Health & Wellness

Safety recall for Philips CPAP Bipap users including Dreamstation 1 (white) and most Remstar

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2021 8:35 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 7, 2001
7650 posts
1650 upvotes
Alberta

Safety recall for Philips CPAP Bipap users including Dreamstation 1 (white) and most Remstar

Safety recall for Philips Respironics Dreamstation 1 (white) and Remstar CPAP and Bipap owners especially if u use ozone cleaners like SoClean due to faulty foam:



Release from health news:

https://www.hmenews.com/article/philips ... fety-issue

Edit: Revised thread title to more accurately reflect the safety recall as requested by a RFD member
Last edited by DavidY on Jul 2nd, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
23 replies
Jr. Member
Aug 5, 2015
150 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got an email today from the place I purchased parts from, basically saying the same note as the recall to stop using it.

Im going to ask and grab a copy of my prescription from last year so I can purchase another device.

What are others doing with the dream station? Continue using it? Waiting for next steps from Philips?
Newbie
Oct 15, 2009
22 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Since 2008 I have been using Respironics brand CPAP machines. I am currently on my 3rd unit which is a Dreamstation 1. I have switched back to my 2nd machine spare unit which is a System One and was able to remove the foam. I am interested in purchasing another brand if I can get for a good price. I am done with Philips. Please keep me posted if you find a good deal.

Here is the video to remove the foam.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 7, 2001
7650 posts
1650 upvotes
Alberta
giagia wrote: Since 2008 I have been using Respironics brand CPAP machines. I am currently on my 3rd unit which is a Dreamstation 1. I have switched back to my 2nd machine spare unit which is a System One and was able to remove the foam. I am interested in purchasing another brand if I can get for a good price. I am done with Philips. Please keep me posted if you find a good deal.

Here is the video to remove the foam.
Resmed and Fisher & Paykel r the other major brands....F&P is not currently OSCAR compatible. Resmed units will be in short supply. Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset is now or will soon be available as a new model. Airsense 10 Autoset is the previous model.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3464 posts
3973 upvotes
GVRD
Government of Canada
Recalls and safety alerts
Posting date: June 23, 2021

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP), and Mechanical Ventilators (2021-06-14)

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 9r-eng.php

Affected Products
REMSTAR AUTO WITH SD CARD, A-FLEX, CANADA
REMSTAR AUTO WITH HUMIDIFIER, WITH SD CARD, A-FLEX, CANADA
RESTAR PLUS WITH SD CARD, C-FLEX, CANADA
RESTAR PLUS WITH HUMIDIFIER, WITH SD CARD, C-FLEX, CANADA
RESTAR PRO WITH SD CARD, C-FLEX +, CANADA
RESTAR PRO WITH HUMIDIFIER, WITH SD CARD, C-FLEX +, CANADA
BIPAP AUTO BI-FLEX, WITH HUMIIFIER, WITH SMARTCARD, CANADA
BIPAP AUTO BI-FLEX, WITH SMARTCARD, CANADA
BIPAP PRO BI-FLEX, WITH HUMIDIFIER, WITH SMARTCARD, CANADA
BIPAP PRO BI-FLEX, WITH SMARTCARD, CANADA
RESTART, WITH HUMIDIFIER, WITH SMARTCARD, CANADA
RESTAR, WITH SMARTCARD, CANADA
BIPAP AVAPS, C SERIES VENTILATORY SUPPORT SYSTEM-DOMESTIC
BIPAP AVAPS, C SERIES VENTILAROTY SUPPORT SYSTEM-CORE PKG, DOMESTIC
BIPAP ST, C SERIES VENTILATORY SUPPORT SYSTEM-CANADA
BIPAP ST, C SERIES VENTILATORY SUPPORT SYSTEM-CORE PKG,DOMESTIC
BIPAP ST, C SERIES VENTILATORY SUPPORT SYSTEM, CORE PKG, CANADA
OMNILAB ADVANCED, DOMESTIC
OMNILAB ADVANCED, DOMESTIC CORE
BIPAP AUTOSV ADVANCED SYSTEM ONE
DREAMSTATION CPAP
DREAMSTATION AUTO BIPAP
DREAMSTATIN BIPAP PRO
DREAMSTATION CPAP PRO
DREAMSTATION AUTO CPAP
DREAMSTATION BIPAP AUTOSV, CA
DREAMSTATION BIPAP AUTOSV, W/HUMIDIFIER, CA
DREAMSTATION BIPAP AUTO SV W/HUMID/HEATED TUBE, CA
BIPAP AVAPS VENTILATORY SUPPORT SYSTEM-CANADA
BIPAP AVAPS VENTILATORY SUPPORT SYSTEM-CORE PKG, CANADA
DREAMSTATION GO CPAP
DREAMSTATION GO AUTO CPAP
DREAMSTATION EXPERT
DREAMSTATION GO CPAP WITH HUMIDIFIER, CANADA
DREAMSTATION GO AUTO CPAP WITH HUMIDIFIER, CANADA
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3464 posts
3973 upvotes
GVRD
Seems to be a Canadian Class Action Lawsuit developing:

