• Oct 22nd, 2022 6:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto

Samosa Sweet Factory (Etobicoke)

Just wanted to check in here for some feedback, hopefully from people who are familiar with this business.

Context - This is a business in North West Etobicoke that sells some pretty awesome food, especially samosas, for very affordable prices. As the name implies, the samosas are made on site. I've gotten food from here for years. The one super annoying thing with this place is if you are there at the wrong time, when it is busy, you will be waiting in line long. One thing I've very much enjoyed is you can buy a big box of frozen samosas (200), which you can then make at home whenever you want.

Just had a terrible experience. This is actually the first time I've been there since before Covid. As mentioned, the place is busy, and with Covid, they now have the line-up outside, only allowing a few people in to place the order, and you then go outside and someone brings you the order. Seemed kinda good, as the place would often be crammed with people.

I was in the area (getting my 20lbs co2 tank filled at Sodmystic, which takes about 15 minutes), so decided to snag some samosas. Ordered 15 medium sized samosas (for $3), and a box of 200 frozen samosas (for $40). So - exact same price per each samosas (whether fresh, or frozen). While waiting outside, they brought me the hot ones, telling me the frozen ones would be out shortly. When the box of frozen samosas was brought, I immediately noticed that there was no plastic bag with samosas sauces. For all the years that I've gone and ordered this box, they give you a bag of green and red sauce packets, which I would then freeze and use whenever I made them at home. I asked the guy about the sauces, and he said there was none as far as he knew, but he would ask about it. After a few minutes, he came back and told me they do not give sauces with the frozen big box. I explained that I've been buying this for years, where they always gave the sauces. He said this would make sense, but told me he just started working there, and was told no sauces.

I put the box in my car, and went to speak with the manager. This is not something I ever do, and I totally kept wondering if I was channelling my inner Karen. So, I went inside, and basically had to wait forever until someone talked to me. They basically gave zero poop for my plight, and insisted this was how it was.
How does this make sense? As mentioned, the price for hot and frozen is identical (per samosa). When yoiu buy the hot ones, you get sauce with it. The manager insisted that you need to pay extra if you want it. To be clear - when I placed the order, there was no follow up question of "would you like to buy some sauces with that?". Also worth mentioning - nowhere in the store or on the menu does it even mention you can buy such a big box, so there isn't anywhere where they would list their sauce policy.

The manager would not relent, so then I said I would get the box from my car, and return it for a refund. She resisted, telling me a return was not possible. I stood my ground, and told her she could either take the return, or give me some sauces. She then authorised the return, so I brought the box from my car, and got my money back.

Was I nuts for doing this?

I'm still shocked that this was so difficult. How much can this sauce cost them?
Why on earth would anyone play such hardball on something like this?

Had I been told when I placed the order that sauce would have costed extra, I would have just bought some. The issue for me is that nothing was mentioned. It took a long time waiting in line to place this order, and then I had to spend even more time trying to figure things out.

In any case - the situation left a bad taste.
Was it reasonable for me not to relent on this?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1204 posts
2176 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
So they change their policy and it's no longer acceptable? Don't like it...move on. They lost a customer but with prices going up everywhere, businesses are all looking to squeeze every penny.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
fordmaple wrote: So they change their policy and it's no longer acceptable? Don't like it...move on. They lost a customer but with prices going up everywhere, businesses are all looking to squeeze every penny.
I think you've missed the point. The issue here is supper crappy customer service.
If they changed the policy, something should be said when the order is placed.
As mentioned - I would (likely) have just paid for some sauces.
They said nothing, resulting in a super annoying experience and waste of time.
More importantly - Who the F orders a bunch of samosas, and doesn't want sauces?

The issue for me is that they made what was already an annoying waiting experience even more annoying by not mentioning something significant.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3158 posts
269 upvotes
Unfortunately you sound like an Indian Karen

They changed their policy / price it happens they gave you a refund,
The samosas are cheap already you don’t have to be also
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
dre145 wrote: Unfortunately you sound like an Indian Karen

They changed their policy / price it happens they gave you a refund,
The samosas are cheap already you don’t have to be also
Unfortunately, I'm white as snow and not Indian, which actually makes me more Karen-ish (though I am a dude).
Looks like I didn't do a very good job conveying the experience (i likely should have taken more time to write this), as the problem wasn't money.
The issue for me was how things played out, which I think stemmed from being a cultural outsider combined with Covid restrictions.
I'm not pissed off by the concept of them charging for sauces (despite it being ridiculous in this situation, where you are paying the exact same price as hot samosas, where you get sauces).

