Sales Rep Broke Patio Doors

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 11:26 am
[OP]
Aug 15, 2021
3 posts
3 upvotes

Sales Rep Broke Patio Doors

Issue is fixed. Thanks to all for their feedback.

Hoping someone has some advice on how we should proceed with this. We have some patio doors that use an unusual closing mechanism. There are some issues with the doors, unrelated to the mechanism, that we were looking to get new patio doors installed. We had a sales Rep from a window company come over and while there the Rep broke the mechanism on the door while roughly messing around with it. We've had these doors for a decade and never had problems with it and this guy is there for 20 minutes and breaks them.

We have contact the company and to their credit they at least were concerned with what happened and have reached out to their network to see if anyone has familiarity with this door to come take a look. They've found no one because these are unusual doors. So now we're at an impasse where we just want our door fixed and the company is essentially giving us the run around and has stipulated for one of their people to even come look at it they want a waiver.

This is totally unacceptable to me since they've already broken the door to the point where it no longer can open. Their people are not familiar with these doors so I don't have much hope in them being able to fix the mechanism nor not causing more damaged.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We just want to be made whole and have our door fixed so we can use it again.
Last edited by Brokendoors on Aug 18th, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
How did he break them exactly?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2228 upvotes
0 downvotes
since your going to replace the doors, ask the company of that sales rep to give you a quote, and ask for a $20 or $30 dollar discount on the quite due to the negligence of the sales rep and if they don't comply, you will complain to the better business bureau
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Brokendoors wrote: Hoping someone has some advice on how we should proceed with this. We have some patio doors that use an unusual closing mechanism. There are some issues with the doors, unrelated to the mechanism, that we were looking to get new patio doors installed. We had a sales Rep from a window company come over and while there the Rep broke the mechanism on the door while roughly messing around with it. We've had these doors for a decade and never had problems with it and this guy is there for 20 minutes and breaks them.

We have contact the company and to their credit they at least were concerned with what happened and have reached out to their network to see if anyone has familiarity with this door to come take a look. They've found no one because these are unusual doors. So now we're at an impasse where we just want our door fixed and the company is essentially giving us the run around and has stipulated for one of their people to even come look at it they want a waiver.

This is totally unacceptable to me since they've already broken the door to the point where it no longer can open. Their people are not familiar with these doors so I don't have much hope in them being able to fix the mechanism nor not causing more damaged.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We just want to be made whole and have our door fixed so we can use it again.
It doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them a chance to rectify the situation before coughing up money to fix it. Your other option might be to fix it yourself and then send them a bill. If/when they fail to pay it, you would have to take them to small claims court. Up to you whether it's worth the hassles. You SHOULD get your money in the end, and it will likely cost them more if they go that route, but it's your time too.

C
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1516 posts
1041 upvotes
Longueuil
I know that looking to replace a door and getting quotes is different than taking the final decision to replace the door but based on your choice, you have 2 basic options:
1. You chose to replace the door: ask them to give you a credit on the new door since until the work is done, you cannot use it at all (in the Summer it can be a major inconvenience based on the delay before the work is actually done).
2. You chose to keep the door: allow them to try to fix it and if they can't I would simply have it repaired by another company and send them the bill. If they don't want to pay, go to small claims.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: How did he break them exactly?
+1

OP says locking mechanism is "unusual"... OP has other problems with the doors not related to the mechanism. But then OP says "We've had these doors for a decade and never had problems with it".

Conflicting statements IMO.

Conveniently a rep comes in and tries to help and all of a sudden you're blaming him/then for breaking the door and you want them to fix it (not replace it?).

Are you still getting quotes? Are you still looking for new doors? It almost sounds like you don't want new doors now.

