[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1074 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto

S10 vs S10e vs P30

Hello all,

Just need some advice. I have the chance to get the S10 or S10e on a Telus EPP. The problem is, I'm torn between the two phones. The S10 being only $50 more than the S10e, we are talking both 128 GB versions.
I work a construction job, so I will be getting an otterbox from day 1. Also I now see that the P30 (non-pro) as an option, which is even cheaper.

S10 - $150
S10e - $100
P30 - $0

I was more leaning towards the S10e since in case I break the screen from my job, it would be cheaper to replace since it is not curved. What do you all think?
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you
13 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14331 posts
4905 upvotes
London
Take the S10e out of consideration

It is too small and is lacking the triple camera of the s10
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4369 posts
2663 upvotes
Gotham
I think the s10e design is better to prevent damage because of the flat screen. A case for the s10e has a raised lip on all four edges of the screen. On the s10 with a curved screen, the left and right edges of cases are lower than the front plane of the surface of the screen. If the phone is dropped on a flat object or surface, less than the height of the phone, it will make contact with the screen. On the s10e, that won't happen because of the raised edges of the case.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1103 posts
293 upvotes
Montréal
The s10 only add a telephoto lens (only good at 2x...any other zoom is digital). Being too small is subjective, flagship phones are becoming ridiculously large.

I would take the p30 out of the equation for now , too much question marks on Huawei in Canada.
Oct 14, 2014
656 posts
661 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Viper98 wrote: Take the S10e out of consideration

If someone really cared about camera performance, they shouldn't get a Samsung in the first place.

The "too small" is subjective, of course.

Written on my Samsung S10e.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14331 posts
4905 upvotes
London
lefroset wrote: If someone really cared about camera performance, they shouldn't get a Samsung in the first place.

Samsung arguably have the best cameras every year

I'd take the s10 over my p30 pro for their main sensors any day.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1570 posts
1261 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Viper98 wrote: Take the S10e out of consideration

Small is subjective, as the only two phones i'm looking at are the s10e and p30
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
lefroset wrote: If someone really cared about camera performance, they shouldn't get a Samsung in the first place.

Yeah, I'm upgrading from an s7 edge and while I love the edged screen, I'm reluctant to end up with a 6" phone. I really want the s10, but I can get a Note9 for cheaper, both with Exynos SoCs but again, these phones are 6"+. Even the 9+ is bigger than the s10... It almost seems like the 10e is my upgrade path.

How are you enjoying the phone?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 14, 2014
656 posts
661 upvotes
Southern Ontario
koffey wrote: Yeah, I'm upgrading from an s7 edge and while I love the edged screen, I'm reluctant to end up with a 6" phone. I really want the s10, but I can get a Note9 for cheaper, both with Exynos SoCs but again, these phones are 6"+. Even the 9+ is bigger than the s10... It almost seems like the 10e is my upgrade path.

How are you enjoying the phone?
Very positive so far. Admittedly though, this is my first serious use of an Android phone since the Moto G 1st gen in 2013. I wanted a higher end Android phone that was not noticeably bigger than my iPhone 8, and the S10e is pretty much in a league of its own in that regard. Despite what some may say, I find its camera quality to be lesser than the iPhone 8. Thankfully I don’t care too much about that.

I’m surprised how rarely I even notice the hole-punch camera. Way less intrusive than the notch on the iPhone XR and XS I toyed with for a while.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1103 posts
293 upvotes
Montréal
I,m surprise about the Iphone 8 having a better camera. The Camera is a must for me so if the camera on the s10e is bad I would have to look somewhere else....
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1319 posts
358 upvotes
Halifax
tostaky wrote: I,m surprise about the Iphone 8 having a better camera. The Camera is a must for me so if the camera on the s10e is bad I would have to look somewhere else....
My wife has the iphone 8, I do not feel it has a better camera. It probably has better video and portrait mode. I've had a note 9 and s10, camera is pretty good. GCAM makes it better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1074 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
Just wanted to let yall know, I got the S10, and I think I should have gotten the S10e.

-S10 too tall
-I don't like the curved edge, harder to type and mistouches all day
-2x camera not that useful for me
-screen resolution isn't a big deal now that i see it
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Exas wrote: Just wanted to let yall know, I got the S10, and I think I should have gotten the S10e.

-S10 too tall
-I don't like the curved edge, harder to type and mistouches all day
-2x camera not that useful for me
-screen resolution isn't a big deal now that i see it
That's good to know. I'm still shopping for a new phone. I have yet to get some actual test time in with either the e or the s10. What do you plan on doing with the S10?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1074 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
Might trade for an S10e, will see