• May 19th, 2021 2:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
214 posts
148 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

Salvaging latex backed rugs, possible?

So I've previously thrown out rugs that looked and worked fine but the latex backing compeltely deteriorated into what looks like fine sand.

I'm not being cheap, but it seems wasteful throwing these out.

Is there someway I can salvage these rugs ?
Images
  • 20210507_130017.jpeg
  • 20210507_130033.jpeg
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17793 posts
15246 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Becks wrote: Good question. I would remove as much of the crap from the rug, and then buy an anti-slip underlay to put underneath (eg. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/stopp-anti ... gLGc_D_BwE )
This

Although you probably aren’t gonna have much luck getting the backing off
(How ironic ... hard to remove ... but deteriorates on its own )

Placing the rug on top of a cut to fit anti slip mat, will at least protect your floors from the worst of the “latex sand”
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
214 posts
148 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Becks wrote: Good question. I would remove as much of the crap from the rug, and then buy an anti-slip underlay to put underneath (eg. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/stopp-anti ... gLGc_D_BwE )
I've previously tried getting rid of the crap but whatever latex is left on the rug will keep deteriorating. I like the idea of placing another mat under it, but the Ikea's mat is porous and will let the "sand" through.
PointsHubby wrote:
(How ironic ... hard to remove ... but deteriorates on its own)
Exactly!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13678 posts
2426 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Have u tried using a wire brush?
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
214 posts
148 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I bought a can of LeakSeal from HomeDepot. Cleaned the smaller rug's backing to the maximum extent possible and sprayed the rubber sealant on it. 2 coat, finishing more than half of the can, and 20 hours later I can confirm that this was a total waste of money and time.

Wherever the LeakSeal hasn't created a thick enough layer to block off the crumbling latex layer, there is still disintegration falling through the gaps and onto the floor.

Maybe if I completely stripped the latex backing off I wouldn't have any issues, but it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get it off and I'd rather spend that time on something else.

Hopefully this 15$ lesson helps others searching for a solution to the mess.

I'm gonna switch to fabric rugs and mats. No latex sand and also easy to wash.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3092 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
A few years ago, my wife was looking to buy a used rug (since it was at a sharp discount to new) on some local used website. Got sold before we got to it, but it was back on the market the next day so she bought it.

Reason (for the sale and quick resale) was the same as what you're experiencing: uncured latex than was crumbling. What we did was left it out to dry in the sun, and then had it draped over a 2x4 suspended between two ladders to dry out as much as possible and then vacuumed it top and bottom several times. We did catch the occasional whiff of rubber all winter (more so or wet/humid days) but that disappeared after the first winter.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China