https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Touch-Por ... B082YGVGQL
https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-t7-touch- ... -_-Product
Screenshot from 2020-07-18 15-16-42.jpg
27 replies
Apr 18, 2012
163 posts
49 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
Too bad the 2.5 in 2TB SSD aren't in sale, I need to expand my 2nd drive that holds my photo repository....
I have an older 850 Pro in 1TB, almost full, would like to upgrade it to 2TB soon...
if you see something like this please share!
Sep 18, 2017
88 posts
227 upvotes
I don't think that there is a 970 EVO in a 2.5in version
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44466 posts
7717 upvotes
cotesyl wrote: Too bad the 2.5 in 2TB SSD aren't in sale, I need to expand my 2nd drive that holds my photo repository....
I have an older 850 Pro in 1TB, almost full, would like to upgrade it to 2TB soon...
Sandisk was on sale few days ago. $249.99 for the 2.5" sata
Blanka
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
cotesyl wrote: Too bad the 2.5 in 2TB SSD aren't in sale, I need to expand my 2nd drive that holds my photo repository....
I'm guessing "money is no object"-ish at the time when the 1TB 850 Pro was purchased for photos.

If that's still the case, the 2TB 860 Pro is here: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07879KC15/
Or, the Crucial 2TB MX500 is here for half the price: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003J5JB12/
Apr 18, 2012
163 posts
49 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
chatbox wrote: I'm guessing "money is no object"-ish at the time when the 1TB 850 Pro was purchased for photos.
Well, it was my OS drive before I committed to upgrade my ol' Dell Latitude 6530 to a presision 7520, where I bought a M2 2TB (970 plus) for the OS drive, and the 850 became my 2nd drive, but it is now getting overloaded... you may know what it is to have more than 120K images in my library, and almost half of them are 45-50 MB RAW files

but thanks for the links above...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2769 posts
2484 upvotes
No matter how pissed people are that the fastest SSDs have a price premium, it's still a big sale and a hot deal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: No matter how pissed people are that the fastest SSDs have a price premium, it's still a big sale and a hot deal.
You can argue it's a hot deal for what it is but I can't imagine the market-share for someone who absolutely has to have a 2TB 970 Evo Plus should be terribly large. The market for the T7 is likely even smaller considering most of the speed gains get bottle-necked by USB anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2769 posts
2484 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: You can argue it's a hot deal
You can't argue. This is the cheapest price it's ever been.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3048 posts
2159 upvotes
Gotta love Samsung... name alone carries their sales. I think 2TB has become that sweet spot with people.
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: You can't argue. This is the cheapest price it's ever been.
An item being the cheapest it's ever been does not automatically make the deal hot. Regardless, that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2769 posts
2484 upvotes
flamenko wrote: Gotta love Samsung... name alone carries their sales.
Samsung has a reputation for making the fastest and highest quality SSDs because their SSDs are the fastest and highest quality. The slower (but also good quality) WD SN750 2TB is $470 right now if you need to save $30.
heavy-bw.png
Jep4444 wrote: An item being the cheapest it's ever been does not automatically make the deal hot. Regardless, that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.
The definition of a hot deal is that the price is lower than usual, not that any given person likes the product. Threads on this forum are about those low priced products.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: The definition of a hot deal is that the price is lower than usual, not that any given person likes the product. Threads on this forum are about those low priced products.
No it's not. A hot deal is a deal that is considered good. If a product's regular price represents poor value, the price being lower than usual does not automatically make the deal hot.

Let's actually play the game of why your definition makes no sense. Let's say tomorrow Samsung came out with a 970 QVO, equipped with a large dynamic SLC cache and all the other wonderful tricks SSD makers do to hide QLC's performance issues, and priced it so close to the 970 EVO Plus that the initial pricing makes no sense(ie $500+). Since this drive would generally be ill suited for productivity tasks, where the 970 Evo Plus excels, this would generally make it poor value across the board. It would take a very substantial sale to make such a drive a hot deal, considering SN750 routinely drop under $500 (it's $470 rn) and several other 2TB TLC drives can often be had for well under $400.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3048 posts
2159 upvotes
Loomy wrote: Samsung has a reputation for making the fastest and highest quality SSDs because their SSDs are the fastest and highest quality. The slower (but also good quality) WD SN750 2TB is $470 right now if you need to save $30.
FireCuda PCIe 4 2TB - $489
Sabrent Rocket 2TB - $369
Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB - $369
XPG Gammix 2TB - $329
ADATA SX8200 2TB - $315

