Travel

Safest place to park at Pearson airport?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2018 9:28 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2010
515 posts
103 upvotes

Safest place to park at Pearson airport?

I'm flying out of Pearson for 3 weeks and was booked at the park n'fly self park standard lot. This is my first overseas trip so I'm far from a frequent flyer.
I started researching the lot and after seeing many reports of damaged and stolen vehicles it has me worried. (some reports As recently as August 18)
I have two vehicles, both sporty, recent and somewhat eye catching and I'm not to pleased with the risk at Park N'Fly. They are not high end vehicles but twice I've had problem with theft in the past with a similar car and I would prefer not going through that again.
Contrary to all the other posts about lowest price on RFD, what is the safest lot that is not a valet lot? I'd like to park it myself and keep my keys.
Skypark seems to be preferred on RFD but has just as many bad reviews for damage.
Does anyone have experience with the Value covered parking at Pearson airport? Since this is on airport property are there more camera's and security patrols?

I live 2 hours from the airport, a Shuttle or Limo for 2 is about $500-$600 with tax and tip with a shared ride. I looked for a rental car but there is only one company in town and they have no cars available for a 1 way rental for my trip. I considered a Megabus but the latest bus is before my return flight lands at the airport. I'm pretty much limited to driving there myself. If the covered value lot at the airport is safe, it seems like the best bet at $290 I just can't find any info on it.

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8544 posts
4777 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I've used Skyway Park (NOT to be confused with Skypark). They've recently moved their facilities to just off the 409 so I can't give feedback about here but when they were off of Dixie it was good.

link for Skyway Park

It was a fenced in compound where anyone entering their lot had to stop at the office before proceeding. You can't just drive in. They would follow you in their passenger van until you parked and then load you/luggage before taking you to the terminal. Upon return, you call them, they pick you up at the terminal and again drive you to your car where they help unload you. So there's a lower likelihood of people wondering their lot like Park'n'fly, unless they sneak past the office or hop the barbwire fence. I'm pretty sure it is likely the same setup at their new location.

Your last resort is to park at the airport, but even then there is never a guarantee of no break in. At least it still safer than park'n'fly if you're worried imo.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3801 posts
1175 upvotes
markham
chimaican wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:06 pm
I've used Skyway Park (NOT to be confused with Skypark). They've recently moved their facilities to just off the 409 so I can't give feedback about here but when they were off of Dixie it was good.

link for Skyway Park

It was a fenced in compound where anyone entering their lot had to stop at the office before proceeding. You can't just drive in. They would follow you in their passenger van until you parked and then load you/luggage before taking you to the terminal. Upon return, you call them, they pick you up at the terminal and again drive you to your car where they help unload you. So there's a lower likelihood of people wondering their lot like Park'n'fly, unless they sneak past the office or hop the barbwire fence. I'm pretty sure it is likely the same setup at their new location.

Your last resort is to park at the airport, but even then there is never a guarantee of no break in. At least it still safer than park'n'fly if you're worried imo.
the last few trips I just pay extra and park at the airport itself..cost me about $145 for 2 weeks. very safe, dry, covered, no shuttle BS..not cheap bit very safe and convenient. you have to register on line , you will get a discount coupon when you do...but I love it now ..the extra I pay is well worth it for the convenience.

https://reservations.torontopearson.com ... yPage.aspx
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18622 posts
3251 upvotes
GTA West
cardguy wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 11:55 pm
the last few trips I just pay extra and park at the airport itself..cost me about $145 for 2 weeks. very safe, dry, covered, no shuttle BS..not cheap bit very safe and convenient. you have to register on line , you will get a discount coupon when you do...but I love it now ..the extra I pay is well worth it for the convenience.

https://reservations.torontopearson.com ... yPage.aspx
Just keep one of those battery booster packs and a tire inflator in your car, just in case.
This seems like a good plan IMO because I don't mind paying for convenience.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7350 posts
1671 upvotes
Mississauga
FieroAlex wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 9:54 pm
I'm flying out of Pearson for 3 weeks and was booked at the park n'fly self park standard lot. This is my first overseas trip so I'm far from a frequent flyer.
I started researching the lot and after seeing many reports of damaged and stolen vehicles it has me worried. (some reports As recently as August 18)
I have two vehicles, both sporty, recent and somewhat eye catching and I'm not to pleased with the risk at Park N'Fly. They are not high end vehicles but twice I've had problem with theft in the past with a similar car and I would prefer not going through that again.
Contrary to all the other posts about lowest price on RFD, what is the safest lot that is not a valet lot? I'd like to park it myself and keep my keys.
Skypark seems to be preferred on RFD but has just as many bad reviews for damage.
Does anyone have experience with the Value covered parking at Pearson airport? Since this is on airport property are there more camera's and security patrols?

I live 2 hours from the airport, a Shuttle or Limo for 2 is about $500-$600 with tax and tip with a shared ride. I looked for a rental car but there is only one company in town and they have no cars available for a 1 way rental for my trip. I considered a Megabus but the latest bus is before my return flight lands at the airport. I'm pretty much limited to driving there myself. If the covered value lot at the airport is safe, it seems like the best bet at $290 I just can't find any info on it.

