• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2019 7:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes

Ryzen 3000 Series Discussion

Is AMD going to announce a release date this Sunday at Computex?! If so, when will it be released?

Are we going to see a significance performance increase without a significant price increase?

Discuss.
225 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7092 posts
1425 upvotes
Toronto
My guess is that price will increase but the increase will be more than offset by the performance increase WRT Ryzen 2000 MSRP.

If rumors are true then I want a 12C/24T @ 5ghz.

I really had my heart set on an APU but those new APUs are zen+ based so that is a no go.

Navi looks like total dog crap though.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
I am thinking the 3600 or 3600x at 8/16 . . .

I wonder if the stock cooler will be improved from the Wraith Spire and what the final clock speeds will be?!

I hope they release a lot of info. and let reviewers get their hands on some review units already . . .if the price/performance is fantastic Intel is going to have to step up big time or cut their prices.

I still want to buy an AMD if they are equivalent in performance and if they are better great. They should be cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
Geez if this is true then I think it is going to be hard to get our hands on a Ryzen 3000 series CPU for a long time . . .they will sell out and stay sold out for a long time!

Basically a fresh leak/rumour indicates that the Ryzen 3000 series looks like it will have absolutely beastly multicore performance and that it might end up being the best gaming CPU with overclocking.

Damn!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7092 posts
1425 upvotes
Toronto
I think Ryzen 3000 will sell like hotcakes. It is the perfect storm, RAM prices are dirt cheap, NVME drives are dirt cheap.

Ryzen 3700 @ ~ $400 CAD
X570 mobo @ ~$175 CAD
32GB of RAM @ ~$180 CAD
Dual 512GB NVME in RAID @ ~$160 CAD
Some badass air cooler @ ~$50 CAD

Just under a grand for a beastly machine to run Virtual machines on. Gonna throw on my GTX 1060 in there and do some gaming too. If it is practical to do then I would also like to run a FreeNAS VM on it too.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1371 posts
1491 upvotes
feminazi wrote: Is AMD going to announce a release date this Sunday at Computex?! If so, when will it be released?
There is literally no chance that AMD won't announce anything in Computex. They announced something everytime in the last two years.
If rumors are true then I want a 12C/24T @ 5ghz.
Maybe 5Ghz at 1 core boost. I really doubt it though. I don't see it going much further than 4.8 personally. We will see.
toalan wrote: Ryzen 3700 @ ~ $400 CAD
This part seems like a bit wishful thinking though. Even a 2700x would be more expensive. You really think AMD will release a vastly superior chip at less price? I don't see it happening. If something hit 12 core at *anywhere* near 5 Ghz, it will be at least $500. Especially since Intel has no answer to that Sku right now. Both in single thread performance and core counts.

a 16/32t CPU will be north of $700+ if there is one. Remember their smallest Threadripper at 12 core is *still* costing around $800.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17858 posts
20010 upvotes
toalan wrote: I think Ryzen 3000 will sell like hotcakes. It is the perfect storm, RAM prices are dirt cheap, NVME drives are dirt cheap.

Ryzen 3700 @ ~ $400 CAD
X570 mobo @ ~$175 CAD
32GB of RAM @ ~$180 CAD
Dual 512GB NVME in RAID @ ~$160 CAD
Some badass air cooler @ ~$50 CAD

Just under a grand for a beastly machine to run Virtual machines on. Gonna throw on my GTX 1060 in there and do some gaming too. If it is practical to do then I would also like to run a FreeNAS VM on it too.
I agree, but why RAID NVMe... and what kind? Seems a little excessive with alternative backup solutions today.

Also, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, the gold standard IMO, is still well above $200.

Otherwise I agree, I'm on the 2600X and think the prospect of a 3700X is delectable, especially in light of Intel's foul ups.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
I was just thinking that I haven't been as eager about a piece of computer hardware since the Sandy Bridge processors! This could turn out to be one of the best CPUs in a very, very long time couldn't it?

I hope AMD puts the smack down on Intel so hard that they will never forget it. I also hope they inhale market share and that they have to put their workers on overtime to keep up with demand! Intel will be forced to step up big time.

I really do think it might be hard to get them if they somehow manage to deliver on the incredible hype that the public and IT media have whipped up . . .AMD hasn't been whipping up the masses themselves too much though, have they?