These are but a few. You have fallen victim to the hype with respect what is bigger and better, yet you are speaking about the EVO which is Samsung's value SSD. Did ya wonder why the Optane is in that chart but we don't see the 960 or 970 Pro. I would suggest that the PCIe 4 Seagate 2TB might give the EVO a run for its money...or maybe even the Sabrent Rocket...for much less. We are paying for EVO today what we should be really paying for Pro, but for company popularity. Don't get me wrong. Samsung makes amazing SSDs and nothing will touch the Pro line. Simple fact is though, when you have a name like Samsung, you can charge what you want. And they do. Can't blame them.
2484 upvotes
flamenko wrote: FireCuda PCIe 4 2TB - $489
XPG Gammix 2TB - $329
ADATA SX8200 2TB - $315
I said "high quality". Those are all slower, lower quality drives. The reason the more expensive drives are faster is because they use more expensive components. One of the common defects that cheap SSDs hide is their performance while filled. If your SSD speed drops in half when you put things on it, then either you've got a slower drive than you thought, or you've got a smaller drive than you thought, because you need to manually overprovision in your head and only use a fraction of the available space. The way you can tell a professional SSD reviewer from a novice is that they test the drive when it's full.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3048 posts
2159 upvotes
Loomy wrote: I said "high quality". Those are all slower, lower quality drives. The reason the more expensive drives are faster is because they use more expensive components. One of the common defects that cheap SSDs hide is their performance while filled. If your SSD speed drops in half when you put things on it, then either you've got a slower drive than you thought, or you've got a smaller drive than you thought, because you need to manually overprovision in your head and only use a fraction of the available space. The way you can tell a professional SSD reviewer from a novice is that they test the drive when it's full.
Really? Let me know exactly what components on the first two drives are cheap. The first drive reaches 5GB/s. The first two drives have Phison controllers and Toshiba BiCS 4 3D TLC. Start listing out slower and low quality because its not there. EVO is a value SSD. Firecuda and Sabrent Rocket are high end premium SSDs with same premium components. The Gammix...much cheaper uses the SMI 2262 with Micron TLC... again not value but the cheapest of the bunch.

Oh and testing a drive when its full. What would ever be your purpose for that? Do you understand TRIM and write-leveling? If you did you would know that EVERY SSD is subject to slowing once full. Overprovisioning for a consumer SSD? Anyone who runs an SSD at 95% or greater needs to get another SSD. What do you care if your SSD slow, which it will, when close to full? Its tantamount to saying its ok to drive your car until it runs out of gas because you have a can in the back. Why did you let it run empty in any case?
Last edited by flamenko on Jul 21st, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2484 upvotes
flamenko wrote: Really? Let me know exactly what components on the first two drives are cheap. The first drive reaches 5GB/s. The first two drives have Phison controllers and Toshiba BiCS 4 3D TLC. Start listing out slower and low quality because its not there. EVO is a value SSD. Firecuda and Sabrent Rocket are high end premium SSDs with same premium components. The Gammix...much cheaper uses the SMI 2262 with Micron TLC... again not value but the cheapest of the bunch.
One of the ways SSD makers trick you into thinking those SSDs are faster than they are is by using fast DRAM as a cache, which can be exhausted under load. Another is to run the NAND in a higher-performance mode that takes up space, and then when space runs out, that mode is turned off and the SSD slows down. Another trick is to save money by not including enough extra NAND on the board to guarantee high performance when full. This is called over-provisioning, and that unused space is used for maintenance work and decommissioning of broken cells. As that maintenance work gets overloaded on the cheaper controllers with more limited NAND, the SSD slows down. Random writes especially slow down as garbage collection load goes up. This also means less wear-leveling which reduces the life of the SSD, and is why the cheaper drives have less rated life span.

As you can see from the graphic below, the cheap Silicon Motion SSDs lose most of their performance when full. Companies can get away with that because the less-discerning customers can't tell a difference anyway. Not everyone needs the best.

Jan 10, 2006
724 posts
601 upvotes
FireCuda PCIe 4 2TB - $489
XPG Gammix 2TB - $329
ADATA SX8200 2TB - $315
Loomy wrote: The way you can tell a professional SSD reviewer from a novice is that they test the drive when it's full.
Do you have links to such reviews for any of these 2TB nvme SSDs? I'm curious about the SX8200 in particular for general/gaming use. The peak sequential speeds are pretty meaningless anyhow for most people I think.

My own 2TB Micron SATA SSD is ~50% filled, but some partitions are 80-90% filled. The performance on the nearly full partitions is lower compared to the empty drive/partitions when tested with hdparm -t. While I think about it, it hasn't been enough of an issue for me to do anything about it yet. :P I could delete some large test VMs or allocate some of the free space on the disk, but I just haven't bothered... yet.

EDIT: Well, damn. Thanks for replying even before I posted my question. :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: FireCuda PCIe 4 2TB - $489
XPG Gammix 2TB - $329
ADATA SX8200 2TB - $315

These are but a few. You have fallen victim to the hype with respect what is bigger and better, yet you are speaking about the EVO which is Samsung's value SSD. Did ya wonder why the Optane is in that chart but we don't see the 960 or 970 Pro. I would suggest that the PCIe 4 Seagate 2TB might give the EVO a run for its money...or maybe even the Sabrent Rocket...for much less. We are paying for EVO today what we should be really paying for Pro, but for company popularity. Don't get me wrong. Samsung makes amazing SSDs and nothing will touch the Pro line. Simple fact is though, when you have a name like Samsung, you can charge what you want. And they do. Can't blame them.
You should add the Sabrent Rocket PCie 4.0 to the list. There is no tax on it so for many, it'll end up being cheaper than the FireCuda 520. They're basically the same drive anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: One of the ways SSD makers trick you into thinking those SSDs are faster than they are is by using fast DRAM as a cache, which can be exhausted under load. Another is to run the NAND in a higher-performance mode that takes up space, and then when space runs out, that mode is turned off and the SSD slows down.
Every single TLC/QLC NVMe drive on the market does one of those two things, or both. TLC isn't fast enough ATM to saturate PCIe 3.0 4x. Even the 970 Evo Plus caps out at around 1.5GB/s (might be a shade higher) when writing directly to TLC.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)