• Jul 20th, 2020 11:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7511 posts
8074 upvotes
Vancouver

Samsung accidentally bricked its Blu-Ray players

As a result of a stupid combination of a firmware bug, a policy of intrusive spying and forced updates, and an apparent total lack of release testing of updates, Samsung managed to remotely brick a bunch of their internet-connected Blu-Ray players. They can't be fixed by the user, have to be returned to Samsung for electronic surgery.
https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/18/ ... explained/

It happened like this:
- The Blu-Ray player connects to Samsung on every startup or on a daily scheduled basis to check for forced updates, including updated or withdrawn apps, or new/changed restrictions on apps.
- Among other things, Samsung makes users of their internet-connected Blu-Ray players agree to send their app usage data to Samsung so they can sell it to third parties. In return Samsung updates an xml file on the Blu-Ray player that unlocks access to the apps.
- Last month Samsung pushed an xml file that contained an empty list, which is allowed xml syntax.
- Unfortunately there was a bug in Samsung's poorly-written code for parsing xml files and it choked on the empty list
- Even more unfortunately the xml file is parsed during the boot sequence, causing boot to fail and start over before it gets to the point where it would download updates from Samsung
- Result: endless boot loop, can only be fixed by accessing the CPU in hardwired debug mode.

Fortunately it apparently only affects certain model years - at least 2015, unknown about others yet.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24322 posts
31192 upvotes
Big brain move.

Maybe they're pushing for a BR 8K standard and motivating their consumers.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3750 posts
2431 upvotes
London
i though samsung stopped making bluray players back in 2019 samsung players were never all that great anyway. sony also makes awful players now to there x700 and x800m2 4k players are god awful they freeze up when playing movies and they cant even auto detect a dobly vision disc like all other brands players can u have to figure out witch discs have dobly vision and witch dont and then go though several menus to manually turn it off or on each time..

only good brand left is panasonic there ub820 is a quality player
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21154 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: only good brand left is panasonic there ub820 is a quality player
I have the Panasonic UB820 and UB400. In terms of features and quality, they're great. However, Panasonic really needs to work on their interface though. It looks like they've taken their cues from DVD players from 15 years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3750 posts
2431 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: I have the Panasonic UB820 and UB400. In terms of features and quality, they're great. However, Panasonic really needs to work on their interface though. It looks like they've taken their cues from DVD players from 15 years ago.
i don't really have any complaints about the interface but then again i just use it to play discs so its just pop it in and let it do its thing. i also run a hacked firmware on mine that lets u play any region bluray and makes a lot of the things like fbi warnings skip able that normally aren't
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6959 posts
2608 upvotes
Vancouver
This is why all of my windows updates are deferred for a long time and I've also disabled firefox and many other apps. This was not the first time. These forced updates should be illegal.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13025 posts
8265 upvotes
Markham
dazz wrote: This is why all of my windows updates are deferred for a long time and I've also disabled firefox and many other apps. This was not the first time. These forced updates should be illegal.
Forced update definitely should be illegal.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3750 posts
2431 upvotes
London
smartie wrote: Forced update definitely should be illegal.
most players have the option to disable auto update. mircosoft is really they only ones who force updates on people. the new version of windows 10 2004 they even took away the option to defer updates upto 365 days. now u can only stop it for a month.
Last edited by aaron158 on Jul 18th, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
dazz wrote: This is why all of my windows updates are deferred for a long time and I've also disabled firefox and many other apps. This was not the first time. These forced updates should be illegal.
This is also why I run LTSC. I'm never leaving what's essentially 1809 until the next version or 2 of LTSC comes out and I wipe and reinstall.
smartie wrote: Forced update definitely should be illegal.
What's even worse is what MS pulled on Windows 7 during the launch of Windows 10.
Forced updates make sense to the average idiot, but a forced version upgrade? That's a lawsuit worthy offense.
I laughed at (and felt for) businesses that were reliant on Windows walking into work and having shit being on fire because a forced version upgrade completely shat the bed.
This should have never happened in the first place.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13025 posts
8265 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: This is also why I run LTSC. I'm never leaving what's essentially 1809 until the next version or 2 of LTSC comes out and I wipe and reinstall.

