• Apr 22nd, 2017 1:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4949 posts
4861 upvotes
Vancouver

Sale price higher at Loblaws

We've all seen this type of sale: Buy 2 items for $9.00, or 1 for $4.99. In this case it was for Lavazza ground coffee.

But when I lifted the sale tag to look at the regular price, it was LOWER ($4.79) than the sale price for one item.

I understand giving a discount when you buy two or more, and no discount when you buy one. But a surcharge for buying just one? I've just started shopping at Loblaw's so maybe this isn't all that unusual? If this is normal than I'll be sure to check the regular price of everything that's advertised as being on sale.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8774 posts
2169 upvotes
London
The real question here is why you didn't take a picture of this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4949 posts
4861 upvotes
Vancouver
You don't believe me? Loblaw's City Market, 3185 Arbutus St, Vancouver. You can check it yourself if you so desire.
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21682 posts
7573 upvotes
This is what I normally see in Loblaws based stores.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8270 posts
3990 upvotes
I've seen this many times at Loblaws before. I've even posted a picture of it a while back in one of the threads. I'll see if I can find it on my phone.
Sep 26, 2011
103 posts
55 upvotes
I see that scam all the time. Even worse, I've started to notice select Zehrs stores have been putting items on the clearance rack, leaving them for about a week, then putting them back on the regular aisle shelf at the original price -- in other words, it's not a clearance sale. More and more items are being labelled with the yellow "Final" tags when, in fact, there's no plan to stop stocking the item. All they do is wait an arbitrary amount of time, yank the "Final" tags, and voila -- back to the "regular" price that's usually higher than it ever was before. Yeah, thanks Galen. :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21682 posts
7573 upvotes
That's worse than a store about to go out of business but magically saved from demise by a mysterious force after having a blowout sale?
Sep 26, 2011
103 posts
55 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 4:16 pm
That's worse than a store about to go out of business but magically saved from demise by a mysterious force after having a blowout sale?
Don't get me started on that! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
There's a certain jewelry store in a certain mall in my extended neighbourhood that had big signs propped up against their corner unit, implying that for over a year straight they were "going out for business" (worded just like that, either broken English or an intentional mistake to avoid being accused of deceptive practices) and then finally after barely clearing out any of their inventory, all they did was briefly close, then slightly change their name, keeping 95% the same store layout and staff. I don't like knocking 'em since they're a small independent, but c'mon -- be honest and actually go out of business, or find a more appropriate way to advertise. Mind you, they'd probably just join other retailers and have never-ending "employee discount" sales. :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5497 posts
687 upvotes
Scarborough
find the same items cheaper at other stores, why go to loblaws?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4949 posts
4861 upvotes
Vancouver
apnayloags wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 8:00 pm
find the same items cheaper at other stores, why go to loblaws?
To buy PC gift cards with my 4%-cashback-earning Visa, that I later spend at No Frills (they don't take Visa).

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21682 posts
7573 upvotes
canaduh wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 7:28 pm
all they did was briefly close,
Hold up.
I'm getting you started.
They actually closed? WTF? I've never seen that before, even with a name change.
Most times they just make you think they're going out of business but never actually close up shop.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1680 posts
679 upvotes
Ontario
I stopped any serious shopping at Loblaws because of price tag shenanigans about 5 years ago. Complained to the company, never heard back. Screw them.