• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2017 5:09 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2013
23 posts
3 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Safest and most hassle-free way to sell BNIB phone

Hi, looking for advice here. I'll be receiving shortly a BNIB Nexus 5X from Google, as a replacement for the one I bought from them last year which suffered the infamous bootloop death. I would like to explore the option of selling this new one I'm about to receive and putting the funds towards another phone. I am not a fan of selling stuff via Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay, etc. What are some other places/ways to sell a BNIB phone like this, for either cash or store credit, in a safe and hassle-free way? Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
OP you're ruling out most of the best ways of selling BNIB Android phones.

I sell on Kijiji and LetGo. I like LetGo because there's user validation, user ratings, etc. but there are still tire kickers there too.

Kijiji is full of tire kickers, but also happens to be the best shelf-space for your inventory.

Trade-ins won't get you close to the resale value of the phone, but if you really want to trade in a BNIB phone, maybe your best bet is BestBuy for any phone on Robelus.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7901 posts
2161 upvotes
multi city dweller
titaniumtux wrote: OP you're ruling out most of the best ways of selling BNIB Android phones.

I sell on Kijiji and LetGo. I like LetGo because there's user validation, user ratings, etc. but there are still tire kickers there too.

Kijiji is full of tire kickers, but also happens to be the best shelf-space for your inventory.

Trade-ins won't get you close to the resale value of the phone, but if you really want to trade in a BNIB phone, maybe your best bet is BestBuy for any phone on Robelus.
between kijiji and letgo, which 1 do you have better experience?
do they attract different kind of buyers?

is here any cost for listing the phone on their sites?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
ValueHunter999 wrote: between kijiji and letgo, which 1 do you have better experience?
do they attract different kind of buyers?

is here any cost for listing the phone on their sites?
Both offer free and paid listings. I stick to free listings.

Both platforms attract the same type of buyers. Mind you, there's way more of everything on Kijiji (buyers, sellers, scammers, tire kickers, etc.). For every desperate buyer who's ready to pay close to your asking price, there are ten tire kickers who will make ridiculous offers.

I only sold two phones on LetGo since the beginning of the year (versus a dozen on Kijiji in the same timeframe), but it's worth using both to maximize shelf-space.

LetGo will display your location based on GPS at the time of posting your ad, so if you want to post ads for other cities, you can use a location spoofer on your phone. I think LetGo doesn't have a limit of how many ads you post (but they'll automatically sniff duplicates and delete 'em), whereas Kijiji has a maximum of six free ads per category.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
Safest and most hassle free would be to ask family or friends if they may be interested.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
elwebmaster wrote: Safest and most hassle free would be to ask family or friends if they may be interested.
You'd be surprised. Soliciting loved ones is more of a hassle than putting up ads. Besides, how likely is it that your family & friends will buy all your phones from you?
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: You'd be surprised. Soliciting loved ones is more of a hassle than putting up ads. Besides, how likely is it that your family & friends will buy all your phones from you?
With the new carrier ultra-expensive plans, there are many people who want to keep their grandfathered plan but need a new phone. If they are smart and know about blacklisting they won't look on kijiji or craigslist which are full of scammers, especially for a brand new phone, it is a guaranteed scam on these websites. Logically, selling a brand new phone on these websites you either need to be lucky and find a buyer who doesn't know about blacklisting (unlikely these days) or you need to sell at a heavy discount. Depending on the reach of your social network a post on facebook or your company's internal website would result a much more hassle-free transaction.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
elwebmaster wrote: With the new carrier ultra-expensive plans, there are many people who want to keep their grandfathered plan but need a new phone. If they are smart and know about blacklisting they won't look on kijiji or craigslist which are full of scammers, especially for a brand new phone, it is a guaranteed scam on these websites. Logically, selling a brand new phone on these websites you either need to be lucky and find a buyer who doesn't know about blacklisting (unlikely these days) or you need to sell at a heavy discount. Depending on the reach of your social network a post on facebook or your company's internal website would result a much more hassle-free transaction.
Fair, social media and work internal website are not bad places to post.

Wise people don't buy phones on Kijiji, but there are still countless buyers on Kijiji, and some are desperate and will pay your asking price. If you're the seller, you don't have to worry about blacklisting.
No solicitation in sigs
May 5, 2012
358 posts
133 upvotes
CALGARY
I bought my S6 Edge on Kijiji.... and I'm NEVER doing that again. The phone worked fine the first week and then all of a sudden it wouldn't recognize the SIM card. I thought I was smart by asking for original receipt from the seller, but turns out even IF it had just been a few days after it was purchased the store (Telus in my case) couldn't help me out as the phone wasn't sold to me directly. What bothered me was that they wouldn't even bother checking cameras or their system to see who the phone was under. I believe what happened was the seller used a stolen/fake ID to buy a bunch of phones on contract... and then Telus realized and blacklisted it. In retrospect I should have caught on when the receipt showed several phones listed at $0 and the small balance paid in CASH.

