Shopping Discussion

Sale price higher at Loblaws

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 1:40 pm
Nov 26, 2015
389 posts
207 upvotes
Same in Walmart. The Nutrilait 1L chocolate milk was regular at $0.99 in Walmart Décarie (Montreal), and the next day on Thursday (new flyer day), the flyer says $1.29 "on sale".
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6150 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: The examples given above are marketing techniques to bring the items to your attention or get you to load up. Store marketers are not stupid. We here tend to focus on price per unit.
that is what I am trying to say. If a person can figure out what the price per unit, then we know that we are paying the same unit price no matter we buy 1 or 2 units.
Nov 18, 2013
307 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: To buy PC gift cards with my 4%-cashback-earning Visa, that I later spend at No Frills (they don't take Visa).
Love it! I used to do the EXACT same thing. Plus I'd buy my work group lotto there for 600 bucks at 4% cb.
Jan 30, 2013
334 posts
195 upvotes
ryan10075 wrote: Same in Walmart. The Nutrilait 1L chocolate milk was regular at $0.99 in Walmart Décarie (Montreal), and the next day on Thursday (new flyer day), the flyer says $1.29 "on sale".
They will sell way more because it's advertised lots of people are convinced they will be saving money.
Sep 26, 2011
450 posts
603 upvotes
Today I spotted some of those misleading yellow "FINAL" signs on a huge display of lemons in the produce aisle. Yeah, 'cause y'know, I'm sure they're clearing them out, never to be sold again. :rolleyes:

Shoppers also gotta watch what happens when the Scanner Price Accuracy Code is invoked. On a recent trip to "Bloblaws", I had three of a particular item that upon checkout didn't scan at the correct sale price, so a supervisor came to the till and authorized a price adjustment by entering her magic password. Afterwards, I noticed that on my receipt, one of the three items had a separate line item rang in as "scan code free" that effectively made it $0, as was supposed to happen. But they still charged tax on the full price of the free item, treating the scanning code of practice as more like a coupon. Upon reading the actual code, it surprisingly doesn't say what happens with sales tax. I'm suspicious of Galen's empire because once, when I pointed out a similar shelf price discrepancy in Walmart, they just didn't bother scanning the free item at all.