Automotive

Rust Proofing 7 year old Subaru Impreza Hatchback (2013)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 9:02 pm
[OP]
Jul 1, 2016
989 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto

Rust Proofing 7 year old Subaru Impreza Hatchback (2013)

Hello Fellow RFDers,

Was wondering if anyone with experience can chime in on this...

I have an 7 year old Subaru Impreza Hatchback (2013 model) in great overall condition (except for a scrape or 2 on the front bumper). 100k total; 1st 60k was msotly highway driven; the rest 40k is a combination of hwy and local driving (mostly the ladder).

Planning to keep this car for another 3-5 years and am wondering if it's too late to do rust proofing in the doors and underside... I worry that if the cleaning process isn't done properly on the underside; salt can be sealed in with the rust proof compound...

Edit: There is one accident on the vehicle; got rear ended pretty badly in the winter of 2018. The repair from insurance was about 2k if I recall correctly; the muffler and rear bumper was replaced.

Any information & suggestion(s) would be greatly appreciated.
Pixelation~
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
It's never too late, but it may be less effective if rust has already started.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4318 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Probably a waste of money at this point IMO, you shouldn't have trouble lasting another 3-5 years if there isn't a lot of visible rust. If you look closely around the accident spots or under the car I'm sure you'll find plenty of rust already there if it was winter driven yearly..

It might help slow it down I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Probably a waste of money at this point IMO, you shouldn't have trouble lasting another 3-5 years if there isn't a lot of visible rust. If you look closely around the accident spots or under the car I'm sure you'll find plenty of rust already there if it was winter driven yearly..

It might help slow it down I guess.
SPend the money on winter car washes to rinse out the salt.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
IIRC it's around $110 at Crown or $200 at Robinson Automotive for Corrosion Free, which is where I get it done as well as family & friends.

I'm sure it will help somehow.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
bhrm wrote: SPend the money on winter car washes to rinse out the salt.
I'm not convinced that automatic car washes would do anything to prevent rust. Rust needs oxygen to form, and water and salt accelerate it. My concern is that a car wash would only clean the outer surface, and push the salty water further into crevices. It could also wash off any wax/oil/rust protection you already have on the car.
Now a detailed hand wash where you manually flush out the crevices could help. Rust protection would fill those crevices with their oil.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4494 posts
2981 upvotes
keeping it for another 3 to 5 years might as well forget about it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: IIRC it's around $110 at Crown or $200 at Robinson Automotive for Corrosion Free, which is where I get it done as well as family & friends.

I'm sure it will help somehow.

Did they use

ImageImageImageImage

I wouldn't bother at this point OP.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
They used Gunk IIRC.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3008 upvotes
OP gave a good description of the car, but no mention of the rust condition.

How bad is it rusted?

A treatment now would help, but as others have mentioned... maybe there's no point.
Jul 1, 2016
989 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: OP gave a good description of the car, but no mention of the rust condition.

How bad is it rusted?

A treatment now would help, but as others have mentioned... maybe there's no point.
To the best of my knowledge; there's a few minor spots by the ledge on the driver's side... aside from that I haven't seen any other rust spots.

I'll ask my mechanic if I can take a quick look under the car when I get my oil change done next weekend.

Sounds like it's worthwhile for a few hundred dollars (if done yearly)... I mean... better cosmetic condition would definitely help when I try to sell it...

Thanks to all those that responded; will update soon
Pixelation~
Mar 4, 2006
472 posts
147 upvotes
You can rust proof it yourself. Of Course it will not be as thorough as bringing it to a shop. But you can reach most of the critical areas using a spray can and the included straw. If you wait for a sale you can pick up some Formula 3000 from TSC Store for $5.00 a can. Average car can be done with 3 or 4 cans.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
davebert wrote: You can rust proof it yourself. Of Course it will not be as thorough as bringing it to a shop.
Ehhh I dunno about that. The shitty jobs that some places do, you really could do better. The tricky part is you probably can't do a super great job with rattle cans and an N95. If you don't already have equipment like a compressor, respirator, and sprayer, you're getting into pricey stuff just to be able to do a larger-scale job. Never mind the cost of the product you'll be applying lol!

Still if the car is this old already, not worth a ton, and hasn't started rusting already, might as well give it the ol' college try I say! You'll probably do a better job of cleaning it up before applying too. However you will need to lift the vehicle and put it on like four stands or something to clean it thoroughly and to apply the product. Something at which point many ppl are just gonna say to hay with it and pay someone $200 or whatever to do it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)