I tried to call the guy but of course that didn't work. I did a bit of google magic to find the scammer's other ads and found out he had girlfriend (or ex) who was looking for a place to rent... and I called her but she said that they "weren't on speaking terms and couldn't help" (According to Facebook they happened to be on good terms and even shared a kid together). Then I followed advice found on RFD and contacted some high ranking Telus guy, who after much back and forth whitelisted my phone on the condition that I NEVER buy second hand again...

Though I say I will never do it again... the prices on Kijiji are much more affordable than buying brand new directly from a carrier. Selling is easy unless the buyer had been scammed before...
What I would do differently: Meet at their house, check driver's license and verify address. Take pic of everything (sellers might not like this...) and even them writing out a note saying they are selling the phone and signing it at the end. Check Signature with ID. Have them call their carrier and transfer phone ownership (is that even possible? I just read about it)... I doubt a seller would want to put up with me right about now LOL

I think the blacklisting thing should have a way to ensure that only the owner is able to declare a phone stolen/lost and that ownership can be transferred.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
starbelow wrote: I bought my S6 Edge on Kijiji.... and I'm NEVER doing that again.
Hey, thank you for sharing the story.

Obviously if you see a flagship on Kijiji going for less than half price, it's guaranteed to be blacklisted (unless it has a cracked screen or is very old).

You're insanely lucky that Telus insider agreed to whitelist your phone.

I'm inclined to think that it's mainly flagship phones that get blacklisted after selling on Kijiji. Too little cash to earn on budget phones unless you're doing things legit.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21237 posts
2523 upvotes
Toronto
Easiest and safest way to sell BNIB cellphone? Sell on RFD: BST Cellphones of course..

Sell to an established member....you'll get a fair price (but not max price)....but easiest and safest...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
ji2o0k wrote: Easiest and safest way to sell BNIB cellphone? Sell on RFD: BST Cellphones of course..

Sell to an established member....you'll get a fair price (but not max price)....but easiest and safest...
This works fine for those in the GTA and Vancouver area since most people on RFD's are from those regions. As a distant 3rd, you may find enough RFDers based in MTL.

OP's location indicates "Southern Ontario"...I'm taking that's South-Western Ontario? Either way, not GTA, so unlikely that OP would get any buyer on RFD.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5584 posts
3514 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: Easiest and safest way to sell BNIB cellphone? Sell on RFD: BST Cellphones of course..

That is neither the easiest or the safest way for buying or selling.
It is an easy and safe way to BUY a phone from a person who is trusted.
I would rather sell on Kijiji. It is not my problem that others are selling (to-be-)blacklisted phones.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21237 posts
2523 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote: That is neither the easiest or the safest way for buying or selling.
It is an easy and safe way to BUY a phone from a person who is trusted.
I would rather sell on Kijiji. It is not my problem that others are selling (to-be-)blacklisted phones.
I disagree - I have sold on Kijiji and it is such a hassle. You have fools that try and lowball you after both have agreed on a price or try and short you on cash at the time of. Or play games about buying, flopping and then messaging again...or you agree to location....guy flops and asks you to deliver closer to him. And the no shows....

Perhaps I am fortunate but 95% of my transactions on RFD have been easy and reasonable...I think I had 1 bad trading experience and it was with an experienced member but for the most part, RFD regulars are reasonable and fair. Can't say the same for Kijiji buyers...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11213 upvotes
Leask
ji2o0k wrote: I disagree - I have sold on Kijiji and it is such a hassle. You have fools that try and lowball you after both have agreed on a price or try and short you on cash at the time of. Or play games about buying, flopping and then messaging again...or you agree to location....guy flops and asks you to deliver closer to him. And the no shows....

Perhaps I am fortunate but 95% of my transactions on RFD have been easy and reasonable...I think I had 1 bad trading experience and it was with an experienced member but for the most part, RFD regulars are reasonable and fair. Can't say the same for Kijiji buyers...
I've also had a few no shows, that's why I insist on meeting close by to where I have to be anyway, meaning I don't lose anything if it's a no show. Once one buyer delayed, said he could be there with a bit less cash, then I turned that buyer down after that. Now I will not meet a buyer unless they can communicate via sms.

Consider your markup when you sell on Kijiji. Are you making at least $100 profit on the transaction? If not, don't waste your time. If yes, you can afford the odd no show, and try to meet people close to where you have to be, and don't wait longer than 15 minutes (unless they give you notice that they're running late).

I agree with @hvwozq that Kijiji in the way to go for selling phones. Not our problem that some shady sellers sell phones that will be blacklisted.
No solicitation in sigs

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)