• May 9th, 2021 10:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 26, 2011
22 posts
2 upvotes
GTA

Rust forming on 2014 Jetta

I've got a 2014 Jetta with only 78k kms on it and the other day after washing the car, I noticed some bubbling paint where the bumper meets the rear wheel arch. I'm the 2nd owner of the car and that panel hasn't been repainted or involved in any collision. I took it to a local body shop who said it's due to the bolt holding the bumper and the panel together rusting out and that along with the amount of moisture and salt that collects, it's just spreading from there. He quoted me $800 to sand, fill and repaint the entire quarter panel. I understand VW has a 12 year warranty but would they even look at something like this? When I contacted the dealer they said they have a long backlog of these claims to get through (kind of sounded like they would drag out the entire process).

I'm pretty meticulous about my car (it's in mint condition) and I wash it every 2 weeks in the winter. I understand rust here in Ontario is inevitable but certainly didn't expect it to happen in the first 6-7 years. When I bought the car, the sales rep said don't bother rust proofing it!

I do plan on keeping my car for the long term and would like to get this fixed properly and asap. What would be my best course of action here?
Images
  • 20210507_090939.jpg
  • 20210507_091012.jpg
  • 20210507_091122.jpg
Last edited by hummer84 on May 10th, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10217 posts
2001 upvotes
It's normal to have a bit of rust on the interfaces, see a lot of these Jetta from MK5 to MK6 days. Might need to replace or remove the rust/ repaint.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2830 posts
626 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Start the claim process with VW.

I would also check if your car has the 7 year or 12 year rust warranty. VW made the switch to the shorter warranty around 2014-2015 IIRC.

I went through the process last year with my 08 GTI. The dealer takes pictures of the rust area and sends it off to VW for them to process.

The dealer I went to was pretty good as the rep looked at all the common areas that rust forms for my specific car. In the end I had my hood replaced along with some work done on the front fenders.

It does take time though. The decision took around 8 weeks after the dealer submitted the claim. Best to start the process as soon as possible especially if your car has the 7 year warranty.
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
435 upvotes
Next door
spike1128 wrote: It's normal to have a bit of rust on the interfaces, see a lot of these Jetta from MK5 to MK6 days. Might need to replace or remove the rust/ repaint.
Not sure I would call this "a bit of rust". Another year and it will be perforated.

I bet the issue is salty water and slush sitting on a small ledge in the wheel well. Once you get it fixed keep washing it in the winter and spray Fluid Film on the backside to protect the repair. POR15 would also slow the corrosion.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22140 posts
8497 upvotes
Socially Distanced
If you have warranty coverage puruse it. If this dealer doesn't want to put in the claim find the next closest dealership and make the claim there.

In the interim buy fluid film or corrosion free in a can and spray from all sides and try to get to the metal to slow it down. Repeat about once a month. The spray is messy.
You can ask if using the products will affect the warranty while waiting for repair, it should not but sometimes car companies get anal to deny claims. Ask by e-mail so you get the no in writing.

If you can get any salt out of there and keep it dry you won't get much rust expansion right now as we are out of salt season but by next winter you want this resolved.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1793 posts
2231 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Under warranty, go talk to the dealer.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17228 posts
19118 upvotes
Oakville
I believe most OEM rust warranties only kick in if there's perforation, which it doesn't look like you have. You could just spray with fluid film or rust check and let it be if it doesn't bother you too much.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Mar 31, 2009
220 posts
318 upvotes
This looks pretty bad for 2014 car. And even more so on a Euro car that is supposed to be (or, at least we are told) more rust resistant.
Dealer will do nothing unless there is a perforating hole.
In the meantime this rust will likely spread.
Dec 13, 2008
128 posts
75 upvotes
Hamilton
Seems to me you are not doing too bad for a 7 year old vehicle.

Consider spending some money and get it repaired properly and keep on driving this for another 7 years.

Also, you could get a good price for that and get a new one perhaps.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1793 posts
2231 upvotes
Barrie, ON
engineered wrote: I believe most OEM rust warranties only kick in if there's perforation, which it doesn't look like you have. You could just spray with fluid film or rust check and let it be if it doesn't bother you too much.
The big thing with VW is making sure this is on file for later down the road. I didn't require the hatch on my Jetta wagon to be perforated before VW fixed it. Just make sure you're within the corrosion warranty and you should be good to go.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2011
22 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the responses. I will get back to the dealer on this. The other thing I heard is, if it goes through the dealership will use their preferred body shop which is not ideal as I have my go-to shop. Are there some dealers who do a good job with the paintwork/repair?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1028 posts
881 upvotes
If you manage to get it fixed under warranty vs out of pocket who cares. Both your guy and dealer will fix will only last maybe 2 years if that.

But the manufacturers have a great track record denying rust repairs under warranty.

They want to see holes usually and even then they give you other excuses.

Civics from 2001 to 2005 all rusted in exact same spot and Honda didn't fix any of them.

When I had a civic from that gen I kept coating the rust with Vaseline and it seemed to stop the spread.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11827 posts
3482 upvotes
Ontario
The dealer will use their preferred bodyshop to fix it & they generally will not allow you to go to your bodyshop unless they do not have a preferred bodyshop.
Start the process now as it takes long (as mentioned) Once it gets repaired get your car rust proofed yearly. I have a MK7 R and I get it rust proofed by Krown every year, at the very least it will help protect the metal parts under the car and make things last longer. Even if I need to bring it to VW for Rust repair its unlikely they will deny it because I don't let them (Krown) drill holes in my car
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22295 posts
3581 upvotes
Toronto
bargain man wrote: Start the claim process with VW.

I would also check if your car has the 7 year or 12 year rust warranty. VW made the switch to the shorter warranty around 2014-2015 IIRC.

I went through the process last year with my 08 GTI. The dealer takes pictures of the rust area and sends it off to VW for them to process.

The dealer I went to was pretty good as the rep looked at all the common areas that rust forms for my specific car. In the end I had my hood replaced along with some work done on the front fenders.

It does take time though. The decision took around 8 weeks after the dealer submitted the claim. Best to start the process as soon as possible especially if your car has the 7 year warranty.
definitely go back to VW & start your rust corrosion warranty process.

VW switched from 12year rust corrosion warranty to 7yr only starting in 2018.....so yours is under the 12yr warranty.

VW process takes long - yes they have a backlog to process but that doesn't mean you are not covered & shouldn't start the process. The backlog is VW's problem - not yours. Definitely pursue it....

People laugh when I say / post if you are getting a VW & plan to keep it to rustproof it every year to prevent rust......I've owned Hondas, Acuras, Fords, Chevys & VWs..................my 2011 VW Tiguan that I kept until this year had among the worst rust for a 10+ year old car......besides the Chevy Cobalt (and I don't rustproof my cars)

I also went through the VW rust corrosion warranty for my 2011 Tiguan and had the following replaced / repaired under warranty:

- new hood
- new driver side door
- new rear passenger door
- rear quarter panels repaired

Denied
- rust along the top of the windshield
- rust along the inner door jambs (you could see rust bubbling)

VW is good at denying items - be prepared to fight for it...

I really wanted to take VW to small claims court to fix the items denied but I ended up selling the Tiguan since I couldn't be bothered.....

Too bad, it was a fun 6spd but that rust......goodness....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0