"they gave you a refund"

Only because I was kicking and screaming. As mentioned, Asha refused to do this at first, and rightly so, given that this is a frozen food product.
I literally had to go full Karen in order for this to happen.
I did not enjoy this, at all.

But - what pissed me off was that all of this could be avoided if they passed on such info when I was at the cashier.
In order to "deal with this", I had to go back inside, thus putting myself and the other people inside at higher risk, and inconvenience the people who were waiting in line to place their orders.
While the posted sign said 6 people max inside, there were around 11 (myself included).
They had 3 functioning cashiers inside, plexiglass all around, with small gaps near each cashier (so items could be passed, and to communicate).
As such, the only way to figure things out was to go to a cashier, as there is no other way to talk to anyone.

You need to understand - in general, when it comes to customer service transactions, I'm actually very passive.
I'm very much not the sort of guy who flips out over stupid things.
I also take Covid very seriously, have people in my life who are not vaccinated (due to young age), and infrequently go out to stores or restaurants.

When the box was given to me outside, I had two choices - just take it and leave with no sauces (paid for or free), or go back inside to figure something out.
What pissed me off most of all was having to go back in there.
My entitlement was not towards my right to free sauces - my entitlement was towards having a reasonably timed transaction within a safe environment.

So - not "how dare you not give me free sauces", and more "why the F do I need to wait forever, jump through hoops, inconvenience other people, put myself at risk, just to figure something out about sauces?"
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2783 posts
2208 upvotes
GTA
I think people just want to side with the opposite of whatever posters post these days. I think your rationale made complete sense. If you had purchased 200 hot samosas, they would have given you sauce with it but because it is frozen, they don’t. That is only acceptable if the frozen ones are cheaper but they are not. Why even offer frozen if they are not cheaper? Next time, i would just order hot and freeze what was not eaten. But i imagine there won’t be a next time.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
I'm with you OP on sticking to a principle.
If I have certain expectations going in I'd probably react the same as you.
Onus is on the business to rectify the situation if they wish customers to return.
Knowing full well that sauces used to be given with a box of frozen samosas which is not discounted, I'd know you were a long time customer.
I'd have given you the sauce and thanked you for your patronage.
As a business owner I would realize I changed my policies and did not communicate it to my customers, and it was not until a longtime customer showed up, that I was reminded.
I would then either adjust the price for a box of frozen with sauce(may have to adjust fresh since the same price). OR
Put up a sign so that long time customers would know policies and prices have changed so they are more informed before purchasing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
moulamou wrote: I think people just want to side with the opposite of whatever posters post these days. I think your rationale made complete sense. If you had purchased 200 hot samosas, they would have given you sauce with it but because it is frozen, they don’t. That is only acceptable if the frozen ones are cheaper but they are not. Why even offer frozen if they are not cheaper? Next time, i would just order hot and freeze what was not eaten. But i imagine there won’t be a next time.
Yeah - I've noticed this trend too - users responding just to take a jab, with little interest in the situation beyond that. Small wonder why Canada has a reputation for subpar consumer advocacy.

I jokingly referred to myself as a Karen, fully aware that I don't actually meet the criteria (of which there are many, but the important one to cite is that a true Karen would be entirely righteous, and would care for nothing else beyond her own needs). Unfortunately, people now see Karen's in anything and everything, ignoring evidence that points otherwise.

In any case - thanks for weighing in - you get it. From a logical perspective, the policy is a head scratcher.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: I'm with you OP on sticking to a principle.
If I have certain expectations going in I'd probably react the same as you.
Onus is on the business to rectify the situation if they wish customers to return.
Knowing full well that sauces used to be given with a box of frozen samosas which is not discounted, I'd know you were a long time customer.
I'd have given you the sauce and thanked you for your patronage.
As a business owner I would realize I changed my policies and did not communicate it to my customers, and it was not until a longtime customer showed up, that I was reminded.
I would then either adjust the price for a box of frozen with sauce(may have to adjust fresh since the same price). OR
Put up a sign so that long time customers would know policies and prices have changed so they are more informed before purchasing.
You also get it - it really was a matter of principle.
All in all, really shitty that a manager would treat a customer as such.
Were I in her shoes, I'd recognise that the brand damage outweighs the savings.

Ultimately, I suspect that place must be a terrible work environment.
Clue #1 - Signs on the doors indicating they need workers
Clue #2 - Cashier had no idea what I was talking about when I placed the order, thus signalling they must be relatively new
Clue #3 - Guy who was handing over orders to customers indicated he had just started, and was not sure how things worked. He genuinely tried to help, and completely agreed that it would make sense to get sauces.

