Home & Garden

Is it safe to drill holes in bathroom tiles to mount a shelf?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2021 12:21 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
862 posts
473 upvotes

Is it safe to drill holes in bathroom tiles to mount a shelf?

I have a hammer drill and impact driver set and need to mount some small soap shelves on tiles.
Please suggest me some safe tips or techniques how to properly drill into tiles as I've never done before. Also which type of bit to use
8 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5138 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
nowhere2010 wrote: I have a hammer drill and impact driver set and need to mount some small soap shelves on tiles.
Please suggest me some safe tips or techniques how to properly drill into tiles as I've never done before. Also which type of bit to use
Stay away from hammer drill unless you plan to demolish the whole bathroom Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. Glass drill bit, slow and cool.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1168 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
I try to mount these things in the grout line. You need a diamond bit and a regular hand drill. You can use the hammer drill, but not in hammer mode, just drill mode. I put a little silicone in the hole before anchor and on the back of shelf brackets as well.
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
562 upvotes
Hamilton
don't use a hammer drill. use a glass drill bit. don't go fast. Keep a cup of cold water with you and every now and then dip the bit so it stays cool. if it heats up too much, you'll crack the tile. i put a shower rod up through tile with no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7513 posts
8080 upvotes
Vancouver
I suggest you practice first on a spare tile to make sure you your technique right.
Feb 20, 2019
314 posts
106 upvotes
These days lots of shower shelf’s don’t need drilling. They come with a a 3 M tape and is pretty sturdy. I have mine for more than a year now with no issues. They are easy to mount and looks decent. Try amazon
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4796 posts
4539 upvotes
Toronto
Unnecessary for a small soap shelf. Just use silicone caulking on the mounting plate, and make sure the caulking oozes out of the holes in the mounting plate where you normally would use screws.

Many towel racks, shelves, soap dispensers, etc. now include mounting tape or silicone to mount without drilling. I have a four compartment soap/shampoo dispenser that included silicone caulking to mount, and it's weight is several pounds once all the compartments are filled, and it's been fine.

Even if you do drill, you'll need some caulking anyway to put into the holes to ensure it's water tight if this is going to be inside a shower.