Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Salvation Army

Salvation Army Book sale - 10 for $5 or 77 cents each

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 9:35 am
[OP]
May 17, 2011
772 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto

Salvation Army Book sale - 10 for $5 or 77 cents each

Deal Link:
Expiry:
February 20, 2020
Retailer:
Salvation Army
Not the typical RFD post but this is a great sale if you buy second hand books. I've found many brand new books at different GTA locations. Obviously selection and condition will vary.

This offer is at least 50% cheaper than their normal paperback price, and I think 75% for the hardcover books.

Edit to add dates - Feb 18/19/20 only.
Last edited by jrshopper on Feb 20th, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Apr 5, 2018
91 posts
644 upvotes
Thanks op! And it supports a great cause
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13434 posts
8807 upvotes
Markham
The biggest challenge is find books in different stores
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3152 posts
6430 upvotes
Honestly a great deal for books, but the Salvation Army is not a charity that offers their services as indiscriminately as they claim.
Still upvoted, thanks OP.
[OP]
May 17, 2011
772 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
kimwoobingsu wrote: Honestly a great deal for books, but the Salvation Army is not a charity that offers their services as indiscriminately as they claim.
Still upvoted, thanks OP.
I knew by posting that there might be some negativity towards the SA, and get why, but still it's much better than donating to a for profit like Value Village, imo. Thanks for the upvote!

And, for those that donate to SA but don't buy goods there, consider taking the coupon anyway and passing along to those who do shop there. I gave 5 coupons to a university professor who gave them to international students as they couldn't afford to buy a decent winter coat. You can drop coupons off to your local church, shelter, etc. if you don't know anyone who can use them.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4344 posts
10223 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
watch out for the bedbugs in the books, very common issue everywhere
[OP]
May 17, 2011
772 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
I made a mistake in the dates - still on today Feb 20 - edited original post to show the sale is still on.
Jul 18, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
it's a deal... don't tell my people about the glorious stories of the Buggalo... you might scare them off.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13434 posts
8807 upvotes
Markham
jrshopper wrote: I knew by posting that there might be some negativity towards the SA, and get why, but still it's much better than donating to a for profit like Value Village, imo. Thanks for the upvote!

And, for those that donate to SA but don't buy goods there, consider taking the coupon anyway and passing along to those who do shop there. I gave 5 coupons to a university professor who gave them to international students as they couldn't afford to buy a decent winter coat. You can drop coupons off to your local church, shelter, etc. if you don't know anyone who can use them.
How could international students not afford winter jackets? Isn't living and studying in Toronto as international students cost huge?
May 3, 2007
559 posts
830 upvotes
地球
smartie wrote: How could international students not afford winter jackets? Isn't living and studying in Toronto as international students cost huge?
Funny you ask that question despite your username.

I can only answer that question according to my own situation. My girlfriend was a international student living off a part time job and a small allowance from her parents. It does cost a lot for them to study and live here on their own. Her parents wanted for her a better life than in Venezuela, henceforth using their savings for her to become a cad citizen one day. She knew the struggles of making an income for her parents so she didn't want to farther her burden with them. She didn't have a winter jacket either when I first met her 3 years back, it was a gift from me and she still wears it today.

This is just my personal situation, everyone is different. Be open minded.
My wallet can only handle so much, must stop looking
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
3108 posts
5346 upvotes
Toronto
Vtlegend wrote: Funny you ask that question despite your username.

I can only answer that question according to my own situation. My girlfriend was a international student living off a part time job and a small allowance from her parents. It does cost a lot for them to study and live here on their own. Her parents wanted for her a better life than in Venezuela, henceforth using their savings for her to become a cad citizen one day. She knew the struggles of making an income for her parents so she didn't want to farther her burden with them. She didn't have a winter jacket either when I first met her 3 years back, it was a gift from me and she still wears it today.

Let's be honest..I think he just assumed all international students are Chinese..
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13434 posts
8807 upvotes
Markham
Vtlegend wrote: Funny you ask that question despite your username.

Fair enough

But I remember each year tuition fee can be 3000 Canadian dollars plus living cost. Hardly think they cannot afford a jacket

How much value village sell? 50 dollars?
Dec 16, 2011
85 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: But I remember each year tuition fee can be 3000 Canadian dollars plus living cost. Hardly think they cannot afford a jacket
Depends on the school and program. Tuition for international students at U of T (Scarborough) is $53,290 a year, and doesn't include housing and living expenses.

https://utsc.utoronto.ca/admissions/tuition-fees
[OP]
May 17, 2011
772 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: How could international students not afford winter jackets? Isn't living and studying in Toronto as international students cost huge?
It is huge. And many of these kids don't want to ask their parents for more money because they know the sacrifice the parents have already made to afford sending them here, so they trying to make due on their budget.
Most international students are not from super wealthy families.