Students

Ryerson - Part-Time Degree vs Full-Time Degree

[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham

Ryerson - Part-Time Degree vs Full-Time Degree

I'm in second year for the part-time ITM degree program. Are there any advantages to going full-time?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2497 posts
447 upvotes
Finishing faster?

Whether to go full-time or part-time is really up to how this fits into your life. Why are you asking us?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
Phlegmbot wrote: Finishing faster?

Whether to go full-time or part-time is really up to how this fits into your life. Why are you asking us?
But you can still take as many courses as you want in P/T, and don't have to pay extra for a laptop.
I'm just wondering why everyone is trying so hard to get into F/T when P/T has more advantages (at least to me).
Phlegmbot wrote: Why are you asking us?
Because I've heard mixed responses from both friends and Ryerson staff. Ryerson staff says that the only difference is the degree in the end. It says Part-Time instead of Full-time on the degree. But then why do people spend thousands on an ITM laptop when that's the only difference?
Someone please clarify.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 17, 2006
3356 posts
68 upvotes
You can only take courses through CE and can't take them during the day. =P

And the ITM laptop is a pure scam you pay extra 900-1000$ each year and in the end you don't get to keep it. Instead you have the option to buy it back at the MKT price when you graduate. *sigh*
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
darkprince wrote: You can only take courses through CE and can't take them during the day. =P
Is there anything wrong with CE? I'm working this semester so night classes are perfect for my schedule.
As long as the credits go towards my final degree, then I see no reason in going F/T and paying thousands towards a laptop I don't need.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 17, 2006
3356 posts
68 upvotes
darius_m5 wrote: Is there anything wrong with CE? I'm working this semester so night classes are perfect for my schedule.
As long as the credits go towards my final degree, then I see no reason in going F/T and paying thousands towards a laptop I don't need.

There isn't any difference just that FT students gets first dibs when it comes to course selection and health insurance is only available to FT students. Its pretty mch the same you have to take the exact same courses as the FT in order to graduate it, difference is your schedule and the stuff mention above.

O ya the instructors teaching at CE usually are more reasonable when it comes to marking. Whereas the Day classes Profs are usually more strict when its comes marking
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
darkprince wrote: There isn't any difference just that FT students gets first dibs when it comes to course selection and health insurance is only available to FT students. Its pretty mch the same you have to take the exact same courses as the FT in order to graduate it, difference is your schedule and the stuff mention above.

O ya the instructors teaching at CE usually are more reasonable when it comes to marking. Whereas the Day classes Profs are usually more strict when its comes marking
Thanks for the reply. It's starting to make more sense.
But in my context, F/T still seems unnecessary.
Because:
- I have a nice laptop already
- I have medical insurance already
- P/T course selection is very flexible and easy (more so than my UOttawa, my previous school)
- I like the timings of P/T (after work, no traffic)
- Best of all, I get a degree, while not breaking the bank.

I just had a thought. Anyone know if OSAP is offered to P/T students?? That might be a big factor for people.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43709 posts
6938 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
darkprince wrote: You can only take courses through CE and can't take them during the day. =P

And the ITM laptop is a pure scam you pay extra 900-1000$ each year and in the end you don't get to keep it. Instead you have the option to buy it back at the MKT price when you graduate. *sigh*
Hi,
Im a p/t ryerson degree student currently taking the public administration program...
You can take both day/night courses as long as the course applies to your degree.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote: Hi,
Im a p/t ryerson degree student currently taking the public administration program...
You can take both day/night courses as long as the course applies to your degree.
Interesting. So can you take liberal courses too?
Member
Sep 10, 2008
203 posts
1 upvote
The only difference is that P/T studies have more *older* people with a lot of experience and knowledge. Whereas F/T consist of mostly the younger generation.

When it comes to group work in Part Time studies, it might be harder to manage because older adults will be spending their time with family+work.

The only advantage of going full time is if you want to find a girlfriend or boyfriend.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
HB85 wrote: The only difference is that P/T studies have more *older* people with a lot of experience and knowledge. Whereas F/T consist of mostly the younger generation.

When it comes to group work in Part Time studies, it might be harder to manage because older adults will be spending their time with family+work.

The only advantage of going full time is if you want to find a girlfriend or boyfriend.
Lol, the young generation in Ryerson is why I regret going there.
Aside from the focused students and some hot chicks, the gangsters pi** me off.
I had some phases too in high school, but by University, I matured.
I've noticed they're mostly Tamil's though.
Jr. Member
Dec 27, 2007
188 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
darius_m5 wrote: I'm in second year for the part-time ITM degree program. Are there any advantages to going full-time?

Is it possible to work a 9-5 and do this course? what time do classes start? I am interested in doing this degree part time but cannot leave my work place.

Any info would be appreciated
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
lucidmc wrote: Is it possible to work a 9-5 and do this course? what time do classes start? I am interested in doing this degree part time but cannot leave my work place.

Any info would be appreciated

Almost all night classes begin at 6:30 PM.
Newbie
Jun 2, 2016
12 posts
Anybody know if Part-time Computer Science students are allowed to take day classes as well?
Member
Sep 23, 2011
306 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
LM335927 wrote: Anybody know if Part-time Computer Science students are allowed to take day classes as well?
Part-time students are allowed to take day classes. You can combine day and evening classes.

Top