Home & Garden

Same Paint color/code but different brand?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 9:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 17, 2002
989 posts
180 upvotes
Oakville

Same Paint color/code but different brand?

Bought a house a few months ago and did some touchups to the walls on the weekend. There was some left over paint (Benjamin Moore - must be really old, because they dont sell this type of paint anymore) which matched the existing wall colors, but not enough to finish the job. So I went over to homedepot yesterday, but they dont carry benjamin moore, so I bought Behr. Gave the code and color name, and the associate made the paint color.

Odd thing is, when I started and finished painting (let it dry overnight), the color is noticeably lighter! I'm an amateur painter, so I didnt think this would make much of a difference, but now I'm wondering if the associate made a mistake? Should I have cut a piece of the paint off the wall and let HD do a color match? Or just bite the bullet and go to some benjamin moore authorized dealer/store, and pay the premium to match the color?

Also, what exactly is 'Low Sheen'? Is this equivalent to eggshell or satin?
5 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10069 posts
5328 upvotes
Paris
Benjamin Moore has about 12 different made up “sheens” which make the paint look darker or lighter. I had an issue matching some a while ago as well. Was a huge PITA.
Jun 10, 2008
467 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
It'll never be a perfect match. You can have slightly different shades from the same can if you dont mix thoroughly everytime.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1326 posts
1021 upvotes
HAMILTON
Take the paint & the can that it came out of to Benjamin Moore and get it done right,,,, too many variances between manufacturers,
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
KennyX wrote: Should I have cut a piece of the paint off the wall and let HD do a color match?
Probably yes. I'd not use HD paint though ... I've had great luck with Sherwin-Williams being able to match paints when I bring them a flake.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1910 posts
344 upvotes
'sauga
Remember that you'll never be able to perfectly match paint that's already been on the wall for a period of time. Paint changes colour over time (fades in some cases, darkens in others). Really old paint used different solvents and pigment types as well.