Ryzen 3 3100 & 3300X - New budget Gaming CPUs Announced

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 8:13 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote: Is it just me or all these reviewers comparing it to the 7700K, which is great because that's the CPU I have, but for ALL of them to directly compare it to this one, single Intel CPU... hmmmmmmmmmmm
It's a good relative yardstick, I think. Faster than an i7-6700K, but not as fast as an i7-8700, which has more cores and threads.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8459 upvotes
GTA
Keigotw wrote: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Overclocked to Nearly 6 GHz

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r ... clock-6ghz
On the opposite end of the spectrum and somewhat related

Intel Core i9-10900K hits 93 degrees Celsius...with a 240mm liquid cooler

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Toasty-In ... 855.0.html

A few more degrees and it could double to boil your tea
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
It's too bad there haven't been any decent deals on any Ryzens since the lockdown. I could really use a few for some new builds but even the older stuff is overpriced now...
Aug 23, 2019
668 posts
519 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: Is it just me or all these reviewers comparing it to the 7700K, which is great because that's the CPU I have, but for ALL of them to directly compare it to this one, single Intel CPU... hmmmmmmmmmmm
Well many reasons for it

1. can't/won't really compare against their own products or at least before pitting against intels, and also because it's from a new generation of product AND a new price tier (low end/budget) and not an APU (Cpu+gpu).

2. Amd wasn't decisively beating Intel (gaming,apps,demanding tasks) in the ~$100-120USD price range . the 2600/1600AF lagged in games a bit. 3600 was/is out of this range. So now you pretty much have Intel 9400F 9100 that dont have hyper threading and can't compete or the chips with HT are good all around products like a 6700k, 7700k, etc, They all should be priced well below $200 now but theyre not because there was no competition there and intel doesn't offer much.

3. Generates hype for their Zen 3 (4000) products it's almost like a teaser (omg amd beating intel imagine how great the 6/8/12/16 core chips will be)

I mean there's also some click baiting but i don't think it's too over the top and mostly for healthy competition.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
txenglan wrote: It's too bad there haven't been any decent deals on any Ryzens since the lockdown. I could really use a few for some new builds but even the older stuff is overpriced now...
Some are $40 to $50 from Canada Computers. The 3600 to 3900 series.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Some are $40 to $50 from Canada Computers. The 3600 to 3900 series.
Not sure I understand....
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Sorry - $30 to $80 off from the regular price for the 3600/3600x, 3700x, 3800x and 3900x from my observation recently on the Canada Computers website.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=4_64
According to them but if you look at the historical pricing over the last year, all of it is way more expensive than it was right up until covid-19 showed up. Don't be fooled by what they claim the "regular" price is.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
txenglan wrote: According to them but if you look at the historical pricing over the last year, all of it is way more expensive than it was right up until covid-19 showed up. Don't be fooled by what they claim the "regular" price is.
Ah okay. Noted. I am hoping these drop down once the Ryzen 4 series comes by. Hopefully the Ryzen 4 series is competitive too.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Ah okay. Noted. I am hoping these drop down once the Ryzen 4 series comes by. Hopefully the Ryzen 4 series is competitive too.
Don't get me wrong, even though Ryzens have shot up in price, they're all still far superior value to any of Intel's offerings but I think all hardware is trending on the more expensive end of the spectrum and I fear that because sales haven't really been affected, these CPUs are going to end up being more expensive in the medium and long term and certainly more so than they were a year ago, regardless of the imminent release of the new gen stuff. I mean for reference, there was even a quick Amazon sale of the 2700x during December that was around $120 or something crazy. Hell, I'd jump on a deal for that processor at anything less than $200
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Don't get me wrong, even though Ryzens have shot up in price, they're all still far superior value to any of Intel's offerings but I think all hardware is trending on the more expensive end of the spectrum and I fear that because sales haven't really been affected, these CPUs are going to end up being more expensive in the medium and long term and certainly more so than they were a year ago, regardless of the imminent release of the new gen stuff. I mean for reference, there was even a quick Amazon sale of the 2700x during December that was around $120 or something crazy. Hell, I'd jump on a deal for that processor at anything less than $200
All good and noted :)

I guess we just have to wait for a good sale. Here's hoping. Long overdue for a system and I am tossed up between the 3300X up until the 3800X. Or waiting to see what's in store for the new batch of the 4 series.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
djemzine wrote: All good and noted :)

I guess we just have to wait for a good sale. Here's hoping. Long overdue for a system and I am tossed up between the 3300X up until the 3800X. Or waiting to see what's in store for the new batch of the 4 series.
I'm in the same boat. I have two separate builds I need to do with various Ryzens so anxiously waiting to see if we get anything close to the deals we'd been happening before lock down :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Zarkey wrote: Well many reasons for it

1. can't/won't really compare against their own products or at least before pitting against intels, and also because it's from a new generation of product AND a new price tier (low end/budget) and not an APU (Cpu+gpu).

2. Amd wasn't decisively beating Intel (gaming,apps,demanding tasks) in the ~$100-120USD price range . the 2600/1600AF lagged in games a bit. 3600 was/is out of this range. So now you pretty much have Intel 9400F 9100 that dont have hyper threading and can't compete or the chips with HT are good all around products like a 6700k, 7700k, etc, They all should be priced well below $200 now but theyre not because there was no competition there and intel doesn't offer much.

3. Generates hype for their Zen 3 (4000) products it's almost like a teaser (omg amd beating intel imagine how great the 6/8/12/16 core chips will be)

I mean there's also some click baiting but i don't think it's too over the top and mostly for healthy competition.
Seems quite odd though, I mean LTT goes into detail about comparing it to the 7700K and from personal experience, though that bought that CPU back in the day, aren't going to consider the 3300X as a replacement/upgrade eh?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)