• Apr 12th, 2018 11:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto

S. Marzano DOP canned tomatoes

When I make my tomato sauces, I usually use the Unico San Marzano "type" whole tomatoes (the "fake" ones grown here) and stock up a few cans when they go $1 or cheaper. I find they make the sauce a bit better than the regular one with lower acidity.

I went to Coppa's and seen a few imported varieties that said "Pomodoro S. Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino" on the label. These authentic ones all go for around $5 a can, I thought about giving it a try but like an RFDer I balked at the price this time.

Anyone have any opinions if these if they are "worth it" or not? Anyone's Nona have opinions on these? Should I try making a sauce with them myself and report back here?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
7 replies
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
494 upvotes
Rockwood
We buy the San Marzano, I think we pay $3.99 for a huge can at Costco. Is it worth it? I don't really know but my nona only used them and as such I do too, I could say I find a difference in the sauces I make but it might just be in my head.

Try it and see if there's a difference for yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
None12 wrote: We buy the San Marzano, I think we pay $3.99 for a huge can at Costco.
I've just read an old thread here on the big Costco cans for that same price. Apparently the Costco ones aren't DOP, perhaps from the same region without licence and the OP (a reputable OP IMO) claimed they match up well to the DOP ones such as Emma.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
494 upvotes
Rockwood
We usually buy the large cans but I know we have purchased authentic or maybe it said certified San Marzano from Costco in the past because I remember the conversation vividly about how we were 'scammed' buying the large cans. If I'm not mistaken it was a package of three cans together but I can't recall the brand.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3674 posts
2027 upvotes
Costco has never had certified DOP San Marzano. They are "La San Marzano" brand. The small cans are the same as the big cans.

None12 wrote: We usually buy the large cans but I know we have purchased authentic or maybe it said certified San Marzano from Costco in the past because I remember the conversation vividly about how we were 'scammed' buying the large cans. If I'm not mistaken it was a package of three cans together but I can't recall the brand.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
494 upvotes
Rockwood
shutterbug wrote: Costco has never had certified DOP San Marzano. They are "La San Marzano" brand. The small cans are the same as the big cans.
I know for sure Costco in the US carries or carried, Cento branded DOP.

I can't remember the brand they sold here but I bought some last summer in the GTA, it might have been certified San Marzano and not DOP so I can't argue that point I no longer have the cans. They were large cans not small.
Last edited by None12 on Apr 12th, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
I like to buy the Unico faux San Marzano tomatoes as well. I never find them for under $1, but they're a good balance for cost/quality between the $0.88 Unico and real San Marzano.

I've bought DOP San Marzano canned tomatoes a few times, you can taste a difference if you're doing a simple marinara. Doesn't seem worth it if you're doing a lasagna or something.

A quick search shows that Walmart has some DOP San Marzano available for $3.27/can. Give them a try and see for yourself.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Strider wrote:
I've bought DOP San Marzano canned tomatoes a few times, you can taste a difference if you're doing a simple marinara. Doesn't seem worth it if you're doing a lasagna or something.

A quick search shows that Walmart has some DOP San Marzano available for $3.27/can. Give them a try and see for yourself.
I think the brand at WalMart is Emma. They are a very nice brand of San Marzano tomatoes.

You are totally right, DOP San Marzano really shines in the simplest recipes. My favourite was an Arrabiata sauce with my very favourite brand of San Marzano tomatoes, and Rustichella d'Abruzzo penne. It was so simple but so good.

The good brands of San Marzano tomatoes, including the San Marzano type tomatoes sold at Costco, have a rich mellowness with low acidity but very concentrated tomato flavour. Once you get used to the lower acidity of the San Marzano (and type) tomatoes, it is hard to go back to Italian plum tomatoes.

Unfortunately, I have discovered an allergy to tomatoes. I should start a thread about the mysteries of food allergies.