• Oct 11th, 2018 8:05 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12242 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go with Krown as well, their attention to detail is pretty good. They drill some holes in strategic locations, fill it with silicone lube (at least that's what it looks like), and then cover the rest of the underbody with their oil spray. I have had to wipe some oil off some areas of my car (trunk hinge and a few spots under the hood), but that's likely from excess run-off.

They actually only took 20 minutes with my car, but they said it was because they had everybody working on my car that time.
Deal with it.
Jan 10, 2008
999 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
astroboi wrote: Nightgod is right.

It is widely known that natural rubber can be damaged by petroleum products.
Yup... no Vaseline on rubber for anal lube. :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19945 posts
4532 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
nsr250 wrote: Anyone have experience on the electronic rustproofing? Those small computer boxes where you just bolt under the hood of the car and run of couple wires to the chassis and its supposed to send electrical signals to the car's body to keep it rust free? Sounds like it doesn't work well but less messy than spray
Apparently they work wonders ... on boats...

Supposedly it's useless on cars.

As for the original question, I use Krown. I park in underground parking so I get it done in the fall before I get into situations where the accumulated snow and salt melts off every time I park for the night.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1711 posts
418 upvotes
Montreal
i dont understand how a rustproof company can guarantee no rust will appear.
there is no way to stop rust 100%.

I believe the best thing to do if you buy a brand new car, is to get rustproofed from the factory.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19945 posts
4532 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
BobyYoo wrote: i dont understand how a rustproof company can guarantee no rust will appear.
there is no way to stop rust 100%.

I believe the best thing to do if you buy a brand new car, is to get rustproofed from the factory.
They only guarantee against perforation from the inside out in certain parts of the car.

If you get a stone chip and fail to fix it, and the it rusts, that's not covered.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Sep 1, 2008
10 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Unfortunately my experience with Ziebart has been a very poor one. I had a clear bra put on my car. Right away I noticed a number of squegee / soap spots...I was told they would cure in a week or so. However they have not and I waited over three weeks to go back to Ziebart to fix it. I was assured they would re-do the job with a new kit. But it has been over a month - I was to get a call back when the part was in.... I have been trying to schedule an appointment and keep getting excuses after excuses......not sure if this is how all Ziebart locations operate. But do not reccomend the one at Winston Churchill and Britania - Mississauga. Will keep you posted if things change....but so far it I dont like this at all and I am out nearly 400.00
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1588 posts
161 upvotes
Ottawa
desikokonut wrote: Unfortunately my experience with Ziebart has been a very poor one. I had a clear bra put on my car. Right away I noticed a number of squegee / soap spots...I was told they would cure in a week or so. However they have not and I waited over three weeks to go back to Ziebart to fix it. I was assured they would re-do the job with a new kit. But it has been over a month - I was to get a call back when the part was in.... I have been trying to schedule an appointment and keep getting excuses after excuses......not sure if this is how all Ziebart locations operate. But do not reccomend the one at Winston Churchill and Britania - Mississauga. Will keep you posted if things change....but so far it I dont like this at all and I am out nearly 400.00
Sounds like my experience in Ottawa - they saw nothing wrong with the job they performed yet it was horrible. I had to take them to small claims court.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1345 posts
14 upvotes
enko wrote: Sounds like my experience in Ottawa - they saw nothing wrong with the job they performed yet it was horrible. I had to take them to small claims court.
Unfortunately all companies have franchisees that just don't cut it. You'd be surprised at the number of reapplications Krown has to do. Head office sends them (the complaintants) to one specific outlet whose owner retired last year. Don't particularly like the new owner so I didn't get it done this year.
Once every 2 years is enough anyways.

I don't know where head office sends the dissatisfied customers these days.
Lakeshore maybe. :)

ed You shouldn't have had to take them to court.
Jan 5, 2007
9 posts
I`ve had a car (Olds) done with Ziebart didn`t see the first 5 winters , had it 10 years and it had some rust.My van (Plymouth) I have had done with Krown and is now 15 years old see every winter with no rust and looking like a 2 year old van. So you may save some money with Ziebart but if it doesn`t work as good as Krown where`s the savings. I `ve been going to the one on Centre Street, Richmond Hill and found them nice to deal with.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3522 posts
115 upvotes
Halton
my truck is krowned. and I am having a new rear bumper and exhuast system out in from getting rear ended. They have to spray the stuff under the warranty :P
Enjoy Life
Mar 31, 2009
239 posts
8 upvotes
I have used Krown for several cars.

