Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Samsung.ca

Galaxy Tab S 5E $550/$650 bonus AKG Y500 headphones

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 9:24 am
Feb 11, 2016
608 posts
498 upvotes
Painman wrote: Long time Android tablet user here. I just couldn't bring myself to buy another Android tablet, despite how much I wanted to. Google and other 3rd parties seem to have mostly abandoned the market. Look how few options there are, particularly on the high end. I bought an HP X2 Convertible Chromebook instead. I enjoy knowing that I'll get my OS updated regularly for years. It also comes with a keyboard and stylus and has been great for work or play (Chrome OS runs Android apps if you weren't already aware). Something to at least consider if you are in the market for a tablet.
Yep. I barely used my 10" tablet since buying it years ago. I would rather get something like Xiaomi Mi Max 3 7" phablet if I need a portable big screen. For any productive work, laptop it is.

The ergonomics of a tablet is all wrong if you think about it. Awkward to hold it while standing, it is like holding a heavy book which no one reads standing. If you are sitting, you might as well look at a laptop since it doesn't require you to look down and endure neck pain.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11267 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: I'm not talking about the maximum brightness. I'm talking about the method they employ to dim the display. To lower the brightness below 100%. They use Pulse Width Modulation, which isn't too bad at high frequencies, but they likely use 240hz like the Tab S4. That's too low for my liking.
Sorry, but there is zero chance you can see a 240Hz PWM rate, zero, no human can, our eyes just don't work that way, and don't come anywhere near to perceiving something blinking that fast. And all this is ignoring the fact that the phosphors used in the white LEDs that form the backlight don't react that fast, so even if you COULD perceive 240Hz blinking, the LEDs wouldn't be able to blink that fast.

There may be another aspect of the display that's bugging you, but the 240Hz PWM rate for the backlight LEDs isn't one of them.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
Amazon video just gave it hdr ultra HD support
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2169 posts
7243 upvotes
Calgary, AB
repatch wrote: Sorry, but there is zero chance you can see a 240Hz PWM rate, zero, no human can, our eyes just don't work that way, and don't come anywhere near to perceiving something blinking that fast. And all this is ignoring the fact that the phosphors used in the white LEDs that form the backlight don't react that fast, so even if you COULD perceive 240Hz blinking, the LEDs wouldn't be able to blink that fast.

There may be another aspect of the display that's bugging you, but the 240Hz PWM rate for the backlight LEDs isn't one of them.
Just because you can't see it happening doesn't mean it isn't having any affect.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
repatch wrote: Sorry, but there is zero chance you can see a 240Hz PWM rate, zero, no human can, our eyes just don't work that way, and don't come anywhere near to perceiving something blinking that fast. And all this is ignoring the fact that the phosphors used in the white LEDs that form the backlight don't react that fast, so even if you COULD perceive 240Hz blinking, the LEDs wouldn't be able to blink that fast.

Just an fyi oled are self emitting. There is no backlight.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
Streaming Video Quality: UHD/HDR/HD on Sony Xperia XZ/XZ2 Premium mobile devices; HDR /HD on Samsung Galaxy Note 7/8/9, Galaxy 8/8+/9/9+, Galaxy Tab S3, Galaxy S10e/Galaxy S10/Galaxy S10+, Sony Xperia XZ1/XZ2/XZ2 Compact/XZ3; HD on Samsung Galaxy A7, Galaxy A8s, Galaxy A9, Galaxy A10, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A30, Galaxy A40, Galaxy A50, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70, Galaxy M10, Galaxy M20, Galaxy M30, Galaxy Tab S5e

Just as others have pointed out only HD on Tab s 5e. disappointment to say the least
Last edited by insomnia77 on Apr 18th, 2019 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
May 17, 2012
642 posts
654 upvotes
Montreal
insomnia77 wrote: Streaming Video Quality: UHD/HDR/HD on Sony Xperia XZ/XZ2 Premium mobile devices; HDR /HD on Samsung Galaxy Note 7/8/9, Galaxy 8/8+/9/9+, Galaxy Tab S3, Galaxy S10e/Galaxy S10/Galaxy S10+, Sony Xperia XZ1/XZ2/XZ2 Compact/XZ3; HD on Samsung Galaxy A7, Galaxy A8s, Galaxy A9, Galaxy A10, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A30, Galaxy A40, Galaxy A50, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70, Galaxy M10, Galaxy M20, Galaxy M30, Galaxy Tab S5e
Clearly this says only HD on the tab s5e as per parshakov post, no? UHD/HDR only for Sony Xperia XZ/XZ2 premium mobile devices, and HDR only on the list of Galaxy products that do NOT include the s5e
Oct 2, 2013
464 posts
442 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I called Samsung Canada to sort out shipping dates. Tablets are being shipped April 24 with a delivery expectation of 1 to 7 business days. I only ordered off Samsung for the early date for shipping. Likely go with the Staples deal to get the $30 off.

