Sports & Recreation

Running - in winter or really cold weather..

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2012 9:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2576 posts
147 upvotes

Running - in winter or really cold weather..

curious if anyone would know of a place now that summer and spring are long gone, where a runner might run for free, indoors preferably, or anything better than the freezing cold outside and out of the path of the snow and slush on a sidewalk or road..

trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

open to suggestions.
20 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2576 posts
147 upvotes
lol figured that would be a suggestion. and no, I will not run in a mall.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
2233 posts
42 upvotes
subway
when you get extreme, you'll wait for a train to pass a certain mark, then sprint for your life
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Wear breathable layers and do it outside!
+1
Running indoor or on a treadmill will never match the intensity of running outside. I just got myself some winter running clothes from MEC and I am running outside until it is not possible (6ft of snow or icy conditions)
I think OP you should try and run outside as much as you can. Otherwise I am afraid gym is your only option.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Nov 19, 2009
441 posts
114 upvotes
Windsor
UrbanPoet wrote: Wear breathable layers and do it outside!
I'm with this guy. For me, if it's truly cold outside (which most of the time has more to do with strong wind than the temperature) I'm not often eager about stepping out the door. For the first 5-10 minutes my face (uncovered) will not be happy... but soon enough your skin adapts to the chill and the rest of you starts making heat and I'll start to feel great and forget what I ever had reservations. Unless we're talking about freezing rain or ***** -cold (-20-25C windchill by my personal definition) it's outside! But hey, there's always that mall option.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23587 posts
5784 upvotes
Toronto
Here are some options:

1. Covered tennis court (i.e. bubble)...run around the courts but you might need to pay a little fee to get in....
2. If you are located in the GTA, you can run along the PATH - a long course of tunnels in the financial core
3. If you have any friends that live in condos, ask them to let you in and you can run the stairwells....great work-out for the calves as well
4. Go to any subway station and run around the subway station (but do not run near the tracks!)
5. Go to any Costco and run around the Costco warehouse

If you do run outside, I suggest some nipple stickers.....those nipples are going to chafe man!

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8622 posts
1447 upvotes
I run outdoors all winter long. I find it quite enjoyable. It's a lot easier to regulate your temperature in the cold than it is in the heat. Mrs feels the same. Our husky mix dog also agrees :P It's not even that extreme in terms of getting prepared. Coldest I've done is -35C.

I wear from top to bottom (All dry fit. CRUCIAL!)

- beanie (balaclava if below -15C)
- underarmor coldgear top
- soft shell jacket
- soft shell gloves (thicker if really cold)
- undies + cross country ski tights
- normal socks
- trail runners (cleated runners if icy)

That's it. It's really not much different from running in the summer. To regulate temperature, I just open/zip up my jacket accordingly. When you first step outside, it's cold, but once you get going, you're perfectly fine. If you go outside and can stand there w/o getting cold, you're wearing too much! If you get hot during your run, you sweat, and if you sweat, you get wet, which means you freeze. That's why it's crucial to wear all moisture wicking clothing.

One of my favourite quotes from a MEC catalogue (roughly) - "I love running in the winter. The faster you go, the more slippery and thrilling it gets".

What's also nice is that by running outdoors in January, you avoid all the new year resolutioners.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
Stock R wrote: I run outdoors all winter long. I find it quite enjoyable. It's a lot easier to regulate your temperature in the cold than it is in the heat. Mrs feels the same. Our husky mix dog also agrees :P It's not even that extreme in terms of getting prepared. Coldest I've done is -35C.

- soft shell jacket
- normal socks

That's it. It's really not much different from running in the summer. To regulate temperature, I just open/zip up my jacket accordingly. When you first step outside, it's cold, but once you get going, you're perfectly fine. If you go outside and can stand there w/o getting cold, you're wearing too much! If you get hot during your run, you sweat, and if you sweat, you get wet, which means you freeze. That's why it's crucial to wear all moisture wicking clothing.

One of my favourite quotes from a MEC catalogue (roughly) - "I love running in the winter. The faster you go, the more slippery and thrilling it gets".

What's also nice is that by running outdoors in January, you avoid all the new year resolutioners.
GREAT post !
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Stock R wrote: I run outdoors all winter long. I find it quite enjoyable. It's a lot easier to regulate your temperature in the cold than it is in the heat. Mrs feels the same. Our husky mix dog also agrees :P It's not even that extreme in terms of getting prepared. Coldest I've done is -35C.

- soft shell jacket
- normal socks

I agree with you 100%.
It is awesome to run outside in the cold, ones you get going you are not cold anymore. I went out for a run today after work, people were wearing winter jackets and stuff walking their dogs, I was dressed pretty much the way StockR explained it and I was perfectly fine. I started sweating when I stopped in front of my house.
I very much looking forward to run and bike in the Winter.
Also it is Movember so be a man and grow a freaking mustache people! :)
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: Here are some options:

1. Covered tennis court (i.e. bubble)...run around the courts but you might need to pay a little fee to get in....
2. If you are located in the GTA, you can run along the PATH - a long course of tunnels in the financial core
3. If you have any friends that live in condos, ask them to let you in and you can run the stairwells....great work-out for the calves as well
4. Go to any subway station and run around the subway station (but do not run near the tracks!)
5. Go to any Costco and run around the Costco warehouse

If you do run outside, I suggest some nipple stickers.....those nipples are going to chafe man!
[IMG]http://myrunningshorts.files.wordpress. ... =120&h=300[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
197 upvotes
Insider wrote: curious if anyone would know of a place now that summer and spring are long gone, where a runner might run for free, indoors preferably, or anything better than the freezing cold outside and out of the path of the snow and slush on a sidewalk or road..

trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

open to suggestions.
YMCA has indoor track for running (you need to join).
UofT downtown campus has indoor track for running (you need to be UofT student).

Running outside when it is cold and dry is okay.
Running outside when it is wet and snow/ice is not.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
I am making the gear investments for winter running now. I dont want to spend another winter on those god damn tredmills! So boring...no matter if there is a tv on it or I have music....I could only last 20 minutes on the treadmill
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
No Frills wrote: I am making the gear investments for winter running now.
You won't regret it. You may still have to use the treadmill every now and then but you will have a lot more opportunity to run outside then before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2576 posts
147 upvotes
I kind of gave up on this thread after the first few replies. thanks to those who have replied. I've been running outside and layering like those have suggested. not sure about those nipple stickers lol
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
Insider wrote: I kind of gave up on this thread after the first few replies. thanks to those who have replied. I've been running outside and layering like those have suggested. not sure about those nipple stickers lol
Do you run at night ?

If so, do you use any high visibility / reflective gear ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote: Do you run at night ?

If so, do you use any high visibility / reflective gear ?
I do. Some companies that manufactur thermol athletic wear, moreover can be used for running have some styles that have reflective seams, mostly jackets and some tights.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jul 29, 2006
636 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
OP, can layer up and start with nice brisk walk for 30 mins then slowly progress to a light jog. It takes awhile to get use to the cold but the crisp air will definitely wake you up!
....life needs more green lights.