Students

Ryerson U, Guelph U, or York U. for mechanical engineering

[OP]
Newbie
May 24, 2021
1 posts

Ryerson U, Guelph U, or York U. for mechanical engineering

I was accepted into Ryerson, york, and U of guelph all for mechanical engineering, at first I was fully decided on going to Guelph but the issue with it is that the commute is very long (I live in Brampton). most of my friends are going to York and Ryerson but I don't really care about that it would just be a plus if I do go there. I'm very split right now with this decision and I don't know what to do, what should I do?
13 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 6, 2007
2885 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Do any of these programs have co-op? If so that would be higher on my priority list.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3569 posts
1318 upvotes
Woodbridge
Musiq Soulchild wrote: Do any of these programs have co-op? If so that would be higher on my priority list.
I think this advice is definitely true and applicable for more or less any post-secondary pathway. If you can earn your degree while also developing experience in the field and building your professional network, take that avenue. And if you can't, maybe take some time to speak with people in the industry and ask them what's better - a degree from a less prestigious university* with a co-op program might be more favourable in your field than a degree from a more prestigious university that doesn't provide that experience.

*or college... colleges offer Bachelor degrees and Stats Canada published research on job outlooks of both: here and here
Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2015
798 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto, ON
All three are pretty equal, but personally I'd choose either York/Ryerson.

Both York and Ryerson have some sort of co-op/internship work term kind of program, so they're both equal.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
Just purely based on my opinion of reputation not knowing these programs, I would pick Ryerson.

(I am a UofT Engineering graduate, 1994)
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
Nevyn wrote: Just purely based on my opinion of reputation not knowing these programs, I would pick Ryerson.

(I am a UofT Engineering graduate, 1994)
Just realized that the deadline for choosing passed on Tuesday. So my answer was doubly useless
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2009
774 posts
861 upvotes
I would pick York - seems to be the better school amongst the three. When it comes to recruitement later on, more employers will likley recruit there....
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1026 posts
116 upvotes
PTMBAA wrote: I would pick York - seems to be the better school amongst the three. When it comes to recruitement later on, more employers will likley recruit there....
Questions: Why and how it seems?
Questions: Why and how recruitment happens there?
I am just facilitating the discussion.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Jr. Member
Sep 25, 2020
184 posts
89 upvotes
MaoozAhmed wrote: I was accepted into Ryerson, york, and U of guelph all for mechanical engineering, at first I was fully decided on going to Guelph but the issue with it is that the commute is very long (I live in Brampton). most of my friends are going to York and Ryerson but I don't really care about that it would just be a plus if I do go there. I'm very split right now with this decision and I don't know what to do, what should I do?
Pick the one that has co-op opportunity.
If none of the programs have co-op, it doesn't matter which school you go to.
Then pick the school closer to home (save commute time) etc.

What I learned after graduating from university is that it's not about the school you go to. Going to school is all about NETWORKING with people, meeting as many people as possible so they can help you find a job in the future.
------
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
1278 posts
297 upvotes
Pick the one with the least total overall cost, and save your money for post-undergrad studies.

Under grad degrees of all types have pretty much been commodified and it makes very little diference where you do an undergrad, at least when it comes to Canadian schools.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4338 posts
885 upvotes
Toronto
camzie wrote: Under grad degrees of all types have pretty much been commodified and it makes very little diference where you do an undergrad, at least when it comes to Canadian schools.
I agree with you in principle, but I do think co-op vs. non-co-op makes a difference.
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2017
779 posts
331 upvotes
Nevyn wrote: Just purely based on my opinion of reputation not knowing these programs, I would pick Ryerson.

(I am a UofT Engineering graduate, 1994)

Sweet Jebus. Rye High is a joke.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: Sweet Jebus. Rye High is a joke.
The Electrical engineering grads that I’ve worked with have been pretty good. Maybe the manager is good at screening the poor candidates.
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
733 posts
436 upvotes
Ryerson is the more mature school for mechanical engineering. Based on Engineers Canada Guelphs mechanical degree got accredited in 2013 and Yorks in the same time frame.

Top