[Samsung.ca] Galaxy Tab S 5E $550/$650 bonus AKG Y500 headphones

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2019 9:18 am
Aug 25, 2008
471 posts
321 upvotes
KillerX wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 9:33 pm
Ahhh thanks for the explanation... So what would you do if you were me, keep the iPad, or get this tablet.... Or get a used S3?

Thanks again
I'd also have a look at the Huawei MediaPad 5 series. I almost bought the 10" pro version before getting a HP X2 instead.
Jan 7, 2011
184 posts
52 upvotes
Markham
KillerX wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 9:33 pm
Ahhh thanks for the explanation... So what would you do if you were me, keep the iPad, or get this tablet.... Or get a used S3?

Thanks again
Depends on a number of factors really.
- Firstly if battery life was the reason for your previous upgrade are you okay with a second hand S3 whos battery life may also be compromised?
- The Tab S5E has a faster processor though GPU performance between both should be comparable. However, the S5E is based on a 10nm process vs the 14nm on the S3 which will make it more power efficient.
- Tab S5E has a brighter and more pixel-dense screen which is what you ideally want for media consumption.
- I believe its 400 grams and Metal vs Glass back but that's a personal preference.

If you only want the tablet you can always preorder now and sell the headphones to recover some of your money back at the very least $120 maybe more. 4 GB Ram version is ideal given that it has expandable storage. RAM is only going to matter if you plan to multitask or switch between more than 3 or 4 apps and can't wait for them to load. Additionally, if you do multi task i.e. split screen then maybe wait for the S5 because the processor for the S5E and S3 are not ideal for it. However, the S3 has SPEN which doesn't seem like something you specifically need but its a plus for the S3.

Having considered all that it comes down to price. S5E: $620 ($500 if you preorder and sell headphones) vs Price of used S3.
Jan 7, 2011
184 posts
52 upvotes
Markham
Painman wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 10:37 pm
I'd also have a look at the Huawei MediaPad 5 series. I almost bought the 10" pro version before getting a HP X2 instead.
Not a bad tablet but the software experience is really a compromise and that's if you can find it for $350 or less. They also have an on going issue where you can not use the Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time.
Dec 16, 2012
551 posts
175 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Thanks is guys, I think I'm doing it...I can't stand the iPad so even if it's a few hundred more, I think it's worth it. The 5e it is!

B
Feb 11, 2016
207 posts
127 upvotes
KillerX wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 11:05 pm
Thanks is guys, I think I'm doing it...I can't stand the iPad so even if it's a few hundred more, I think it's worth it. The 5e it is!

B
Look at Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (7" phablet smartphone). Not heavy and portable.
Oct 18, 2016
175 posts
79 upvotes
I love how Samsung is one of the only few companies still trying to profit from tablets. Everyone that wanted one got an iPad and then people realized how friggin useless tablets were for 90% of the people that bought them. I'm just amazed at the pricing though and how it's rizen thanks in no parts to Apple's scammy price-gouging and everyone following suit.

Considering how light and comparable in terms of battery life ultrabooks have gotten, I'd say this HP for $699 would be a tremendous deal with a gorgeous 14" screen, an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and, most importantly, Windows 10 meaning you have an actual computer. https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-1 ... y/12620842.

Somewhere along the line, looks like the value proposition for tablets has been lost.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1117 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" is $299 at Costco right now. Cheapest I've seen it.

This still a good tablet?

Galaxy Tab S2
Last edited by iluvsdadeals on Apr 21st, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 4, 2014
102 posts
57 upvotes
Lethbridge
Sadly, it's not possible to adjust the white balance of the screen manually, which will shift slightly after a couple years of use. I have this problem with my Tab S 10.5, though the picture quality is still amazing overall.
Feb 4, 2014
102 posts
57 upvotes
Lethbridge
Mwazam82 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2019 11:02 am
I love how Samsung is one of the only few companies still trying to profit from tablets. Everyone that wanted one got an iPad and then people realized how friggin useless tablets were for 90% of the people that bought them. I'm just amazed at the pricing though and how it's rizen thanks in no parts to Apple's scammy price-gouging and everyone following suit.

Considering how light and comparable in terms of battery life ultrabooks have gotten, I'd say this HP for $699 would be a tremendous deal with a gorgeous 14" screen, an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and, most importantly, Windows 10 meaning you have an actual computer. https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-1 ... y/12620842.

Somewhere along the line, looks like the value proposition for tablets has been lost.
To get a laptop with truly gorgeous screen like on the Tab S5e, you'll have to shell out at least $2000. Gorgeous is not the word I would use to describe an IPS display.
Oct 2, 2013
309 posts
128 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Mwazam82 wrote:

This is nowhere close to a similar comparison. These are 2 completely different use scenarios and different markets they're being aimed at. Media consumption vs productivity.

Also that ultra book you posted is 3.24 lbs vs 500+ gms of the tablet. It's a decent deal if you need a functional laptop.
Jul 22, 2014
546 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Mwazam82 wrote:

I mean, if someone is looking for a tablet, that laptop can't compete. It's much bigger and heavier and so is it's charge adapter. The display and speakers are much better on the S5e. That laptop is also much more expensive than the S5e. Most of all, it can't be configured as a tablet so why am I even bothering comparing.

But one more thing, for a media consuming device, as the S5e is intended, some people don't want to deal with the poor tablet display implementation of Windows 10, not to mention Windows 10 large and often buggy updates. You'll spend more time updating and researching fixes for issues in Windows 10 than you will with Samsung's modded Android.

Edit: Laptop also doesn't include $200 Bluetooth on-ear headphones.
Aug 17, 2009
55 posts
10 upvotes
Deemo wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 9:23 am
No details of anything that was shipped.

That does concern me that if the headphones didn't show up how am I supposed to prove they did or didn't.

Is this supposed to be one day delivery?
It seems like they will be shipping separately.
Last edited by *buzzyon on Apr 24th, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 24, 2012
666 posts
420 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
iluvsdadeals wrote:
Apr 21st, 2019 11:08 am
Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" is $299 at Costco right now. Cheapest I've seen it. This still a good tablet?

Galaxy Tab S2
It should be, we just bought the 8" version which has the same hardware. Is that price online only or is it in stores as well?
Feb 4, 2014
102 posts
57 upvotes
Lethbridge
iluvsdadeals wrote:
Apr 21st, 2019 11:08 am
Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" is $299 at Costco right now. Cheapest I've seen it.

This still a good tablet?

Galaxy Tab S2
Don't buy a tablet with a screen aspect ratio of 4:3 if you are planning to used it for watching movies or YouTube. Videos will look tiny on such a screen, with huge black bars above and below.

Don't forget that with the S5e you get a bunch of bonuses ($200 headphones, $30 coupon, $5.2 ebates, airmiles, 4 months of Youtube Premium and 3 months of Spotify Premium).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)