• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 12:09 pm
[OP]
Aug 14, 2003
68 posts
5 upvotes
Québec

OnePlus 8 at 848$... What's the catch?

The OnePlus 8 is on sale at 848$ at this site: https://www.s-worldelectronics.ca/produ ... ram-black/.
OnePlus sells the phone at 1099$, so my instincts tells me that there's a catch. But which? I understand that this is an "international version" of the phone... not sure if that's a problem or not.
Does anyone have any experience with "S World Electronics"? They say they offer a 18 months warranty, but is their word worth anything?

Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2014 posts
816 upvotes
Montreal
the catch is, everyone is staying at home, no one is buying phone.
Nov 12, 2012
439 posts
449 upvotes
Mississauga
This store is near my house, they have it for $899 some kind of daily deal. Not sure how their warranty is.
Last year my friend bought 1+ mclaren edition he is happy with it.

https://swiftronics.ca/pages/deals
May 18, 2016
33 posts
4 upvotes
With international one plus models, you'll be getting less bands which may or may not affect you depending on your carrier. Also it comes standard with Hydrogen OS instead of Oxygen. Most sellers flash Oxygen OS onto the phones.
Mar 25, 2011
119 posts
37 upvotes
Kitchener
the catch is that it's an international phone. make sure your carrier supports the bands it operates on. might end up with a phone that gets no / shitty service. and make sure it's unlocked.
Nov 2, 2013
31 posts
13 upvotes
I've had two of their phones and they are great quality, no issues.
Thanked 0 times for 0 posts
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2017
1009 posts
1049 upvotes
the catch is the price tag and i have no income.
Sep 29, 2010
293 posts
352 upvotes
probably no warranty, or some weird out of country warranty that's hard to claim.

That said, I've heard nothing but horror stories on warranties. I don't even bother for most products, it's often cheaper (than shipping), faster, and easier to just fix it yourself, or by bringing it to a shop.
Aug 4, 2014
7 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The catch is manufacturers brainwashed us into thinking a phone for $$850 is a good deal.
Sep 13, 2003
512 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
- no warranty
- missing a band or two which makes it less compatible for Freedom (4g)
- 5g bands are most likely different
- you have to ensure that it is indeed the International Variant
- you need to ensure that it comes with the NA charger
- you need to ensure that it's brand new in box (not flashed from Hydrogen to Oxygen), although some folks familiar with OnePlus thinks this is a non-issue. you CAN get Chinese International Versions from HK, the importer just needs to ask for it instead
Dec 28, 2005
452 posts
61 upvotes
I can't comment on the phone, but I purchased a Canon camera lens from S-World Electronics. My order was "processing" for a week. I contacted them via chat and the lens was shipped out the next day. Received it via Fedex. The lens is brand new although it is a Canon Australia/New Zealand item. It also came with a 36 month S-World warranty certificate. Happy with the purchase.
Images
  • IMG_0001.jpg
  • IMG_0002.jpg
Jan 12, 2016
10 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I also bought a canon lens from them. Shipping takes a while, I think they have specific dates in the month that they send out a bunch of orders. But they do reply fast and the physical store is in Brampton. As mentioned before lens was from Australia but it was brand new and significantly cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure how they source it but hey 🤷🏾‍♂️ Saved about $100
Aug 23, 2005
422 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
You answered your own question. It's a grey market international model, of course it's going to be cheaper than an official version from authorized retail channels.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3722 posts
1742 upvotes
EJF777 wrote: I can't comment on the phone, but I purchased a Canon camera lens from S-World Electronics. My order was "processing" for a week. I contacted them via chat and the lens was shipped out the next day. Received it via Fedex. The lens is brand new although it is a Canon Australia/New Zealand item. It also came with a 36 month S-World warranty certificate. Happy with the purchase.
I've bought a lens directly from Australia, and it makes sense. Our Canadian dollar does well against the Aussie dollar which does make things attractive and shipping was reasonable.

It could be electronics imported from Austrailia, avoiding duties and currency advantage.