The way the manager handled things was terrible. I can only guess that they did not work there when giving out sauces was in play. With this said - did she think I was just making this up? The thing that pissed me off most of all was my interaction with her. It took forever to actually speak to her, and when she did, she seemed very preoccupied and distracted. She barely made any eye contact, and even moved away to talk to someone on the phone while we were figuring this out. Not even for a second did she even contemplate what the experience was from my perspective. I'm already annoyed by having to figure the situation out - have to deal with someone like this was the breaking point. How much did she save the company by playing the hard-line - it literally is pennies.

Point being - If she treats me as such, my expectation is she treats the customer service workers like crap too, which explains why they are having problems keeping workers in a high stress work environment.

The reasonable way to handle the situation would be to apologise for the confusion and time delays, then offer the sauces as a token of good faith, stressing that I should no longer expect such to be the case in the future.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31870 posts
18851 upvotes
Toronto
My coworker buys from this place regularly and bring them to the office
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20410 posts
8798 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly if they give sauces with the hot ones why not the frozen ones? That makes no sense. Also I hate it when you buy 15 vs 40 and they give you the same size sauces. Obviously you should be providing double larger the order. Yes I agree with OP without sauces it's not the same. It's not a policy change if they provide sauces with the hot ones but looks like they tried to pull a fast one with the OP given he is not Indian.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1301 upvotes
Elmira
I'd be pissed too. OP is right. Why would hot ones get them, and frozen ones not? It's ludicrous that they're priced the same, even
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4581 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
The notion of not providing sauce(s) with the frozen ones is stupid if they do for the cooked ones (as is charging the same). However, by your own admission OP you haven't been there in some time. It's entirely possible that they began informing clients a year ago that they would no longer be providing them for frozen ones (I know, it's weak, but still possible).

It's moves like that though that turn me off an establishment. I've had samosa's from that place once (coincidentally it was just a few weeks ago) and I enjoyed them but they weren't anything out of this world. The pricing however is fantastic.

If I had been behind the counter I would have said we'll include them for you this time but note that our policy has changed so moving forward don't expect them at no charge when you order the frozen ones.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5216 posts
3931 upvotes
of course the OP is right for standing his ground and forcing the business to either relent or refund. The owners just lost a customer who was right to question the inconsistent policy for the frozen food
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1143 posts
1803 upvotes
GTA
Ask the staff DYKWTFIA? Nuff said.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
tfong010 wrote: Ask the staff DYKWTFIA? Nuff said.
But it has nothing to do with who I am.

I'm just a regular guy who tried to buy 200 frozen samosas, and for inexplicable reasons, was not asked if I would want sauces, nor told I would not be getting any. I don't think you need to be anyone special in order for sauces to be considered when placing an order. It should be standard practice to ask a customer if they want sauces when a volume purchase is made, especially now that orders are received outside of the store, and especially because they once used to include them for free.

In all likelihood, I will contact the company about this.

I'm not looking for any kickback, nor is this out of anger. I just want clarification, and my hope would be they make clarifications with staff so no one else has to experience this. How hard can it be to tell all staff to ask about sauces when making a volume sale?

Despite this experience, I'm still a big fan of the business, and I wish them all the best. Chances are, Covid hit them hard, as I believe a huge chunk of their business involved catering to corporate events, private functions, etc.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20410 posts
8798 upvotes
Toronto
Best thing to do is call them and ask them if you buy 200 frozen samosas do you get sauces or no? Also if you buy 200 hot samosas do you get sauces.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7666 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
The pitchforks and torches are out for Samosa Sweets....

A Toronto sweets shop and restaurant has come under fire for something lots of businesses are doing right now: passing on credit card surcharge fees to customers.

Samosa and Sweet Factory on Albion Rd. has chosen to make the change, and people have become outraged, attacking them online with bad one-star reviews. Some people are concerned that their surcharge is more than a maximum 2.4 per cent surcharge cap.

There's even a Reddit thread showing their sign in the window informing people of charges for paying by debit, Visa or Mastercard, with a note that credit cards would be charged 3 per cent extra for orders of $10 or more. For orders less than $10 or debit, the charge is listed at 25 cents.
Here's the Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... sa_sweets/
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31870 posts
18851 upvotes
Toronto
the cap is 2.4%, no matter what amount of transaction. I see this business is going to take a bash or formal complaint filed .... or better yet, just take your businesses elsewhere (speak loudly with your wallet).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
9190 posts
1171 upvotes
Toronto
Most places charge for the sauces now..but I agree if you are buying in bulk there should be SOME sauce provided
Heat 43-0-0

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)