https://www.thomsonrogers.com/philips-c ... ss-action/

Philips CPAP And Respiratory Device Class Action

Thomson Rogers and Rice Harbut Elliott LLP have jointly issued a national class action on behalf of all persons in Canada who used a Philips CPAP machine, BIPAP machine or mechanical ventilator which are currently subject to a recall by the company (please see below for complete list of the affected devices).

On June 14, 2021, Philips Respironics issued a recall notice in the US for approximately 35 models of its Respiratory Devices that were manufactured with a Polyester-Based Polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam. Exposure to the PE-PUR foam can have adverse health effects including, but not limited to, increased cancer risk, respiratory damage, asthma, nausea, vomiting, and headache.

As of June 23, 2021, Health Canada recalled all of the subject Respiratory Devices.

It is alleged that Philips Respironics negligently designed and manufactured the Respiratory Devices and failed to warn users of the health risks associated with use of the Respiratory Devices, while assuring users of the safety of its products.

The Representative Plaintiff, John Morel, was diagnosed with sleep apnea and purchased a Philips Dreamstation CPAP machine in 2019. Commenting on learning about the health risks associated with the machine, he states:

“I was horrified to learn that my CPAP machine, which blows air into my lungs, could contain toxic particles. I relied on this device to treat my sleep apnea and I am concerned for my health. I have questions about when Philips became aware of the issue and if this could have been disclosed earlier.”

If you believe you use(d) one of the recalled devices, please complete the Consultation Form below.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3464 posts
3973 upvotes
GVRD
DavidY wrote: Safety concern for Philips Respironics Dreamstation owners especially if u use ozone cleaners like SoClean:
OP: Could you please consider re-naming the thread, as it affects nearly all Philips CPAP/BiPAP systems except the newest DreamStation 2. Also, the recall is for everyone, regardless of whether they use an ozone cleaning system such as SoClean.

Perhaps it could be something like: Safety Recall of Philips Respironics CPAP/BiPAP Machines

Otherwise, it may be overlooked by all the Philips CPAP users who don't happened to have a newer DreamStation.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
Lovely, I only found out about this is because I signed up for Canadian Class Action lawsuits. Not a word from Philips

Been on one Since Oct 2014s. Have I noticed any symptoms these years, no. But cancer is like that, nothing nothing nothing then suddenly, stage 4

Doctor recommended a Chest xray for a baseline just to see. I know my lung capactiy isnt what it used to be, but Im getting older and dont jog anymore.

Like many, just stop using a CPAP machine isnt as simple as that, because we go back to then the issues we had before the use of it.

Contacted my health coverage to see if I am allowed another coverage after 4.5 years
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
giagia wrote: Since 2008 I have been using Respironics brand CPAP machines. I am currently on my 3rd unit which is a Dreamstation 1. I have switched back to my 2nd machine spare unit which is a System One and was able to remove the foam. I am interested in purchasing another brand if I can get for a good price. I am done with Philips. Please keep me posted if you find a good deal.