I wonder if the 3600x will become the new sweet spot for gaming and affordable multicore performance like the 2600x is now? If they deliver on the gaming alone they are going to hit it out of the park with this release. If they are smart and it only makes them hungrier and they can keep the momentum going who knows what will happen going forward?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
I asked red about this but what do you guys think (speculatively of course) about getting a 3600 and a proper cooler vs. a 3600x? Clearly we don't know how the 3000 chips will overclock but I suspect they will overclock just fine given that they are shrinking the die (while boosting the stock clocks though but how aggressively?!).

This TechSpot article says if you are planning on getting an aftermarket cooler and overclocking then the 2600 is the way to go but if not the 3600x is faster and has a good OEM cooler.

"TL;DR
Having extensively tested both R5 2600 models, here's the tale of the tape:

For most people, the Ryzen 5 2600 at $165 is too great to pass up, however...
At stock the 2600X is ~7% faster and you get a better cooler, enough to justify the ~$25 price difference.
If you're on a budget or you plan to overclock and get an aftermarket cooler anyway, the 2600 is your best bet.
The 2600 and 2600X are both unlocked CPUs and can be overclocked on inexpensive B350/B450 motherboards.
If you don't plan to overclock and want an amazing performer out of the box, the 2600X is a great option.
If you need more cores for workstation tasks but are on a tight budget, the Ryzen 7 2700 sacrifices some single thread performance but gets you 16 threads. It's dropped in price from $300 to $220 since launch.
If you can wait ~6 months, Ryzen 3600 will get you at least 15% more performance at the same frequencies. More cores are not a given at this price point, but we're in for a surprise. The vanilla R5 3600 will likely launch at ~$200-230 making today's $165 Ryzen 2600 not a bad deal at all."

https://www.techspot.com/article/1618-r ... x-vs-2600/
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
509 upvotes
An APU with HMB embedded, please. One can dream. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1371 posts
1491 upvotes

Probably our last leak before the reveal
redflagdealsguy wrote: I agree, but why RAID NVMe... and what kind? Seems a little excessive with alternative backup solutions today.
Might as well go for the PCIE4.0 NVMe that will be released over this weekend too.
feminazi wrote: I asked red about this but what do you guys think (speculatively of course) about getting a 3600 and a proper cooler vs. a 3600x? Clearly we don't know how the 3000 chips will overclock but I suspect they will overclock just fine given that they are shrinking the die (while boosting the stock clocks though but how aggressively?!).
You re right, this is entirely dependent on how aggressive AMD push their stock clock. Their Precision Boost often time boost higher than a normal overclock can manage, even still, it is fairly close to stock. You rarely has more than 200 mhz headroom.

Quickman wrote: An APU with HMB embedded, please. One can dream. :)
Sadly it is just not going to happen. HBM cost far too much and APU sku doesn't sell high price enough to justifies the investment. Most people who need the performance would rather just get a GPU.

Intel sorta tried it (with AMD even). The performance wasn't all that high. It had a niche in some ultra portable laptop but it didn't really get wide spread adoption.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
Hey, will the Ryzen 3000 chips be made in Taiwan? If so, they will not have tariffs slapped on them, right? It would be very frustrating to have a fat tariff slapped on the mobo and CPU if was shipped from China . . .I wonder what the impact will be on the these PC components?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
"AMD Zen 2 6 Core CPU Benchmark Leaked, Faster Than Ryzen 7 2700X in Geekbench 4" from WCCFTECH

God if this is true for the 3300 and if it can perform like this in all benchmarks then how will the rest of the lineup perform!?!
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
509 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: Sadly it is just not going to happen. HBM cost far too much and APU sku doesn't sell high price enough to justifies the investment. Most people who need the performance would rather just get a GPU.

Intel sorta tried it (with AMD even). The performance wasn't all that high. It had a niche in some ultra portable laptop but it didn't really get wide spread adoption.
Hades Canyon is way too expensive. What a shame.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7092 posts
1425 upvotes
Toronto
Rumor is that Lisa Su will announce AMD's new slogan; "AMD, future was fusion"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
toalan wrote: Rumor is that Lisa Su will announce AMD's new slogan; "AMD, future was fusion"
That is bit cryptic for me hahaha!!

I will be more than happy with Ryzen 3000 release/shipping dates and a preview of the performance!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
Stream here, starts in less than 1 hour at 10 PM EST. It's not exactly known what they are announcing.

Last edited by zentro on May 26th, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7092 posts
1425 upvotes
Toronto
Back around 2010, many games had the "AMD, future is fusion" displayed when you first start the game. Back then AMD could not compete against intel on the CPU front so they started to bring in their GPU expertise and make APUs. It is ironic that AMD now mostly makes CPUs without iGPUs while Intel mostly makes CPUs with iGPUs.