have to wait before it gets here).

3) Do it right the first time and never worry again in the future :-)

4) Make sure your cable is CL2. It is about the same price and complies with fire safety and insurance requirements since it will be used inside walls.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12159 posts
7350 upvotes
Paris
JEDI Force wrote:
4) Make sure your cable is CL2. It is about the same price and complies with fire safety and insurance requirements since it will be used inside walls.
It didnt cost a lot more for the in-wall speaker wire and I found it easier to run than normal speaker wire would have been. If you are fishing, use a wire fish and a dollar store glow stick taped to the end to find it easier.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13235 posts
4846 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks lots of good info there. I was thinking 12 or 14 Gauge wire which seem to be a good choice. The distance would not be to far so it should be good.

Thanks
JEDI Force wrote: 1) It depends of the distance. There are charts on the web that will show you the maximum distance for each gauge based on the speaker impedance (example: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video- ... able-gauge). If you are not sure, you better get a smaller gauge, it can't hurt and price is not that different.

2) That type of plate is good. Monoprice has many models (a single plate can connect to more than 1 wire, great for the plate next to your A/V Receiver) and better prices (but you will have to wait before it gets here).

3) Do it right the first time and never worry again in the future :-)

[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13235 posts
4846 upvotes
Ontario
Walls are all currently open so it will be super easy to run all these wires.

Jerico wrote: It didnt cost a lot more for the in-wall speaker wire and I found it easier to run than normal speaker wire would have been. If you are fishing, use a wire fish and a dollar store glow stick taped to the end to find it easier.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
I just did this in our basement prior to sprayfoaming the exterior walls. I used 14 gauge CL2 (in wall rated) wire. I also ran 1/2'' EMT "smurf" flexible conduit (blue stuff from home depot) to future proof and allow me to pull new cable in the future.

I used binding posts like the one you linked, but used keystone inserts and put them into a wall plate, along with other stuff (RG6, CAT6)

I just grabbed my speaker wire in bulk from Home Depot. I'm sure you could get a better price if you shop around or go with an online home theatre retailer, but I haven't had any issues.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
sickcars wrote: Walls are all currently open so it will be super easy to run all these wires.
Is this a production home or a custom home?
Do you have permission from the builder to run this during construction?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13235 posts
4846 upvotes
Ontario
Custom home - My friend is the contractor. I can do whatever I want in the house.
BuildingHomes wrote: Is this a production home or a custom home?
Do you have permission from the builder to run this during construction?