Here is the video to remove the foam.
So I wanted to remove the foam, since this is the model I have. But I am getting a replacement machine Friday since Ive had mine since Oct 2014. I never realzized these needed replacing since it still worked.

But watching the video, when he takes the motor and casing out for the foma removal, that motor seems to be completely sealed inside the white plastic shroujd. How can the foam even enter the motor area to be blown around?
Member
Jun 20, 2010
370 posts
183 upvotes
sorry for asking a noob question, what are people who have one of the impacted CPAP machine supposed to do(besides stopping to use device and look for alternates)? reach out Philips canada or ?
( a colleague/friend i know uses this, so doing my side of research before i tell him what to do )


edit : found a link https://www.philips.ca/healthcare/e/sle ... src-update where registration can be done
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
I got my new Resmed this morning. Since I havent gotten a new one in 6 years, I had full coverage. Im keeping my Philips as a travel/spare. Not going to try and MacGyver the foam out until Philips comes along and does whatever fix they want to do
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 7, 2001
7650 posts
1650 upvotes
Alberta
WikkiWikki wrote: So I wanted to remove the foam, since this is the model I have. But I am getting a replacement machine Friday since Ive had mine since Oct 2014. I never realzized these needed replacing since it still worked.

But watching the video, when he takes the motor and casing out for the foma removal, that motor seems to be completely sealed inside the white plastic shroujd. How can the foam even enter the motor area to be blown around?
Historically, insurers replaced it every 5 years. Ymmv. Heard rumours that this may change to when it dies.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
DavidY wrote: Historically, insurers replaced it every 5 years. Ymmv. Heard rumours that this may change to when it dies.
I never looked at replacing because it still worked. I'm still on the original everything because I cleaned it regularly
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 7, 2001
7650 posts
1650 upvotes
Alberta
anti_maniac wrote: sorry for asking a noob question, what are people who have one of the impacted CPAP machine supposed to do(besides stopping to use device and look for alternates)? reach out Philips canada or ?
( a colleague/friend i know uses this, so doing my side of research before i tell him what to do )


edit : found a link https://www.philips.ca/healthcare/e/sle ... src-update where registration can be done
There r vids on YT on how to remove the foam yourself. U need to be handy however. In particular, I like the video about using a wire hanger to pull out the foam pieces thru existing openings. Need a ton of patience. Hope the foam on my Resmed is not carcinogenic....Resmed have said that it is safe.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
DavidY wrote: There r vids on YT on how to remove the foam yourself. U need to be handy however. In particular, I like the video about using a wire hanger to pull out the foam pieces thru existing openings. Need a ton of patience. Hope the foam on my Resmed is not carcinogenic....Resmed have said that it is safe.
Got my Resmed 10 on Friday. Im keeping the Phillips as a backup, and just leaving as is until Philips does their fix.

Is the foam better in it then the Phillips, dont know. But worrying constantly about this stuff as well will kill you by stress

My wife said she notices that it is a lot quieter. The app access is nice as well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 7, 2001
7650 posts
1650 upvotes
Alberta
WikkiWikki wrote: Got my Resmed 10 on Friday. Im keeping the Phillips as a backup, and just leaving as is until Philips does their fix.

Is the foam better in it then the Phillips, dont know. But worrying constantly about this stuff as well will kill you by stress

My wife said she notices that it is a lot quieter. The app access is nice as well.
Resmed has reported that their foam is safe...differenf from Philips. Use OSCAR to optimize your treatment with or without your health care provider. Not every1 is willing to self titrate. Check out YT for Cpap Reviews and/or TheLankyLefty27 for more help.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
DavidY wrote: Resmed has reported that their foam is safe...differenf from Philips. Use OSCAR to optimize your treatment with or without your health care provider. Not every1 is willing to self titrate. Check out YT for Cpap Reviews and/or TheLankyLefty27 for more help.
Whats OSCAR?

Whats titrate?

Why would I need to do a CPAP review when I already own it?

Top