Computers & Electronics

Safest and cheapest Microsoft office - where to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 7:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1432 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto

Safest and cheapest Microsoft office - where to buy?

Looking for MS office - mainly for excel and word, outlook would be nice. For 2 computers, but at least on one for sure.

I've been buying dirt cheap codes from ebay for years - but now am tired of them expiring and MS nagging me for new codes etc.

I do not want to pay monthly fees.

Whats the cheapest method to get MS office? Wait for back to school time? Also, whats the safest way - meaning, I don't want others or an admin or ebay seller to have access to my files etc.

Hope thats not too confusing (miss the days of downloading full version software off torrents or edonkey sites)

TIA!
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2119 posts
255 upvotes
Why paid using older version of ms office?
Like 2007 or 2010 .... rather save up $$ for Costco hotdogs...🤣
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
Would open source be an option?
Libreoffice isn't bad. Looks a little weird, but otherwise is functional.

Standalone versions of office still exist, but they're not cheap.

If you want the high seas version, I personally would recommend KMS because it's unkillable.
My preferred way of "testing" things is a KMS server. Put one up on a RasPi or other small board computer and use it to answer KMS queries.
Bonus points is that you can install something like Pi Hole to keep your network ad free on the network level rather than the browser level.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4921 posts
1953 upvotes
If it's just basic word processing and spreadsheets just use Libreoffice or openoffice, they're free and works. Google Docs/Sheets is also a viable option.

Only time I got a Office key was for printing labels. Libreoffice just couldnt get the template right. Had to get a Office 2010 key just for that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1432 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Would open source be an option?
Libreoffice isn't bad. Looks a little weird, but otherwise is functional.

Standalone versions of office still exist, but they're not cheap.

If you want the high seas version, I personally would recommend KMS because it's unkillable.
My preferred way of "testing" things is a KMS server. Put one up on a RasPi or other small board computer and use it to answer KMS queries.
Bonus points is that you can install something like Pi Hole to keep your network ad free on the network level rather than the browser level.
coilz wrote: If it's just basic word processing and spreadsheets just use Libreoffice or openoffice, they're free and works. Google Docs/Sheets is also a viable option.

Only time I got a Office key was for printing labels. Libreoffice just couldnt get the template right. Had to get a Office 2010 key just for that.
thanks for the suggestions!

Really want to stick with MS office branded software - just to avoid issues when sending files etc.

I see amazon.ca has this for sale: Office 2019 Pro Plus for One Device
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0849Z ... LTJI&psc=1

what are your thoughts on this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1432 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
chinese zzz wrote: Why paid using older version of ms office?
Like 2007 or 2010 .... rather save up $$ for Costco hotdogs...🤣
will an older version still work with windows 10? no issues?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21169 posts
7552 upvotes
Toronto
pererac wrote: will an older version still work with windows 10? no issues?
I still use Office 2007 on Windows 10. The XML format files (like .xlsx and .docx) became the default with Office 2007.

I have had no issues, but that's probably because I haven't used the brand new features that some of the newer versions have, like insertion of YouTube videos. That said, I'm giving a presentation tomorrow over zoom that includes a YouTube video. I'm going to have to switch out of the PowerPoint application to a web browser to play the YouTube video, but no biggie*.

*I'm doing this on a Mac, but Office 2016 for Mac doesn't support embedded YouTube either, so the result is the same as on my Windows machine with Office 2007.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1432 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
fourcylinder wrote: I am using Office 2007 as well. Easier to... "keep it free" compared to newer versions which have a few hoops to jump through and keep triggering my malware scanners.

Even Excel VBA macros seem to work just fine on it. I have used 2010 and 2016 on work computers and don't see any real improvements over 2007. I will admit that I don't work with fancy Powerpoints and so on though - if you need niche newfangled features then you're better off just buying it legit (just write it off as a business expense if applicable).

thank you! will do a search for MS office 2007 - easier to keep free is ideal! I don't want to have to disable malware and virus scanners to hack into it etc.

Just can't wrap my cheap ass around paying for MS office.....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21169 posts
7552 upvotes
Toronto
pererac wrote: thank you! will do a search for MS office 2007 - easier to keep free is ideal! I don't want to have to disable malware and virus scanners to hack into it etc.

Just can't wrap my cheap ass around paying for MS office.....
Hmm... I had thought you were actually looking for a legit copy. Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but that last post seems like it's talking about ways to get pirated software. Neutral Face

BTW, you mention school. Are you affiliated with a university? Cuz if you are, you can often get Office for free or cheap. However, even if you do, it may be a free 365 subscription, which ends when you graduate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1432 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Hmm... I had thought you were actually looking for a legit copy. Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but that last post seems like it's talking about ways to get pirated software. Neutral Face

BTW, you mention school. Are you affiliated with a university? Cuz if you are, you can often get Office for free or cheap. However, even if you do, it may be a free 365 subscription, which ends when you graduate.
No more school affiliated (UW) - need to check if their alumni get access to software. I remember my university login had access to MSNDA or some microsoft portal that allowed us to download all sorts of expensive software for free.

Not looking for a pirated version of Office - but I'm assuming these lower priced versions on amazon and ebay are some sort of pirated version requiring a few hoops to generate a cd key.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1079 upvotes
Saint John
Just look on eBay. I've purchased many working keys there... never had a single issue with them not activating or being deactivated. The vendors appear, sell a bunch of keys, and then usually get taken down by eBay because, well, um, they're npt supposed to be selling these things. The KMS server is a good idea too, but it's more work than paying $4 to get a sketchy eBay code.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
pererac wrote: Really want to stick with MS office branded software - just to avoid issues when sending files etc.
/
Honestly... the open source ones are basically a drop in replacement in terms of file compatibility.
I see amazon.ca has this for sale: Office 2019 Pro Plus for One Device
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0849Z ... LTJI&psc=1

what are your thoughts on this?
Either they're missing a zero (and a couple other numbers) or it's piracy but with more steps.
pererac wrote: will an older version still work with windows 10? no issues?
Sure. I still use 2003. I'm not even sure why because I have a KMS setup so I could use 2019 but I'm used to 2003.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Feb 7, 2018
21 posts
12 upvotes
BC
Docx takes up less drive space than doc and opens faster. Same for xlsx vs xls and pptx vs ppt. That should be reason enough to get 2007!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1912 posts
2151 upvotes
Microsoft has the Home Use Program (HUP) which let's staff of organizations that have signed up purchase some of their platforms for cheap. Office 2016 was like $10 or $15 for a perpetual licence; going by memory but good for at least 2 different machines. Know that the program still exists but not sure if Office is still offered or if they have moved it over to Office 365. Check with your IT department or HR.
Jun 9, 2012
471 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a software out there that activates it for free and renews the license. If you know how to get hardware level windows OS activated for free then you probably know what software I am talking about.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
fourcylinder wrote: Docx takes up less drive space than doc and opens faster. Same for xlsx vs xls and pptx vs ppt. That should be reason enough to get 2007!
Is drive space really a concern nowadays?
You gotta have some frankly ridiculous spreadsheets if file size is going to mean anything.

No argument on speed, but with the sizes of sheets I work with nowadays even that's not a concern.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1912 posts
2151 upvotes
fourcylinder wrote: 365 subscription only now. I miss the old HUP :( I sold all my activations lol.
Wow, good to know. Guess I will be hanging on to my 2016 for a long time then. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)