Thanks
If I was you I would I would stay at one of the hotels close to the airport. They have special rates to stay in the hotel and leave your vehicle on there lot while your away. They shuttle you to the airport and pick you up when you come back. Check their pricing.
Mar 28, 2011
627 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
Park at the GTAA garage on Viscount

I always park on lvl 4 for access to the monorail bridge

Sometimes I also park at the GTAA outdoor value lot on Viscount but find a spot that is visible from the monorail or the Alt hotel since there is a lot of foot traffic
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4168 posts
1671 upvotes
Mississauga
Depending on how far away OP lives from YYZ, it may be cheaper to leave the car in the garage at home and take an airport limo.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3183 posts
2339 upvotes
BoredAtWork wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 12:51 am
Park at the GTAA garage on Viscount

I always park on lvl 4 for access to the monorail bridge

Sometimes I also park at the GTAA outdoor value lot on Viscount but find a spot that is visible from the monorail or the Alt hotel since there is a lot of foot traffic
+1 on this (the Value Park garage).

I know you're gone 3 weeks but when you're landing back here exhausted from being in the air 12 hours+ not to mention jetlagged (also grouchy after dealing with long waits for baggage claim and customs/immigration - see other thread!), you won't be in the mood to wait for annoying PNF shuttles (not to mention being dicked around as they make sure you're the LAST pax to get off the bus, just to punish you for paying less). Value Park garage, if you park close to the monorail bridge, gets you into your vehicle a lot faster, without having to load and unload your luggage on shuttles. And if it's raining, even better - you aren't getting wet dealing with luggage (spoken from experience - flew out on a rainy morning, came home on a rainy evening!)

As for security, airports have security cameras EVERYWHERE. Somebody would have to be a total idiot to try to steal a car or break into a car parked in an airport garage, because some combination of camera footage will get their vehicle's make/model/color/plate, probably the perps' faces... and if they go in there wearing ski masks and holding their heads down, somebody watching the cameras will notice these suspicious guys and send security over to investigate.

Using any of the cheaper, off-airport lots, the chances of your car being stolen are low (unless you were crazy enough to park an expensive SUV just asking to be shipped to Russia, or an import sports car just asking to be chopped up...), but given that this is a concern and you've been burned before, paying more to park at the airport gives you some more peace of mind...

Since you're an infrequent traveller, this might be worth the splurge.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7701 posts
719 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
How expensive or rare is this car? Who cares if you’re car gets stolen you have insurance. I’d be more concerned if it gets stolen and found.

How many reports of damaged cars have you read? If you’re driving something expensive you can afford a bit of body work or premium airport parking. Like valet + terminal parking.

Either take the bus or pony up for the viscount lot.

My guess is it’s a Mercedes b class.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2010
515 posts
103 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 7:10 pm
How expensive or rare is this car? Who cares if you’re car gets stolen you have insurance. I’d be more concerned if it gets stolen and found.

How many reports of damaged cars have you read? If you’re driving something expensive you can afford a bit of body work or premium airport parking. Like valet + terminal parking.

No It's a 2 year old Subaru WRX STI. My first WRX was stolen and recovered, fixed by insurance but had multiple problems after getting it back . I had numerous warning lights lit, air bag light etc which the garage refused the fix saying they didn't believe it was caused by the theft and that I had to prove to them it wasn't as such before it was stolen. Needless to say I had no way to prove it so it was never fixed properly by insurance. 2nd time the WRX was stolen it was never recovered. I'm on my 5th Subaru now and splurged a few years ago for the STI model. Usually these cars are stolen for the drive trains which are later resold for a lot of money. They used to be on the Canadian most stolen vehicle list a few years back, I think they are off the top 10 now but it still has me worried. I don't want a 3rd claim and become un-insurable. I have 4 cars on collectors insurance through Hagerty insurance and another 2019 sports car along with my STI under my policy... a rate hike is a big deal for me.

I've decided to pay the big bucks for the airport parking since everyone seems to say it is safer, it will ease my mind during the trip.

Thanks for the help.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3801 posts
1175 upvotes
markham
FieroAlex wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 10:50 am
No It's a 2 year old Subaru WRX STI. My first WRX was stolen and recovered, fixed by insurance but had multiple problems after getting it back . I had numerous warning lights lit, air bag light etc which the garage refused the fix saying they didn't believe it was caused by the theft and that I had to prove to them it wasn't as such before it was stolen. Needless to say I had no way to prove it so it was never fixed properly by insurance. 2nd time the WRX was stolen it was never recovered. I'm on my 5th Subaru now and splurged a few years ago for the STI model. Usually these cars are stolen for the drive trains which are later resold for a lot of money. They used to be on the Canadian most stolen vehicle list a few years back, I think they are off the top 10 now but it still has me worried. I don't want a 3rd claim and become un-insurable. I have 4 cars on collectors insurance through Hagerty insurance and another 2019 sports car along with my STI under my policy... a rate hike is a big deal for me.

I've decided to pay the big bucks for the airport parking since everyone seems to say it is safer, it will ease my mind during the trip.

Thanks for the help.
I haven't been to the Viscount lot in a few years...it used to be employee parking on one side and public on the other..not much security around ..and easy to get in and out without paying. (if you really want to)...the parking right in the Airport (Term 1 or 3) is very secure IMO and the best for your situation.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1916 posts
429 upvotes
Ontario
Your car is safe nowhere. If they really want it they will take it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3409 posts
947 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 7:10 pm

Lol @ who cares if your car gets stolen.