Salmon price increasing?

The Great Leap Forward or Reset
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28532 posts
13886 upvotes
Toronto
Farmed salmon which is widely sold at Asian supermarkets range from $4.99 - $6.99 per lb consistently in the last few years. Every week's pricing tend to be slightly different but still within the said range.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16500 posts
3727 upvotes
Toronto
Well, once this pandemic clears up (in Ontario), as long as the price of AYCE Japanese sushi stays reasonable, I'm happy. I hope it doesn't mean more rice, less salmon though...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9963 posts
1967 upvotes
Victoria
mavvy911 wrote: Wild Salmon stocks have been decreasing constantly on the BC coast: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/dee ... -1.5828721

I don't know why someone thought it was a good idea to farm Atlantic Salmon on the west coast to start with. Most farmed fish is super bland or poor tasting anyway.
I don't get that either. We've had a few instances where a bunch of Atlantic fish have escaped (mostly from fish farms just on the US side of the border). I've ever been sure why they don't have farm pacific salmon on this side of the country.

It does seem mixing the species isn't great, and if disease occurs it can spread outside the farm. On the flip side there's not near enough regular Fish to the feed the population anymore. Without fish farms, what little remaining wild fish there is will probably skyrocket in price.

When I was reading these articles it sounded like the government wanted to move Fish Farms to being on lane (giant pools)? so they can't mess with the local species?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7164 posts
4351 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Farmed salmon is disgusting anyways. Glad to see this horrible industry being shut down here in BC.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5658 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Lots of influence and certain politicians are in their pockets. The ex-spouse of a former premier for one.

There are a very small number of farms culturing native salmon in land-based closed containment pens.

This outfit for one:
https://www.westcreekbc.ca/
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.