None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3366 posts
3501 upvotes
Montreal

Rust above windshield Kia Forte 2015

Saw I bought this used car in November and never realized this until recently. I am not sure if its rust bit seems odd. The car has 70k mileage on it. Can someone help me on what it is?
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14952 posts
11399 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Clean the water off and take closer pics of the rust. I am suspecting paint chips due to stones.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1185 posts
2100 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Likely stones that have hit the paint and damaged it and or the clear coat. It's rust from under the paint. If you had caught the paint chip before, you could have sealed it to prevent the rust but its to late to stop now I believe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3366 posts
3501 upvotes
Montreal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Clean the water off and take closer pics of the rust. I am suspecting paint chips due to stones.
Ok I will later when its sunny. Took the pics after rain
ji2o0k wrote: We have the same above our windshield on our 2011 VW Tiguan.

Caused by rock chips and moisture gets in.....causing the rust.

Ours is wayyyyy worse than yours....lol....
Damn well your car is almost 10 years old kind of expected mine is 5 years old lol
fordmaple wrote: Likely stones that have hit the paint and damaged it and or the clear coat. It's rust from under the paint. If you had caught the paint chip before, you could have sealed it to prevent the rust but its to late to stop now I believe.
Wow that really sucks. I am scared that water might leak eventually is there any suggestion on what can be done?
Last edited by danzerino on Jul 29th, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19184 posts
22076 upvotes
GTA
Probably a good idea to clear-bra the leading edge of the roof when new.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1185 posts
2100 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Wow that really sucks. I am scared that water might leak eventually is there any suggestion on what can be done?
You could carefully peel back the black gasket and caulk it with clear silicon to prevent water and reduce rust progress.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12790 posts
7485 upvotes
Brampton
Stone chips that are starting to rust and bubble.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22220 posts
3055 upvotes
Better go fix any other untouched chips.

I would sand it, add rust converter and paint it. Won't look great but will slow the spread down.
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Better go fix any other untouched chips.

I would sand it, add rust converter and paint it. Won't look great but will slow the spread down.
It looks worse than it actually is. Clean the area with alcohol/methyl hydrate. Most of that rust stain will come off. Then touch it up with touch up paint. Since your vehicle is white, it'll look pretty good. I do this on customers' cars daily when I replace a windshield.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3366 posts
3501 upvotes
Montreal
Kasakato wrote: Better go fix any other untouched chips.

mer1ion wrote: It looks worse than it actually is. Clean the area with alcohol/methyl hydrate. Most of that rust stain will come off. Then touch it up with touch up paint. Since your vehicle is white, it'll look pretty good. I do this on customers' cars daily when I replace a windshield.

Cool any product specific names? And I am wondering for the paint can I just get some from amazon or does it have to be OEM from Kia?
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
danzerino wrote: Cool any product specific names? And I am wondering for the paint can I just get some from amazon or does it have to be OEM from Kia?
With stone chips, I don't usually go crazy trying to fix them. I find keeping it simple usually does the job. As long as the rust isn't severe, you'll be able to clean most of it off with alcohol/methylhydrate. The important thing is staying on top of it and not letting it get out of hand.

As for the touch up paint, I actually have over a hundred different coloured touch up pens so I can usually find a pretty close match. You would think white and black would be easy colours to match but they can actually be pretty hard to find a close match . There are just too many shades in between. The most common white I use I keep in a small can as I use it a lot.

If I remember correctly, the white on your vehicle is a slightly off white. The paint on KIAs are quite prone to chipping. I see it a lot on fleet vehicles. If you want a close match, buy the touch up paint from the dealer or try something like chipfix.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)