• Nov 12th, 2020 7:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
217 posts
145 upvotes

Is ryobi any good?

My charger died after year of light use so did a couple air inflators.
17 replies
Apr 18, 2017
706 posts
1355 upvotes
I've had no problems with my stuff. Granted, I don't have a compressor or anything from them.
Apr 5, 2017
956 posts
711 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Isn't it a Home Depot store/exclusive brand?

I bought the black friday special deal they had last year (impact, drill, two batteries) for $90. So far so good. I'm waiting to see what sales they have with Ryobi stuff this year.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2807 posts
1826 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tehwegz wrote: Isn't it a Home Depot store/exclusive brand?

I bought the black friday special deal they had last year (impact, drill, two batteries) for $90. So far so good. I'm waiting to see what sales they have with Ryobi stuff this year.
It is HD brand, but somehow you find it on amazon and even walmart.ca. No idea how it ends up there.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42574 posts
6825 upvotes
Ryobi is not a Home Depot brand. It is sold over globally. Or at least I think it is not a HD brand.

Our friends Mighty Car Mods in Aussie have a lot of Ryobi products.

@tehwegz @canoek
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1840 posts
1359 upvotes
Toronto
tehwegz wrote: Isn't it a Home Depot store/exclusive brand?

Ridgid brand of tools is exclusively made for Home Depot by Emerson.
Nov 10, 2015
326 posts
278 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Ryobi is the entry level brand for homeowners.
Not that reliable and very poor performance.

Bare minimum id get is rigid for diy stuff and they have good warranties. Milwaukee/dewalt for heavier use and a wider selection of tools
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5743 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote: Ridgid brand of tools is exclusively made for Home Depot by Emerson.
Emerson mostly make the hand tools, the battery and power tools for both Ridgid and Ryobi are mostly made by TTI.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21554 posts
3457 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ryobi is just fine for a home owner. Done plenty of extensive reno's with them. Sure there are better out there, but Ryobi is more than adequate.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2807 posts
1826 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djemzine wrote: Ryobi is not a Home Depot brand. It is sold over globally. Or at least I think it is not a HD brand.

Our friends Mighty Car Mods in Aussie have a lot of Ryobi products.

@tehwegz @canoek
They are supposed to have an exclusivity deal with HD, but somehow you can find both Ridgid and Ryobi on amazon. Not the full selection, just some tools here and there.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8031 posts
3324 upvotes
Financial District B…
Ryobi is more-so directed at DYI'ers.
Ryobi is owned by TTi as is Ridgid, Milwaukee, Homelite, Empire, Hoover and a host of other tool brands.
Ryobi tools most resemble Ridgid tools as some of them are identical, just the name is different.
They make fine tools at reasonable prices. While Ryobi has an exclusive whole-tool agreement with Home Depot some Ryobi small parts and batteries can be bought from WalMart Canada
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
217 posts
145 upvotes
I did a search of ryobi 30 minute charger and it seems you can't leave the battery in for more than 40 minutes. Tape your receipt to back of charger. Mastercraft quality.
Apr 5, 2017
956 posts
711 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Good, actionable info in here. Will be better armed for the upcoming sales. See what's good this year.

I've used a lot of cheap brands. Jobmate, Mastercraft, Motomaster, Black & Decker. Great throw away worthless crap I don't have to care about wrecking or getting stolen. Just for the odd home/auto DIY.

Ryobi is better quality than all of those to me, so far. Definitely a happy medium for my home DIY applications. The versatility and interchangeability with their line of products is also unmatched for the price.

Save my good stuff for on the job.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2883 posts
1188 upvotes
GTA
I've had my Ryobi inflator since ~spring of this year, it's worked fine...

It's definitely home DIY'er grade, and prced as such
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29121 posts
9627 upvotes
Small tyre compressors (I assume that's what you mean by inflator) will always burn out at some point. Not a matter of if but when. This is why I don't recommend buying the pricey cordless ones because they're gonna break eventually and even if you get one replaced under warranty the replacement will burn out later too. It's the nature of small compressors like that. This is why I'm surprised Ridgid released their cordless compressor--with the LSA it's the only one I'd ever consider buying. Otherwise save your money and buy decent 12V (wired) ones--they'll last the same few years before giving up the ghost and won't cost $100 in doing so.

There's nothing terribly wrong with Ryobi, it's good DIY stuff. It's not the greatest but that's why TTI has different lines including Ryobi, Hart, Ridgid, and Milwaukee, which also happen to come at different price points.

Whatever you do, don't judge any brand by the longevity or quality of some dinky failure-inevitable compressor. Even the Milwaukuee one is not going to last forever, but just because a compressor dies, don't mean Milwaukee sucks so don't go thinking that's the case with Ryobi either.
Jan 22, 2012
592 posts
221 upvotes
Bradford
I have had my Ryobi drill and impact driver for 10 years. The batteries are still good.
You can’t beat the value for the price. Excellent homeowner tool and I have done lots of projects with them. I wouldn’t want to use them for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, but that’s not what they’re designed for.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
217 posts
145 upvotes
billford wrote: Since you have multiple failures, are you storing your power tools in a dry area?
If you store them in a humid area, like a garage, put them in a sealed box.
Failed within a few weeks. Electronic problems.