They said due to overwhelming demand they dropped early shipping for preorders.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2169 posts
7243 upvotes
Calgary, AB
insomnia77 wrote: Streaming Video Quality: UHD/HDR/HD on Sony Xperia XZ/XZ2 Premium mobile devices; HDR /HD on Samsung Galaxy Note 7/8/9, Galaxy 8/8+/9/9+, Galaxy Tab S3, Galaxy S10e/Galaxy S10/Galaxy S10+, Sony Xperia XZ1/XZ2/XZ2 Compact/XZ3; HD on Samsung Galaxy A7, Galaxy A8s, Galaxy A9, Galaxy A10, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A30, Galaxy A40, Galaxy A50, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70, Galaxy M10, Galaxy M20, Galaxy M30, Galaxy Tab S5e
HD on Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e.

Edit: 720p for Amazon Prime and Netflix is frustrating.
Last edited by blyndfyre on Apr 18th, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
1092 posts
570 upvotes
Calgary
Is staples offering the headphones as well?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
can2000 wrote: Sorry for off topic. My tab S2 couldn't turn on since last month. I have tried all the tricks from the internet (power down + volumn, etc), even replaced a new battery... all failure to turn on the Samsung tab s2 tablet.
Any idea?
Thanks
I have an old Samsung Tab4 tablet that had the same issue. I tried charging the tablet but nothing. No response when plugged into a computer. I had the power button and volume down button for a minute.

I popped off the back cover to see if I might be able to swap out the battery but I didn't know how to or it was too complicated (I forget which). I took the tablet for a drive to work to offer it to my coworker because he knows how to fix electronics. He plugged it in and it started charging. No idea why because I must have plugged in the tablet a dozen times. So, all it took was to give my tablet a pleasant drive to work. The oddest thing is I remember trying to do a Google search for my issue and I found that somebody else did the same thing. He/she drove his tablet around and then all of a sudden it started charging again.

I would suggest to just leave it for a few days and keep trying to plug it in. Maybe take the tablet for a walk or a drive (I'm not kidding; might as well give it a shot). Hopefully, eventually, it will work.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Oct 2, 2013
464 posts
442 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Did not cancel my order. Staples shipping is in 12 to 15 business days. The hype and shortage is real. Not worth it to wait another week or longer for shipping and then turn around for the tablet.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2034 posts
930 upvotes
Calgary
Cancelled my Samsung order and went with Staples for the extra $30 off.

Headphones say "while supplies last" so hopefully that isn't a factor.
Also says might ship separately.

Couple of weeks is no big deal.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote: I have an old Samsung Tab4 tablet that had the same issue. I tried charging the tablet but nothing. No response when plugged into a computer. I had the power button and volume down button for a minute.

I popped off the back cover to see if I might be able to swap out the battery but I didn't know how to or it was too complicated (I forget which). I took the tablet for a drive to work to offer it to my coworker because he knows how to fix electronics. He plugged it in and it started charging. No idea why because I must have plugged in the tablet a dozen times. So, all it took was to give my tablet a pleasant drive to work. The oddest thing is I remember trying to do a Google search for my issue and I found that somebody else did the same thing. He/she drove his tablet around and then all of a sudden it started charging again.

I would suggest to just leave it for a few days and keep trying to plug it in. Maybe take the tablet for a walk or a drive (I'm not kidding; might as well give it a shot). Hopefully, eventually, it will work.
Thanks for your sharing!
Actually I did all the steps you mentioned.
. pressed power and vol up/down, Home buttons for several minutes
. charged the tablet with car charger while I was driving
. charged the tablet at work (wall charger, laptop)
. connected the table with PC & laptop
. ordered a Samsung tablet battery
. popped off the back cover, and swapped the new battery
Really ran out of ideas.

Thank you and have a nice long weekend, guys!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3350 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
can2000 wrote: Thanks for your sharing!
Really ran out of ideas.

You forgot to take it out for a nice drive to the countryside.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11267 upvotes
can2000 wrote: Thanks for your sharing!
Really ran out of ideas.

FWIW, was the 'new' battery charged? Check what voltage is on it's terminals.

I had a tablet that would NOT wake up at all, no matter what you did, until I manually charged the battery (used a bench power supply) above a certain voltage (I think above 3V the tablet finally 'woke up' and started charging the battery itself).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: FWIW, was the 'new' battery charged? Check what voltage is on it's terminals.

I had a tablet that would NOT wake up at all, no matter what you did, until I manually charged the battery (used a bench power supply) above a certain voltage (I think above 3V the tablet finally 'woke up' and started charging the battery itself).
Thanks!
Could you please explain how to do manually charge the battery? Really appreciated it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Feb 4, 2014
226 posts
156 upvotes
Kingston
Here is the total when buying from Staples in Alberta:
Subtotal includes $1.20 eco fees $551.19
Coupons: -$30.00 ($30 off $200, not stackable with the $10 Newsletter sign up coupon)
Shipping: FREE
Estimated GST or (HST): $26.00
Total: $547.19

+ 1% ebates + airmiles (1 AIR MILES reward mile for every $40 you spend)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)