Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3420 posts
3554 upvotes
Montreal

$1169.99 with SPC discount Galaxy Book S Laptop with Buds+

Retailer:
Samsung
Good deal with the buds+. If you don't want to go the Apple route its a good deal! Must use SPC discount
Images
  • upload.jpg
6 replies
Aug 16, 2009
323 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
I just returned this laptop, I bought it when it had 15% off with SPC. (but no free galaxy buds)

just a few notes:
- This is an intel i5 SOC, it's only just marginally more powerful than the m3 on the surface go 2, and significantly less powerful on the current macbook air.
- It comes with a bi-lingual keyboard, no option for US layout. ke ytravel is also very shallow, This can be dealbreaker for some
- The keyboard backlight is very very dim, and there is no way of manually turning it on. While there is brightness control, the backlight itself will only come on when the room is nearly completely dark. Combined with low contrast between the letters and the keycap (thin off-white letters on a grey keycap) the visibility of the keys is pretty poor overall.

on the plus side, this laptop is SUPER light, about 900grams

TBH i think the macbook air back to school deal with free airpods is a better deal, MUCH better laptop pretty much in every aspect, except it is heavier than the galaxy book s. so unless you totally need windows, i think going with the mba is a better deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3420 posts
3554 upvotes
Montreal
electric0ant wrote: I just returned this laptop, I bought it when it had 15% off with SPC. (but no free galaxy buds)

just a few notes:
- This is an intel i5 SOC, it's only just marginally more powerful than the m3 on the surface go 2, and significantly less powerful on the current macbook air.
- It comes with a bi-lingual keyboard, no option for US layout. ke ytravel is also very shallow, This can be dealbreaker for some
- The keyboard backlight is very very dim, and there is no way of manually turning it on. While there is brightness control, the backlight itself will only come on when the room is nearly completely dark. Combined with low contrast between the letters and the keycap (thin off-white letters on a grey keycap) the visibility of the keys is pretty poor overall.

on the plus side, this laptop is SUPER light, about 900grams

TBH i think the macbook air back to school deal with free airpods is a better deal, MUCH better laptop pretty much in every aspect, except it is heavier than the galaxy book s. so unless you totally need windows, i think going with the mba is a better deal.
What about on the Windows side what would be comparable?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1127 posts
1328 upvotes
Kitchener
re: vs current macbook air: While I agree on a low end laptop, the keyboard, build quality, etc are a lot more important than the CPU..
Apple has never ever offered a higher end/more expensive CPU performance laptop than competitors for the same price. (and these are same price on sale)

In this case, it's just kinda apples and oranges.. Samsung choice the far more future thinking processor, a 5 core processor, while Apple choose a dual core. The higher core count helps more with multi tasking, like running a ton of chrome tabs or lots of different apps, while the Apple i3 chosen one is faster at single threaded stuff. In terms of raw costs, the i3 definitely cost apple a lot less.
Since they are both rather low end, I'd probably agree the faster single thread performance is better for most users, but it does depend a little bit on how you use it. Plus yea apple OSX is just less power hungry than windows 10 also leading to a quicker feel.

Here is a good comparison:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Cor ... re%20Turbo).

You can see in lots of benchmarks, the apple chosen CPU (Intel Core i3-1000NG4) is doing better, but in some of the more highly threaded ones, like Blender , the one samsung choose does better (Intel® Core™ i5-L16G7)

So the laptops are intended to be comparable, just different hardware guys made different decisions on what might be the best for that price point.

I quite like the specs on the new high end galaxy books, they will definitely crush comparable apples in performance everywhere, but yea the price skyrockets up fast on them.

Imo at this low end price point, for someone just interested in fast web browsing, light weight and nothing too complex, a chromebook is the best bang for buck. (Super lightweight, lots cheaper, and overall feels faster despite lower end hardware due to how optimised android/chromeOS is).
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15531 posts
14044 upvotes
Going to the Moon
What's so desirable about that laptop?

An Intel i5 laptop at 15.6" screen can be had for cheaper. For smaller laptops, are there really no better options? Haven't been in the market for them in a while.

Don't think a pair of earbuds would shift my choosing of one laptop over another. If they were to throw in a few hundred bucks off the laptop instead, that'd be much better.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2109 posts
2654 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The form factor is very compelling. That's what you really pay for. Otherwise you can get a $500 laptop with the same specs.

The LG is very comparable in terms of weight. However the Grams have crazy crazy battery life - like a 80WH battery for a 15in laptop while most competitors only go till 56WH.

I'm curious on how long the battery life is - is it over 15 hours?
Aug 16, 2009
323 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
Bigboy16 wrote: The form factor is very compelling. That's what you really pay for. Otherwise you can get a $500 laptop with the same specs.

The LG is very comparable in terms of weight. However the Grams have crazy crazy battery life - like a 80WH battery for a 15in laptop while most competitors only go till 56WH.

I'm curious on how long the battery life is - is it over 15 hours?
After my use I would be dubious that anyone would get even close to 15 hours. Even with the lid closed and in sleep mode it was still using up battery quite quickly. I don't think it even lasted a day with it in sleep mode.

I would not trust any battery claims from any windows laptops.

The only brand I know who quote accurate (or most accurate) battery life claims based on REAL LIFE usage, seems to be apple. and I'm a windows user..