Cell Phones

Samsung AMOLED screen smartphones (Galaxy, Note etc): Bad to have at max brightness?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 10:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
694 posts
200 upvotes

Samsung AMOLED screen smartphones (Galaxy, Note etc): Bad to have at max brightness?

Because of the burn-in issue on OLED screens, I was told that it's bad and will increase the risk of burn in if you have your display brightness in the red zone (max?). I was told to never have the phone's brightness in the red zone. is this true?

Anyone here use max brightness often like when outside?
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14332 posts
4914 upvotes
London
It only becomes a problem if you have a static image on the screen for hours on end
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2182 posts
1232 upvotes
Calgary
It's true - having the phone at max brightness frequently will cause burn-in quicker.
Viper98 wrote: It only becomes a problem if you have a static image on the screen for hours on end
You mean like the Android navigation and status bar or even prolonged use of the keyboard over time?
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14332 posts
4914 upvotes
London
Devhux wrote: It's true - having the phone at max brightness frequently will cause burn-in quicker.

You mean like the Android navigation and status bar or even prolonged use of the keyboard over time?
Yes like that.... Which is why I use gesture navigation for everything.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14332 posts
4914 upvotes
London
Devhux wrote: It's true - having the phone at max brightness frequently will cause burn-in quicker.

Yes like that.... Which is why I use gesture navigation for everything.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
694 posts
200 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: It only becomes a problem if you have a static image on the screen for hours on end
Oh I was told it applies to everything though, that it's not good to run AMOLED screens at max brightness? Maybe that's why Samsung has it in red in the newest phones? To show people not to use max brightness setting?
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
694 posts
200 upvotes

That's not good to hear. You would think a high end Samsung phone would be able to run at max screen brightness without issue.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
694 posts
200 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: Yes like that.... Which is why I use gesture navigation for everything.
Same, I started using gesture nav simply to get rid of the static nav buttons on the buttons. It takes some getting used to but it's not too bad.