Home & Garden

Ryobi 16-inch lawn mower replacement blade. Where to buy?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2020 9:23 am
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 21, 2016
22 posts
12 upvotes

Ryobi 16-inch lawn mower replacement blade. Where to buy?

I bought a Ryobi 16-inch 40v lawn mower (model RY40104) in 2016. It has been working great but the original blade is substantially worn out so I decided to buy a new one.
I went to home depot. They only have 20-inch blade on shelf for $20. I checked their website and found the 16-inch blade sells for $55 which is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement blade with reasonable price? Or any other non-Ryobi brand that is compatible with my lawn mower? Thank you RFDers.
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4602 posts
1616 upvotes
Adrian7456 wrote: I bought a Ryobi 16-inch 40v lawn mower (model RY40104) in 2016. It has been working great but the original blade is substantially worn out so I decided to buy a new one.
I went to home depot. They only have 20-inch blade on shelf for $20. I checked their website and found the 16-inch blade sells for $55 which is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement blade with reasonable price? Or any other non-Ryobi brand that is compatible with my lawn mower? Thank you RFDers.
Try Replacementparts.com - Blade is in Part B.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
Adrian7456 wrote: I bought a Ryobi 16-inch 40v lawn mower (model RY40104) in 2016. It has been working great but the original blade is substantially worn out so I decided to buy a new one.
I went to home depot. They only have 20-inch blade on shelf for $20. I checked their website and found the 16-inch blade sells for $55 which is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement blade with reasonable price? Or any other non-Ryobi brand that is compatible with my lawn mower? Thank you RFDers.
Why not just sharpen it? Easy to do at home with a grinder (bench or hand). Or have someone else sharpen it. it'll be sharper than any stock blade.
If it's too damaged to be sharped, look on kijiji for lawnmower blades. It doesn't have to be a ryobi brand, it just has to fit.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 21, 2016
22 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks. I found the blade on their website. It is decent price US$8.29. However, the shipping fee to Ontario becomes roughly $50 CAD. Sadly this seems not an option. Thank you anyway.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 21, 2016
22 posts
12 upvotes
engineered wrote: Why not just sharpen it? Easy to do at home with a grinder (bench or hand). Or have someone else sharpen it. it'll be sharper than any stock blade.
If it's too damaged to be sharped, look on kijiji for lawnmower blades. It doesn't have to be a ryobi brand, it just has to fit.
I do not have a grinder at home. There is also no incentive for me to spend maybe $60 - $100 on the tool.
I already tried Kijiji but did not find a Ryobi 16-inch blade. I did not find a universal blade stating it is compatible with Ryobi. I do not know if it can be used. Even among the universal ones, 16-inch size blade is very rare. I guess only Ryobi has 16" mowers so it does not worth manufacturing it.
I would not deny getting someone sharpen the blade but where can I find this service (in York Region)? At a reasonable price?
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2006
561 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Adrian7456 wrote: I do not have a grinder at home. There is also no incentive for me to spend maybe $60 - $100 on the tool.
You can buy a metal file and for $12 to sharpen the blade.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
Adrian7456 wrote: I do not have a grinder at home. There is also no incentive for me to spend maybe $60 - $100 on the tool.
I already tried Kijiji but did not find a Ryobi 16-inch blade. I did not find a universal blade stating it is compatible with Ryobi. I do not know if it can be used. Even among the universal ones, 16-inch size blade is very rare. I guess only Ryobi has 16" mowers so it does not worth manufacturing it.
I would not deny getting someone sharpen the blade but where can I find this service (in York Region)? At a reasonable price?
I think I bought my bench grinder for about $40-60. Hand grinder for about $20-30 on sale (need a vice as well). With that, then you can have a sharp blade at the start of every season.
Otherwise you can probably google knife sharpening, or small motor repair and find something local. In my neighbourhood, there's a guy that drives around offering knife/tool sharpening.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 21, 2016
22 posts
12 upvotes
engineered wrote: I think I bought my bench grinder for about $40-60. Hand grinder for about $20-30 on sale (need a vice as well). With that, then you can have a sharp blade at the start of every season.
Otherwise you can probably google knife sharpening, or small motor repair and find something local. In my neighbourhood, there's a guy that drives around offering knife/tool sharpening.
Googled and found a local sharpening store that had the blade sharpened for me. Very good price for only 10 bucks. Thank for your advice.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
Adrian7456 wrote: Googled and found a local sharpening store that had the blade sharpened for me. Very good price for only 10 bucks. Thank for your advice.
Nice, and glad to hear something was reused rather than thrown out. Also supported a local business rather than something new from China.

Top