Maybe take some pics of said locking mechanism...because we got alot of smart ppl here. Maybe we can help.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 14, 2009
417 posts
462 upvotes
Vaughan
Honestly, you are replacing the door anyways, file this under the SHI* happens file and move on. They can't be forced to do anything, especially since it was a simple accident on a weird mechanism to begin with. Replace the door, move on.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28409 posts
8845 upvotes
Hamilton
Sue for billions!
hated on but respected.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
I have been lucky that no one has ever accused me of this, but I am super handy and can generally see what’s wrong. This all seems convenient for OP, combined with first post and no other communication…
[OP]
Aug 15, 2021
3 posts
3 upvotes
Sorry for delay in followup. The company finally sent one of their technicians over after quite a bit of bugging them and the tech was able to fix the door. So great news. Thanks for the various feedback.

The windows are turn and tilt and the mechanism is very finicky. The Rep was roughly turning the handle and the door sticks a little bit so it wasn't fully in the frame when he turned from tilt to turn. It messed up the locking mechanism at the top. The mishandling device on the door could not fix it for whatever reason. But the tech was able to so that was a huge relief.

The handle mechanism had never given us issues because we're not rough on it. The issue with the door that we're wanting them replaced is the weather stripping in the top between the panes has sagged down (builder quality patio doors unfortunately). The door was still fully functional but it's a combination of knowing the seal could go at any time and cosmetic appearance of the falling stripping between the panes that we were wanting to get ideas quotes for what to do next. We weren't planning to immediately get new doors (and were clear with companies about that) and will have to save up money to afford new ones. Hence my desire for a repair over a new door. Regardless, situation is resolved. Thanks to those that gave feedback.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2021
3 posts
3 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: +1

OP says locking mechanism is "unusual"... OP has other problems with the doors not related to the mechanism. But then OP says "We've had these doors for a decade and never had problems with it".

Conflicting statements IMO.

Conveniently a rep comes in and tries to help and all of a sudden you're blaming him/then for breaking the door and you want them to fix it (not replace it?).

Are you still getting quotes? Are you still looking for new doors? It almost sounds like you don't want new doors now.

Maybe take some pics of said locking mechanism...because we got alot of smart ppl here. Maybe we can help.
I replied in a followup post but will also clarify since maybe I did a poor job before. The weather stripping between the panes is sagging badly now so we know the seal will go soon. This has been an issue for a few years (has slowly gotten worse). However, our issue with the Rep was that he caused an issue with the handle that prevent the turn and tilt door from going into the locking position. It is completely unrelated to the weather stripping. Hence our desire that they fix what was broke. Before the doors still worked perfectly fine minus the weather stripping problem. Our experience has been the turn and tilt windows are not common and most repair people aren't too familiar with them in Ontario.

We still want new doors. However knowing how expensive they are we were first wanting to know what our options are because we can't immediately afford new doors and will need to save up first. We were clear about this with the companies that gave us quotes.

Thank you for your feedback and offer to help!! Fortunately the company sent over a tech who fixed it so a good end.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
Brokendoors wrote: I replied in a followup post but will also clarify since maybe I did a poor job before. The weather stripping between the panes is sagging badly now so we know the seal will go soon. This has been an issue for a few years (has slowly gotten worse). However, our issue with the Rep was that he caused an issue with the handle that prevent the turn and tilt door from going into the locking position. It is completely unrelated to the weather stripping. Hence our desire that they fix what was broke. Before the doors still worked perfectly fine minus the weather stripping problem. Our experience has been the turn and tilt windows are not common and most repair people aren't too familiar with them in Ontario.

We still want new doors. However knowing how expensive they are we were first wanting to know what our options are because we can't immediately afford new doors and will need to save up first. We were clear about this with the companies that gave us quotes.

Thank you for your feedback and offer to help!! Fortunately the company sent over a tech who fixed it so a good end.
Glad it got resolved.

Posting pictures is highly recommended. We have a very smart and diverse group of ppl. We help as much as we can. Post pics of said weather stripping... Most things can be fixed.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Brokendoors wrote: The weather stripping between the panes is sagging badly now so we know the seal will go soon.
If the spacer in the sealed unit is sagging, the seal is already gone.