[ON] Safety Certificate for restarting insurance on an older car?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 5:43 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
2194 posts

[ON] Safety Certificate for restarting insurance on an older car?

So I have a summer only vehicle that doesn't have insurance during the winter because the current company doesn't offer Fire & Theft only. So for the past 6 years (with the same broker and insurance company), they have removed it from the policy and then re-added it back in the summer.

I'm trying to do it this year, but now they are asking for an insurance certificate in order to insure the car. The car is a 2003 Mazda, so they are saying it's becase it is older than 15 years old (it's a rule in Ontario). I would've thought that it would only apply if you transfer ownership, but guess not.

They are saying that I will need to get a new safety certificate EVERY YEAR if I want to stop the insurance over the winter and start it again (can't put fire & theft since they don't offer it).

Guess it's time to shop around for a new company. But has anyone encountered something like this?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2556 posts
Barrie, ON
LOL wtf? Time to find a new insurance company.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
Safety certificates are governed by provincial laws, not insurance policies.
User avatar
Aug 18, 2013
312 posts
Next door
19 year old 5-series stored over the winter. I’ve never heard of this policy.

It must be specific to that company. Shop around.
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
Clarington, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Safety certificates are governed by provincial laws, not insurance policies.
As the insurer, they can and will go above provincial laws though. Unfortunate thing is you are left with two choices - follow their direction or find a new insurer.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
9310 posts
never heard of such "rule" however, if the vehicle is over 15 years, the insurance company can ask for a safety certificate and/or photos of all 4 sides of the vehicle prior to adding physical damage onto it. They won't be asking for this every renewal if you leave it on the policy. Best to suspend coverage rather than reduce to "comprehensive" coverage only.. saves the headache when you want to add it back onto the road. Some companies will not offer comp only coverage if its the only vehicle on the policy.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Jul 24, 2018
369 posts
Look for another ins company. I have the same model year, and never heard that.


Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)