What's even worse is what MS pulled on Windows 7 during the launch of Windows 10.
Forced updates make sense to the average idiot, but a forced version upgrade? That's a lawsuit worthy offense.
I laughed at (and felt for) businesses that were reliant on Windows walking into work and having shit being on fire because a forced version upgrade completely shat the bed.
No kidding for those business users

I mean when Microsoft forced update, might be update itself is perfect, but it could break those applications running in windows. Business definitely needs test before upgrade
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6959 posts
2608 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
It took me a long time to upgrade from 7 to 10. I kept 10 on my backup laptop as a testing toy and a few tries within the first 2 years on my main PCs were all massive fails for different reasons. It was was BAAAD. It was as bad as ME, Vista and Windows 8 - 3 most garbage versions of Windows. Eventually they stopped updating 7 and all new hardware were made for the 10 and that forced everyone to work on the bugs and in the last couple of years it's been finally a good OS, if you don't count all the spyware, forced updates and other crap. At least it was free, since I paid ( very little...lol) for other OS's .
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9217 posts
2246 upvotes
EugW wrote: I have the Panasonic UB820 and UB400. In terms of features and quality, they're great. However, Panasonic really needs to work on their interface though. It looks like they've taken their cues from DVD players from 15 years ago.
I agree, amazing products...lousy interfaces. Every time I turn on my Panasonic LCD TV I'm reminded of this but to be fair, the TV is from 2006. Picture quality is still excellent.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Unfortunately I believe I am one of their victims of this update

Was wondering why my Samsung player isn't working anymore

Samsung can eat my ass

Thanks for the info btw
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
Looks a lot like Samsung only makes good cell phones. Everything else sucks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24322 posts
31192 upvotes
badOne wrote: Looks a lot like Samsung only makes good cell phones. Everything else sucks.
Good phones. Pretty good TVs.

Samsung is a mega-conglomerate, a sizable chunk of the South Korean economy.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3750 posts
2431 upvotes
London
badOne wrote: Looks a lot like Samsung only makes good cell phones. Everything else sucks.
expect for that time they released phones with exploding batteries that make it so a lot of countries now refuse to let u ship things by air now if they have lithium batteries in them thanks so much for that Samsung.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
dazz wrote: It took me a long time to upgrade from 7 to 10.
It's still taking me a long time.
Honestly... I think 7 is going to realistically be the end of the line for me. The machines that are still on 7 (aka most of them) will probably never get 10.
Those on 10 (or those that I can't install 7 on) will get LTSC as a compromise but even then....
in the last couple of years it's been finally a good OS, if you don't count all the spyware, forced updates and other crap.

I still hate 10. I've never sworn at an OS as much as I do 10.
I'm gonna throw a bounty out there: If anyone has any way of permanently disabling Task View from functioning, I'm sending you $20.
Hiding the button doesn't disable it. Disabling it via GPO isn't possible. Disabling the gesture that triggers it is hit or miss at best (mostly miss otherwise there wouldn't be a bounty)
I could go on, but there's already a thread of mine with how much I hate 10.
Even cell phones are kinda meh now.
They used to be good until they decided to literally "Samsung" everything so you get shittier uninstallable versions of random apps.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14251 posts
3484 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
SSDs?
LCD panels?
:D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
I had the S2 and S2 Plus. I got the S2 because at the time it was so awesome, and HTC was not for that generation. S2 DIED just right after warranty. Flat out motherboard died, replacement part was $200+ something. Needed a phone asap so ended up with S2 Plus, which unlike the name, wasn't better than the S2 but worse.

Samsung TVs are okay, but mine has ads...Fridge is alright, washer dryer shakes harder than a dancefloor.

Good thing i didn't plug in blu ray player by ethernet, doesn't have wifi so I'm safe.

Samsung also makes a ton of other industrial things, chemicals, components, parts, oil/gas, food, cosmetics,
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16883 posts
14485 upvotes
GTA, ON
Wow. Stupid.

I use my PS3 and PS4 as my Blu-ray players.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!