• Aug 26th, 2020 6:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2004
1118 posts
1188 upvotes
Vancouver

[Safeway] Buy Safeway $150 GC, get 100 AM

Admin: if repost, please merge. I did a search but did not find other posts.

Aug 20 to 26, buy $150 gift cards (Sobey, Safeway, FreshCo, IGA, etc.) and get 100 bonus Airmiles. Limit of 5 offers per collector.

26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3724 posts
2125 upvotes
Can you use the gift cards to buy lottery tickets at Sobeys?
May 2, 2017
913 posts
1772 upvotes
shopperisbest wrote: nationalwide?
Typically nationwide but BAM varies. OP should also add the 50 BAM on 50$ happy active GCs. Last page.
May 2, 2017
913 posts
1772 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Can you use the gift cards to buy lottery tickets at Sobeys?
I would assume so. No restrictions stated other than liquor and gas on western provinces. Also used shell GCs for lottery so these should also.
Oct 24, 2009
833 posts
1173 upvotes
Vancouver
Good timing to use BMO AM card for MEGA miles event. I can't see the fine print. Is it 1 limit per txn?
For those wondering if you can buy other GC with this, answer is no with the trained cashier. However, there were some ppl who were able to get other GC at the self checkout last time this promo was around.
May 2, 2017
913 posts
1772 upvotes
taya1214 wrote: Good timing to use BMO AM card for MEGA miles event. I can't see the fine print. Is it 1 limit per txn?
For those wondering if you can buy other GC with this, answer is no with the trained cashier. However, there were some ppl who were able to get other GC at the self checkout last time this promo was around.
Limit 4 very fine print per collector. Yup should pay some groceries and slide in some other GCs at a male teenage cashier, never fails.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1425 posts
1283 upvotes
It's very YMMV. I believe their system allows this but most staffs or managers wouldn't let you do this.
taya1214 wrote: Good timing to use BMO AM card for MEGA miles event. I can't see the fine print. Is it 1 limit per txn?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1677 posts
908 upvotes
This is very hot because the gift cards can buy other gift cards. If you value an Air Mile at 10.5 cents, this is like 7% off other gift cards in addition to cashback if you have a cashback credit card

My Amex Reserve Air Miles credit card though will give me a valuation at 770 Dream Miles per $100 on flights so that's a valuation of 8.9%
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3677 posts
9430 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Seanne wrote: Limit 4 very fine print per collector. Yup should pay some groceries and slide in some other GCs at a male teenage cashier, never fails.
Digital flyers are out, it's actually limit 5 per collector number. :)
Apr 19, 2003
28 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Diafel wrote: This is very hot because the gift cards can buy other gift cards. If you value an Air Mile at 10.5 cents, this is like 7% off other gift cards in addition to cashback if you have a cashback credit card

My Amex Reserve Air Miles credit card though will give me a valuation at 770 Dream Miles per $100 on flights so that's a valuation of 8.9%

Safeway policy does not allow a gift card to be used to purchase another gift card.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1677 posts
908 upvotes
I have redeemed Safeway gift cards for other gift cards, recently too. I think the policy doesn't let you buy Safeway alcohol or gas gift cards.

Also, it looks like you can do the same offer at IGA!
May 2, 2017
913 posts
1772 upvotes
Diafel wrote: I have redeemed Safeway gift cards for other gift cards, recently too. I think the policy doesn't let you buy Safeway alcohol or gas gift cards.
jandaman wrote: Safeway policy does not allow a gift card to be used to purchase another gift card.
yea what DIafel said.
the ToC states in a bracket, "(grocery, fuel or liquor)" so one can only assume that NOT ALL corporate gift cards are exempted.
an experienced cashier would know this, so should the manager, and a typical male teenager wouldnt GAF.
the senior cashiers in my sobeys even informed me that "fuel gift cards are a no-go", but other are okay.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5330 posts
3924 upvotes
Vancouver
jandaman wrote: Safeway policy does not allow a gift card to be used to purchase another gift card.
Wrong. Safeway policy does not allow a corporate (Safeway) gift card to purchase another corporate (Safeway Grocery, Liquor, Fuel) gift card.

Corporate Gift Cards (“Cards”) have no value until activated. Cards are valid at participating stores in Canada. Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law. Cards have no expiry and no fees will apply. Check your Card balance in store, or by calling 1-800- 832-0717. Reload at participating stores. Protect your Card like cash. The value remaining on the Card cannot be replaced if the Card is lost, stolen, damaged or used without your consent. Card is not redeemable for cash except where required by law.

https://www.safeway.ca/gift-cards/

Ron.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44745 posts
5332 upvotes
Richmond Hill
newfbc wrote: Wrong. Safeway policy does not allow a corporate (Safeway) gift card to purchase another corporate (Safeway Grocery, Liquor, Fuel) gift card.

Corporate Gift Cards (“Cards”) have no value until activated. Cards are valid at participating stores in Canada. Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law. Cards have no expiry and no fees will apply. Check your Card balance in store, or by calling 1-800- 832-0717. Reload at participating stores. Protect your Card like cash. The value remaining on the Card cannot be replaced if the Card is lost, stolen, damaged or used without your consent. Card is not redeemable for cash except where required by law.

https://www.safeway.ca/gift-cards/

Ron.
Interesting, so anything other than those 3 categories are fine? This is definitely different than most other retailers, which says no to all other GCs.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5330 posts
3924 upvotes
Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote: Interesting, so anything other than those 3 categories are fine? This is definitely different than most other retailers, which says no to all other GCs.
Yes.. that's correct... you cannot buy one of their own gift cards with their own gift card. I think this is mostly to prevent abuse of promotions - you could buy a $150 gift card to get 100 Air Miles, then use it to buy another $150 gift card for more miles, and so on... Some cashiers/managers may try to make up their own rules.. in that case, show them the 'official terms' at the site listed.

Ron.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2004
1118 posts
1188 upvotes
Vancouver
Few months ago, there was another gift card bonus AM promotion. So I used the Safeway gift card to buy the Boston Pizza(and among other restaurants) gift card to earn bonus AM. No problem at all. I made 2 separate transactions for 2 Boston Pizza gift cards just in case.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3724 posts
2125 upvotes
newfbc wrote: Yes.. that's correct... you cannot buy one of their own gift cards with their own gift card. I think this is mostly to prevent abuse of promotions - you could buy a $150 gift card to get 100 Air Miles, then use it to buy another $150 gift card for more miles, and so on... Some cashiers/managers may try to make up their own rules.. in that case, show them the 'official terms' at the site listed.

Ron.
Some cashiers/managers may try to make up their own rules. Some don't even allow you to buy gift cards using a credit cards.