My experience is that yearly treatment is unnecessary and that 2 year intervals will give you more than sufficient protection.

I had my car washed the other day at a car wash with the bottom blaster (or whatever they call it) service. The next day I ran my hand under the car and the rustproofing coating was still there doing it job after two years.
Jan 5, 2007
9 posts
I think your right about the 2 year intervals but to keep the warranty and the price freeze you must go yearly.
Jan 1, 2009
145 posts
1 upvote
joker99 wrote: I think your right about the 2 year intervals but to keep the warranty and the price freeze you must go yearly.
Do you really feel the warranty is worth the annual $140 expense? How much more do you think they could raise the price every year? Just stick with the 2 year intervals and call it a day.
Oct 5, 2009
1 posts
Mississauga
As an engineer specializing in corrosion, I can tell you with certainty that electronic anti-corrosion modules that attach to your car's chassis do not work. Period. The principle by which they are claimed to work requires that the metal to be protected is completely submerged in an electrolyte, i.e. water. Since this is not the case with any car (minus perhaps Aquaman's), corrosion is not hindered except directly at the point of contact with the module.

With that said, I'm convinced of the oil spraying techniques if they cover all exposed surfaces. If only they weren't so messy. I would simply wash the car well and frequently, but certainly, corrosion will eventually set in, so that isn't a permanently effective solution. I remain undecided.

Why can't car companies offer an extra thick zinc coating on their galvinized steel, for a fee? I'd take that too.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1072 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
Cepheus wrote: As an engineer specializing in corrosion, I can tell you with certainty that electronic anti-corrosion modules that attach to your car's chassis do not work. Period. The principle by which they are claimed to work requires that the metal to be protected is completely submerged in an electrolyte, i.e. water. Since this is not the case with any car (minus perhaps Aquaman's), corrosion is not hindered except directly at the point of contact with the module.

With that said, I'm convinced of the oil spraying techniques if they cover all exposed surfaces. If only they weren't so messy. I would simply wash the car well and frequently, but certainly, corrosion will eventually set in, so that isn't a permanently effective solution. I remain undecided.

Why can't car companies offer an extra thick zinc coating on their galvinized steel, for a fee? I'd take that too.

Because it'd cost them time and money and they're thinking not everyone would buy into it. That's too bad.
Aug 10, 2008
973 posts
86 upvotes
Probably the manufacturers want your car only to last a reasonable amount of time, let's say 10 years average after that it starts rusting and you will end up buying a new car and keep the economy rolling

if they make their cars to resist corrosion forever, nobody would need to buy cars anymore for a long long time
Oct 16, 2009
228 posts
Toronto
I just had my car sprayed today, at a local garage/ well known friend. I paid $80. He sprayed it with some kind of oil.Underneath, around the wheels, doors, trunk, hood. I did the same thing last fall and it protected the vehicle very well.
Oct 13, 2009
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
KawaiiTentacleBeast wrote: Just buy Audi. 100% anodized body panels (or if you buy A8, completely aluminum car), 12 yr warantee against body rust. Everything else will probably break before any rust forms.
Aluminum Corrodes with Salt (Sodium Chloride)

I had to replace Aluminum A/C pipe from condenser to evaporator due to corrosion. Sodium Chloride will eat Aluminum little by little. White flaky surface. That damn pipe was a dealer item. In Canada $187, in US $75.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12242 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
Wolfskin wrote: I just had my car sprayed today, at a local garage/ well known friend. I paid $80. He sprayed it with some kind of oil.Underneath, around the wheels, doors, trunk, hood. I did the same thing last fall and it protected the vehicle very well.
It usually takes more than one year for rust to form.
Deal with it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)