Home & Garden

rusted and cracked kitchen sink drain pipes

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2022 10:00 am
[OP]
Member
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes

rusted and cracked kitchen sink drain pipes

recently, both sides of the kitchen sink were draining water very slowly.
i attempted to remove the p-trap to determine if there was any blockage, but as i tried to unscrew the nut, pipes broke. i think the rust made the pipes brittle.

one of the pipes that broke is soldered, so i guess i am going to have to call a plumber to fix this. Is this a simple fix and what advancements in pipe technology should i ask the plumber to incorporate? this is a 30+ year old set up.

i added two photos for entertainment pleasure - luckily i am not hosting any parties this weekend

thanks and happy new years

edit: i added a new picture of how it looks under the sink
Images
  • a.jpg
  • d.jpg
  • annoated.JPG
Last edited by ausername on Jan 1st, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4716 posts
2643 upvotes
ausername wrote: recently, both sides of the kitchen sink were draining water very slowly.
i attempted to remove the p-trap to determine if there was any blockage, but as i tried to unscrew the nut, pipes broke. i think the rust made the pipes brittle.

one of the pipes that broke is soldered, so i guess i am going to have to call a plumber to fix this. Is this a simple fix and what advancements in pipe technology should i ask the plumber to incorporate? this is a 30+ year old set up.

i added two photos for entertainment pleasure - luckily i am not hosting any parties this weekend

thanks and happy new years
They make flexible rubber coupling with hose clamp to transition between the old copper piping and the new ABS plastic piping you can use. It's actually fairly simple DIY if you can do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1133 posts
530 upvotes
GTA
Are you in a condo?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1133 posts
530 upvotes
GTA
Not a plumber, but you might have to put back copper there. ABS is not used in condos, I think pvc and or cpvc can be used, not 100% sure.
[OP]
Member
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
lamin wrote: Not a plumber, but you might have to put back copper there. ABS is not used in condos, I think pvc and or cpvc can be used, not 100% sure.
do you know why? is there a performance difference?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1133 posts
530 upvotes
GTA
Abs produces toxic smoke when burnt.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8434 posts
2085 upvotes
I hired a plumbing to replace all of this ...costed me 600$ to redo it because I installed a new sink at the same time. He used system 15 PVC piping for my condo.

Not sure if it's going to bite me later now that I am reading it has to be brass?
[OP]
Member
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: I hired a plumbing to replace all of this ...costed me 600$ to redo it because I installed a new sink at the same time. He used system 15 PVC piping for my condo.

Not sure if it's going to bite me later now that I am reading it has to be brass?
lol. i feel your pain... now i am wondering if this is an opportunity for me to get also get a new sink
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8434 posts
2085 upvotes
ausername wrote: lol. i feel your pain... now i am wondering if this is an opportunity for me to get also get a new sink
I assume you are still using the builder grade stuff? Deep sink made a huge difference for me...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4054 posts
3099 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Hot tip; don't use Draino or any other chemical to clear clogs.
I can guarantee you this is the reason the trap rotted out.
Buy some quality sink stainers to keep shmoo out of your trap, and you'll never have an issue with blockage,.
[OP]
Member
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Hot tip; don't use Draino or any other chemical to clear clogs.
I can guarantee you this is the reason the trap rotted out.
Buy some quality sink stainers to keep shmoo out of your trap, and you'll never have an issue with blockage,.
i dont use draino or other chemicals.. every few months i pour vinegar down my drains and let it sit for half an hour, or i just remove the p-trap to clear out any clogs, or i snake it.

thanks for the strainer suggestion, i may get these
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7495 posts
8008 upvotes
ausername wrote: i dont use draino or other chemicals.. every few months i pour vinegar down my drains and let it sit for half an hour, or i just remove the p-trap to clear out any clogs, or i snake it.

thanks for the strainer suggestion, i may get these
My guess is someone (possibly before you own the condo if you don't use those) used harsh chemicals. Or your condo is pretty old.

HOT vinegar, with baking soda. Rinse with hot water thereafter. Drano and all those chemicals are so effective to unclog that it is too strong for the pipes materiel. Whatever material it is.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
5275 posts
2714 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: I hired a plumbing to replace all of this ...costed me 600$ to redo it because I installed a new sink at the same time. He used system 15 PVC piping for my condo.

Not sure if it's going to bite me later now that I am reading it has to be brass?
System-XFR is typically used for high rise as it meets building codes for use in plenums and meets flame spread and smoke development requirements for high rise non combustible buildings.

System 15 is only rated for use in low rise and light commercial as it’s only classification is for flame spread
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Member
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: System-XFR is typically used for high rise as it meets building codes for use in plenums and meets flame spread and smoke development requirements for high rise non combustible buildings.

System 15 is only rated for use in low rise and light commercial as it’s only classification is for flame spread
Happy New Years Red Army... you saved me a couple hundred bucks a few years ago with your advice.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6424 posts
2016 upvotes
0 downvotes
wow that much rotten pipe? your building certainly may not be new? is it old by any chance? yes they sell those pieces but ive only seen them plastic, not metal. maybe u need a professional plumber to fix it?
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2012
510 posts
391 upvotes
Hamilton
my pipe looked just like that and i was in a 9year old condo. It was unbelievable. it just crumbled when i touched it. the plumber said the previous owner must have used tons of drano.

you will need to replace it with another brass fitting, those are the condo rules.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
7137 posts
2749 upvotes
GTA
There is a complete metal replacement kit available that includes P trap and slip joint to connect to sink tailpiece. The kit has a slip joint to slide over the pipe existing the wall....hopefully that is not rotted out? The XFR pvc Red Army mentioned also used a slip joint to go from existing drain to PVC.

Considering its a condo do bring in a licensed/insured plumber for this job-last thing you want is water leaking down that wall into the unit below.

Top