Tags:
Jul 17, 2006
170 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto

Rustproofing

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2022 Honda HR-V.

Is it worthwhile to purchase the rustproofing from Honda directly or would I be better off getting it done afterwards somewhere else?

If the recommendation is to go outside Honda to do it, does anyone have any suggestions of good places to get rustproofing done?

Thanks.
26 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13285 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Krown

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Don't do Krown, it will swell your rubber. Do Corrosion Free, or some other rubber safe spray.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 25, 2019
441 posts
1075 upvotes
Do not buy from the dealer... its is 10x-15x more than what it cost for them.

Any my god stay away from the 'Electronic Modules' ... pure hot garbage that cost the dealers 100-150 and they charge $1200-1500 for them.
I really do appreciate the messages I get from people asking if they can buy from me or my dealership but I am NOT here to sell anything or get deals for my dealership.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Def NOT getting it at dealer.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: Don't do Krown, it will swell your rubber. Do Corrosion Free, or some other rubber safe spray.
News to me, but good advice nonetheless!
Jul 17, 2006
170 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Don't do Krown, it will swell your rubber. Do Corrosion Free, or some other rubber safe spray.
Thanks. Where can I get Corrosion Free applied? I checked their site and it looks like Canadian Tire only?

Thanks everyone for your responses so far!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
DTOM wrote: Thanks. Where can I get Corrosion Free applied? I checked their site and it looks like Canadian Tire only?

https://corrosionfree.com/find-a-dealer/
Nov 18, 2012
428 posts
476 upvotes
Oshawa
DTOM wrote: Thanks. Where can I get Corrosion Free applied? I checked their site and it looks like Canadian Tire only?

Yes use corrosion free... I use a place called 'Attention to detail' http://attentiontodetailauto.com/ on Ritson road in Oshawa. Nice guys, family owned shop and do a really nice job. They also for a extra few $$ will remove any shielding/ panels on the bottom of the vehicle and spray the floor pan and gang pipes. Then put everything back in place .
Public Mobile
Koodo
Freedom Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
NO do not get rust proofing at dealer. its like a rubberish compound they spray on and tell you never worry about rust again. BS.

that suff will crack, let water in, and rust through the metal without anyone seeing it.

i use fluid film . ive heard of krowne. seems others recomend corrioson free which i have no experience but if they say its good, i would trust them.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: does it actually hurt the rubber parts of the car?
Re krown

Depends on the car in my experience.

My toyota has no swelling. My nissan some mild on a bit of rubber under hood. Former Chev cruze I ended up replacing all the door weatherstripping. Equinox at work has been sprayed for 7 years and no swelling.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
sandalwood wrote: Yes use corrosion free... I use a place called 'Attention to detail' http://attentiontodetailauto.com/ on Ritson road in Oshawa. Nice guys, family owned shop and do a really nice job. They also for a extra few $$ will remove any shielding/ panels on the bottom of the vehicle and spray the floor pan and gang pipes. Then put everything back in place .
i looked up corrosion free service palces and their all canadian tires. i trust the stuff, not sure if i trust canadian tire doing it though lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Drilling holes will void any corrosion warranty from the manufacturer and the rustproofing warranty is basically worthless from the rustproofers.

I DIY'd Corrosion Free but I'm not too sold on how safe it is on rubber and it's too soon to see any problems, but I'll see how well it held up when I touch-up it this fall.

Maybe only do under coating and probably only be worthwhile if you plan on keeping the car long-term but that is up to you.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
A couple of cans of aerosol fluid film every spring and an hour of your time should provide a layer of protection underneath your car.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i looked up corrosion free service palces and their all canadian tires. i trust the stuff, not sure if i trust canadian tire doing it though lol
lol, that sucks. I'd look up individual store reviews then. Some of them probably aren't that bad, since they're franchised. They might be better in smaller cities.

You could DIY with Fluid Film. Most important areas are inside panels, like door panels, trunk lid, hood, wheel wells and under door/trunk latches.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
I used to get my Jeep and a couple other cars I had before that done every other year at Robinson Automotive in Miss. They used Corrosion Free. They always did a good job on coverage, and the one and only time I thought they missed something, they pulled it back in and redid that area which was great to see.
I don't go there anymore with the cars I have now. I just buy the Corrosion Free cans at CT and do the areas that look like they need it every year, or when I have something apart...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Sep 15th, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 7, 2013
855 posts
526 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
sandalwood wrote: Yes use corrosion free... I use a place called 'Attention to detail' http://attentiontodetailauto.com/ on Ritson road in Oshawa. Nice guys, family owned shop and do a really nice job. They also for a extra few $$ will remove any shielding/ panels on the bottom of the vehicle and spray the floor pan and gang pipes. Then put everything back in place .
I've used them too. Seem good
Feb 6, 2018
122 posts
36 upvotes
redblack wrote: A couple of cans of aerosol fluid film every spring and an hour of your time should provide a layer of protection underneath your car.
This. FF works great and is inexpensive.
Oct 25, 2020
564 posts
502 upvotes
redblack wrote: A couple of cans of aerosol fluid film every spring and an hour of your time should provide a layer of protection underneath your car.
Fluidfilm now offers "black" Variant which I picked up this year. Added bonus of visually cleaning everything up.