Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Samsung.ca

Galaxy Tab S 5E $550/$650 bonus AKG Y500 headphones

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 9:24 am
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2036 posts
934 upvotes
Calgary
*buzzyon wrote: I just got a shipping notice and my receipt is very strange. Anybody else's look like this? Maybe it's the headphones? Also, does Staples seriously not provide tracking?
Mine looked exactly like that.
Totally archaic.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
parshakov wrote: Do you have Netflix Premium? If so, could play the Test Patterns video and check if the resolution is 1080p or 720p?
720p unfortunately. I hope there is a work around. The tab s4 has similar issues with YouTube Netflix and Amazon video.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
I noticed this called jello scrolling. Not a deal breaker for me because tab s4 has it too. But it's strange coming from a tab s 10.5 that never had it.

Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2169 posts
7243 upvotes
Calgary, AB
insomnia77 wrote: 720p unfortunately. I hope there is a work around. The tab s4 has similar issues with YouTube Netflix and Amazon video.
There is a workaround but I don't have the tablet yet to test it. You have to sideload an older version of the Netflix app and you can apparently have 1080p. It's not elegant though as you miss some nice updates the latest version boasts.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: There is a workaround but I don't have the tablet yet to test it. You have to sideload an older version of the Netflix app and you can apparently have 1080p. It's not elegant though as you miss some nice updates the latest version boasts.
This tablet has such a gorgeous display and no apps that support hdr and full HD crazy. YouTube 1140p but no hdr. Hopefully it comes with a update
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote: 720p unfortunately. I hope there is a work around. The tab s4 has similar issues with YouTube Netflix and Amazon video.
This is a let down. I am cancelling my pre order.
Feb 4, 2014
226 posts
156 upvotes
Kingston
Ohh, too bad. I hope if more people express their frustration to Netflix they will bring back 1080p to Android devices. Sadly, most people don't care if it's 360p or 720p or 1080p...

Yes, there is a workaround. Just install an older version of Netflix from apkmirror. I'm using Netflix 4.12 on my phone. I think they allowed 1080p streaming up to version 5.0.
Last edited by parshakov on Apr 22nd, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 4, 2014
226 posts
156 upvotes
Kingston
insomnia77 wrote: This tablet has such a gorgeous display and no apps that support hdr and full HD crazy. YouTube 1140p but no hdr. Hopefully it comes with a update
Don't get your hopes up, Youtube HDR never came to the Tab S4.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
slayerwulf wrote: This is a let down. I am cancelling my pre order.
I would at least try it. If you dont like it can return it.
Feb 11, 2019
420 posts
457 upvotes
ON
S5e just got support for Linux on Dex, which coincidentally would also solve the 1080p Netflix issue
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote: I would at least try it. If you dont like it can return it.
No 1080p or hdr on netflix and I dont need to open it to tell you I dont like it :). Its crazy to me to basically build a media device then absolutely suck at its main purpose.
Oct 2, 2013
464 posts
442 upvotes
BRAMPTON
blyndfyre wrote: Is anyone ordering a screen protector or tablet sleeve? If so, what are you going with?
I got the spigen tempered glass screen protector and a nidoo 10 inch laptop case. I have the same case for my surface go, great case with nice inner lining.

Got the tablet yesterday, great device. No Flex that I can appreciate and perfect for my usage needs (media, internet, books, comics).
Oct 2, 2013
464 posts
442 upvotes
BRAMPTON
insomnia77 wrote: I noticed this called jello scrolling. Not a deal breaker for me because tab s4 has it too. But it's strange coming from a tab s 10.5 that never had it.

I think it's inherent with OLED screens and low brightness. I notice it more on my Pixel 2 XL but haven't noticed much with th s5e last night.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
DeNovo2011 wrote: I think it's inherent with OLED screens and low brightness. I notice it more on my Pixel 2 XL but haven't noticed much with th s5e last night.
Check it out in portrait mode. Mine is crazy noticable but I have a feeling it's not any worse than other since been around since tab s2.
Oct 2, 2013
464 posts
442 upvotes
BRAMPTON
insomnia77 wrote: Check it out in portrait mode. Mine is crazy noticable but I have a feeling it's not any worse than other since been around since tab s2.
I'll take a look tonight. I usually set up my screens for dark mode/AMOLED mode for battery savings. Last night didn't notice it when I had to set the darkness pretty low. I've been using it pretty much portrait only. I know there's variability from screen to screen and manufacturers but Samsung panels tend to be top of the line. I know my Pixel has it but I've also stopped noticing it!
Jan 18, 2017
422 posts
449 upvotes
just bought the S5e from Staples with the $30 discount, ebates and airmiles...really struggled with decision with S3 at Costco for 499 or the S5e...hopefully I chose wisely

For those of you that already have it please post your mini review of the S5E

Getting it delivered to local store - how does it work for returns - is it 14 days from date of pick up at the store or is it 14 days from date of delivery to the store??
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2010
1181 posts
59 upvotes
BURLINGTON
you made the right decision the s3 is too old not worth $500 anymore. i will be getting the s5e shortly
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
Has anyone that ordered from Samsung directly received their shipping info yet?

Also for those of you that have your tablets already how does Netflix look on it? I've been reading about the lack of HDR and only having 720P playback. I'm curious if Linux for DeX could help with this? Certainly for the resolution but does Linux handle HDR?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
Aklorian wrote: Has anyone that ordered from Samsung directly received their shipping info yet?

Also for those of you that have your tablets already how does Netflix look on it? I've been reading about the lack of HDR and only having 720P playback. I'm curious if Linux for DeX could help with this? Certainly for the resolution but does Linux handle HDR?
I recieved my order from Samsung yesterday. Netflix is still 720p in DeX mode and no hdr. YouTube is 1440p and looks amazing but no hdr. The screen is very bright and compared to pq of my lg c7 I can live without hdr. But no 1080p or higher unless using old Netflix app is a pitty. I would not be surprised is the tab s 5 with new snapdragon gets better support. But I have a feeling the price will be like iPad pro territory

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)