Automotive

Rust under the license plate

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2018 10:51 pm
Jul 3, 2009
338 posts
59 upvotes

Rust under the license plate

I am looking for one year old Toyota , notice many have rust or bubble caused by license plate. Looks like when people open trunk the plate touched the paint and caused the rust.

Should I avoid such cars , will the rust become bigger . I notice the stone chip on my current ford did not become bigger rust after 9 years, so not sure if I should worry about it
Images
  • B31C0B5E-2461-4C0E-8E8A-8D18568AB9CF.jpeg
16 replies
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
I hate cars that have plates on the trunk as a focal point, they belong on the bumper. The Americans get this right.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
I always had an idea to laminate the license plate so it doesn't hit or rub against the bodywork of the vehicle. Or at least wrap it in some type of plastic/clear material. I've noticed that happen above too on some vehicles.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
radeonboy wrote: I always had an idea to laminate the license plate so it doesn't hit or rub against the bodywork of the vehicle. Or at least wrap it in some type of plastic/clear material. I've noticed that happen above too on some vehicles.
Some vehicles put a foam strip behind where the plate sits. Cuts down on rattling noises and prevents rubbing the paint off so rust can form.

Wrapping in something will help keep the plate in good condition, but won’t help with the rattling and it won’t stop the chafing or contact to the paint. It’ll cut down on the impact, but it’ll still ruin the finish to some degree. Granted, it’ll take longer to rust.

On my vehicles, I put a foam strip on the backing area myself if there’s nothing there already. Makes it quieter and keeps the finish intact.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
hpad06 wrote: I am looking for one year old Toyota , notice many have rust or bubble caused by license plate. Looks like when people open trunk the plate touched the paint and caused the rust.

Should I avoid such cars , will the rust become bigger . I notice the stone chip on my current ford did not become bigger rust after 9 years, so not sure if I should worry about it
If it’s already rusting like the picture, I’d avoid the vehicle. If they’re all like that and you’re set on that vehicle then I’d see if you can get the price down and use the savings to get it fixed. Then as noted in an earlier post, add a foam strip behind the plate to avoid future contact.

Otherwise, if you don’t fix it, then it’ll just get worse over time. You’ll also get rust stains streaking down the trunk lid and onto the bumper. That would drive me nuts!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
CanadianLurker wrote: Some vehicles put a foam strip behind where the plate sits. Cuts down on rattling noises and prevents rubbing the paint off so rust can form.

Wrapping in something will help keep the plate in good condition, but won’t help with the rattling and it won’t stop the chafing or contact to the paint. It’ll cut down on the impact, but it’ll still ruin the finish to some degree. Granted, it’ll take longer to rust.

On my vehicles, I put a foam strip on the backing area myself if there’s nothing there already. Makes it quieter and keeps the finish intact.
Hmmm interesting idea! I'm assuming I'd want to use a foam that is super tough? Some foam will break apart easily and not last for many years. Not sure the type of foam you can recommend?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
radeonboy wrote: Hmmm interesting idea! I'm assuming I'd want to use a foam that is super tough? Some foam will break apart easily and not last for many years. Not sure the type of foam you can recommend?
Look within a big box hardware store for draft stop strips or gap seal strips, etc. the adhivises are usually pretty good but not so good that they’ll pull the paint off, plus the foam itself is exposed to weather when applied around door jambs and the like so will last being behind a license plate.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Pretty sure radeonboy will be delighted with your comment...thanks for your contribution Lurky!
CanadianLurker wrote: Look within a big box hardware store for draft stop strips or gap seal strips, etc. the adhivises are usually pretty good but not so good that they’ll pull the paint off, plus the foam itself is exposed to weather when applied around door jambs and the like so will last being behind a license plate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
SUVs are always gonna be on the tailgate, but a majority of American cars, at least the cool ones, have the plate on the bumper, whereas with German and Japanese the majority are on the trunk.

But A for effort.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
prochargedv8 wrote: SUVs are always gonna be on the tailgate, but a majority of American cars, at least the cool ones, have the plate on the bumper, whereas with German and Japanese the majority are on the trunk.

But A for effort.
Lol is it majority or the "cool ones"? If it's the former, I suggest you take a step outside and look at the American cars on the road.

I guess the cool soccermoms drive the first gen prefacelift Traverse and Tiguans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Traverse

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Tiguan
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
Sorry but do you not know what a car is? And why are you so angry about this? Just hate muricans so much you must argue?
BeaverLiquor wrote: Lol is it majority or the "cool ones"? If it's the former, I suggest you take a step outside and look at the American cars on the road.

I guess the cool soccermoms drive the first gen prefacelift Traverse and Tiguans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Traverse

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Tiguan
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I put a few strips of foam tape on the back of the rear plate. Gotta keep that sick finish.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
prochargedv8 wrote: Sorry but do you not know what a car is? And why are you so angry about this? Just hate muricans so much you must argue?
Lol read your post I quoated and replied to.

I just like kicking the soap box out from under fanbois.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
Cars = sedans, coupes.

And you like starting arguments with fanboys because you're a fanboy for the other team, got it, I bet you love having your plate on the trunk so when you back Into other cars in your corolla you don't leave an imprint of your digits and you can make a clean getaway.

BeaverLiquor wrote: Lol read your post I quoated and replied to.

I just like kicking the soap box out from under fanbois.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
prochargedv8 wrote: Cars = sedans, coupes.

And you like starting arguments with fanboys because you're a fanboy for the other team, got it, I bet you love having your plate on the trunk so when you back Into other cars in your corolla you don't leave an imprint of your digits and you can make a clean getaway.
Lol, wrong again.
CanadianLurker wrote: Look within a big box hardware store for draft stop strips or gap seal strips, etc. the adhivises are usually pretty good but not so good that they’ll pull the paint off, plus the foam itself is exposed to weather when applied around door jambs and the like so will last being behind a license plate.
I stick the 3m foam to the plate and painter's tape to the paint of the car.
Images
  • 20180627_185213.jpg
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
hpad06 wrote: I am looking for one year old Toyota , notice many have rust or bubble caused by license plate. Looks like when people open trunk the plate touched the paint and caused the rust.

Our Camry plate rattled when trunk was closed and it was pretty obvious this was going to happen so I stuck some rubber pads under dealer plate holder.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)