Travel

RV Rental (Interested in Class B or Conversion Van)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2020 3:23 pm
[OP]
May 23, 2017
202 posts
15 upvotes

RV Rental (Interested in Class B or Conversion Van)

We live in Markham, Ontario. Thinking of renting a class B RV/conversion van ( eg. Roadtrek, Pleasure-way....) for a 1-2 week road trip.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a good place to rent?

Thanks so much
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5349 posts
2365 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Canadream or Fraserway. Cruise Canada/America best avoided reportedly. There may be smaller RVrentalcos.

If you want to go private you could try RVEzy or outdoorsy.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Jun 4, 2020
347 posts
275 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Our plans all got pooched this summer, but we were looking at RVEZY. Can't vouch for them.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5349 posts
2365 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
KevinM56081 wrote: but we were looking at RVEZY. Can't vouch for them.
I arranged a rental through RVEzy last week for next month (so it is a pending rental). Went to see the RV and talk with the owner. Condition of the RV is going to be a risk and vary so I'd advise going to see the RV before making any commitments.

Also done a X-C rental with Canadream.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5058 posts
2123 upvotes
markham
treksub wrote: We live in Markham, Ontario. Thinking of renting a class B RV/conversion van ( eg. Roadtrek, Pleasure-way....) for a 1-2 week road trip.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a good place to rent?

Thanks so much
did that once..thought we would stay-cay with 2 kids....after all was said and done...good bonding experience was overshadowed by : cost, hassle, unforeseen inconvenience among a list of other negatives that make me shake my head in the end as it was all really hard work and took a lot more effort and money than ever anticipated...after all was said and done..spent as much as an all inclusive trip and compounded it with all the headaches involved....said never again
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5991 posts
1832 upvotes
Montreal
cardguy wrote: did that once..thought we would stay-cay with 2 kids....after all was said and done...good bonding experience was overshadowed by : cost, hassle, unforeseen inconvenience among a list of other negatives that make me shake my head in the end as it was all really hard work and took a lot more effort and money than ever anticipated...after all was said and done..spent as much as an all inclusive trip and compounded it with all the headaches involved....said never again
What did you rent and what type of unforeseen problems did you have?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1438 posts
317 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Yes, RVEZ and Ruckify are two companies that work like AirBnB, where RV-owners rent out their RVs
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5349 posts
2365 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just a warning about the pitfalls of private rental. Just got a notification from the owner of the RV we booked through RVEzy. RV was damaged and cannot be repaired in time so it's cancelled (< 2 weeks). Fortunately we are flexible and only have minimal investment (~$22in reservations) but disappointing nonetheless. Two other Class As but one is somewhat far away and the other is quite expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5058 posts
2123 upvotes
markham
psyko514 wrote: What did you rent and what type of unforeseen problems did you have?
was about 20 years ago..
Winnebago type RV..no pull out but full ride bunk and pull out bed in front and full king in back
full kitchen and bath too.
Drove to South Bend
(Notre Dame to see Rudy)

rental ($180/day) was a lot more than I anticipated..parking...driving what was a bus, overnight Walmart was always cool and free and 24 hrs...fuels was probably another 200/day easy..and we had toilet issue (stopped working halfway through)..
...and someone always has to drive
Mar 13, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes
Just buy a used one, use it and sell it when you're done for what you paid. There are RV's and B-vans all over kijiji "just got back from a cross Canada trip". Rental RV's cost way too much
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3622 posts
2981 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Just a warning about the pitfalls of private rental. Just got a notification from the owner of the RV we booked through RVEzy. RV was damaged and cannot be repaired in time so it's cancelled (< 2 weeks). Fortunately we are flexible and only have minimal investment (~$22in reservations) but disappointing nonetheless. Two other Class As but one is somewhat far away and the other is quite expensive.
My neighbor has their RV in the daily rental pool and for them, damages are quite common. They were telling me that the vast majority of their rentals have had some sort of damage. For most renters, this is the first time that they have ever driven or operated a RV and the unfamiliarity with them more often than not leads to damages. If you plan to rent one, be prepared to have to forfeit some or all of your damage deposit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5349 posts
2365 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
skeet50 wrote: My neighbor has their RV in the daily rental pool and for them, damages are quite common. They were telling me that the vast majority of their rentals have had some sort of damage. For most renters, this is the first time that they have ever driven or operated a RV and the unfamiliarity with them more often than not leads to damages. If you plan to rent one, be prepared to have to forfeit some or all of your damage deposit.
I wouldn't be too surprised. Probably a great number of renters who 1) don't drive much/don't much driving experience (all the younger people who don't have DLs), 2) have never driven anything larger than a small SUV (No U-Haul or anything, not even a panel van.), 3) lots of things that may be obvious that I haven't thought about. I typed to the owner (even asked the height weeks before I rented) and it appeared the renter broke the rear cap and gashed the side backing into a supermarket loading dock (and this in an RV with a back up camera - which admittedly might only look low). Why the renter was in the dock in the first place? Drove into the parking lot and couldn't find a place to park, or turn around, or ??? $10k in damage and out at least a month.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5991 posts
1832 upvotes
Montreal
cardguy wrote: was about 20 years ago..
Winnebago type RV..no pull out but full ride bunk and pull out bed in front and full king in back
full kitchen and bath too.
Drove to South Bend
(Notre Dame to see Rudy)

rental ($180/day) was a lot more than I anticipated..parking...driving what was a bus, overnight Walmart was always cool and free and 24 hrs...fuels was probably another 200/day easy..and we had toilet issue (stopped working halfway through)..
...and someone always has to drive
Some of those things (like cost, fuel and driving) shouldn't have been unforeseen. Also, someone always has to drive regardless of what you're driving ;)

I'm surprised cost was that high back them because that's still the ballpark price nowadays and a lot has changed with RVs in the last 20 years.

It's definitely something I wouldn't recommend doing if you haven't any experience with RVs or trailers. Also, if you have the capacity to tow, I'd recommend renting a trailer over an RV.