• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2013 11:00 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1786 upvotes

[Best Buy] Samsung Chromebook 16GB SSD / 2GB RAM - BestBuy $269

Saw this in Bestbuy, right now on pre-order but still pretty hot deal. Friend bought one in the US and it is pretty fast, very lightweight and has good battery life and USB 3.0. I tried it myself and I have nothing bad to say except the OS, and hopefully someday we can install Windows 8 on it and that would be sweet!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sam ... 2ead23en02

Specs:

1.7GHz Samsung E5250 processor and 2GB RAM
16GB solid state drive:
USB 3.0 port:
HDMI port:
11.6-inch screen with 1366 x 768 resolution:
Lightweight design: At only 2.4 lbs (1.1 kg) and 0.7 inches thin.

[IMG]http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/Produc ... 2627_2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/Produc ... 2627_4.jpg[/IMG]
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
28 replies
Oct 19, 2009
637 posts
44 upvotes
This reminds me of when netbooks caused the laptop market to experience a price drop. If Google and manufacturers can pull this off it would be interesting to see the portable PC landscape in the next couple years.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1326 posts
1134 upvotes
TORONTO
1.7GHz Samsung E5250 processor

Are you sure you want to install windows 8 on a non x86/x64 system (I assumed)?
Jun 19, 2007
169 posts
163 upvotes
Can you do offline word excel processing on this thing??

Also powerful enough to run HD movies?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
6318 posts
1170 upvotes
Mississauga
do we need a separate thread for EVERY chromebook?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14846 posts
3820 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Longobongo wrote: do we need a separate thread for EVERY chromebook?
Moderator do what moderator want? lol
Spending too much money thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2011
2585 posts
1026 upvotes
Winnipeg
Longobongo wrote: do we need a separate thread for EVERY chromebook?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY PC?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY laptop?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY phone?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY clothing sale?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY game?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY tool?

I guess we might as well just have 10 different threads where you can post deals for that item's category.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14846 posts
3820 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
soulchief wrote: You we need a separate thread for EVERY PC?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY laptop?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY phone?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY clothing sale?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY game?
You we need a separate thread for EVERY tool?

I guess we might as well just have 10 different threads where you can post deals for that item's category.
All Chromebooks are the same...
Spending too much money thanks to RFD
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1786 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Moderator do what moderator want? lol
Please refrain from trolling; discussions are not permitted in hot deals.

Just so you know, I searched for samsung chromebook in bestbuy thread before posting this. Besides there are different deals for different laptops, electronics, tv, and for pretty much everything so dont get so worked up, I dont mind deleting this thread if its that big of a deal but dont come up with flawed accusations.

Dont like this thread, move over. Any further spamming or trolling will earn you a infraction.

Thanks
Apr 11, 2006
708 posts
386 upvotes
Richmond
Tempting.. I would bite if it were closer to the low end of $2xx. By the way, the processor is Samsung's Exynos 5 Dual, which is dual A15 running at 1.7 GHz. These processors are very capable for light to medium tasks. I have a Linux setup running Lubuntu on a 1 GHz dual core A8, which is few iterations behind the A15, and it feels very snappy already. I can only imagine how buttery smooth this would be if you put a lightweight OS on it :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1786 upvotes
kidd604 wrote: Tempting.. I would bite if it were closer to the low end of $2xx. By the way, the processor is Samsung's Exynos 5 Dual, which is dual A15 running at 1.7 GHz. These processors are very capable for light to medium tasks. I have a Linux setup running Lubuntu on a 1 GHz dual core A8, which is few iterations behind the A15, and it feels very snappy already. I can only imagine how buttery smooth this would be if you put a lightweight OS on it :)
I tried it it was pretty fast maybe because its ssd. The battery life was great and youtube on 1080p was stunning. Prices might drop after a while sine this is bestbuy.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12305 posts
2018 upvotes
GTA
Isnt the intel one better? C7. I just ordered one for 200usd shipped to usa address
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2198 posts
675 upvotes
Edmonton
qaz393 wrote: Isnt the intel one better? C7. I just ordered one for 200usd shipped to usa address
Engadget says no:

Ultimately, we think it's worth spending a little extra for Samsung's $249 model. It's more elegant, better built, thinner and lighter. This, together with the matte display, top-notch keyboard, Bluetooth and decent battery life makes for a more polished Chromebook experience. After all, if you're gonna live in the cloud, might as well be on cloud nine, right?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/26/acer ... ok-review/

It seems like the C7 would be better if you want to buy a chromebook for the purpose of making it not a chromebook.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1786 upvotes
Yeah I thought about it too but this one is lighter. looks neat and has usb 3 and also ssd which is faster. The other one has hard drive and a bit bulky. comes down to preference both are good in its own way.
Dec 21, 2012
786 posts
201 upvotes
Would it be a pain (or impossible) to upgrade the RAM and SSD on this?!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17810 posts
1376 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Perhaps the question should be, can the Chrome OS make effective use of extra RAM or more SSD? Remember, it's not Windows.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
Detour wrote: Would it be a pain (or impossible) to upgrade the RAM and SSD on this?!
Impossible. The RAM and flash memory are soldered to the main board, just like a tablet. The four ELPIDA chips are 256MB RAM (there are another four on the back side of the board) and the SanDisk chip in the lower right is 16GB flash with an integrated controller. The processor is the larger silver chip, and if I wasn't so lazy I would label the other chips as well. ;) The cool thing about an ARM-based design is the lack of active cooling.

[IMG]http://retrothing.typepad.com/james/samsung-armbook.jpg[/IMG]
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
160 upvotes
KW
Why would you ruin it with Windows?

Bilingual Keyboard = non starter anyways.
Dec 21, 2012
786 posts
201 upvotes
retrothing wrote: Impossible. The RAM and flash memory are soldered to the main board, just like a tablet. The four ELPIDA chips are RAM (there are another four on the back side of the board) and the SanDisk chip in the lower right is 16GB flash with an integrated controller.
Thanks for the pic.

I was actually thinking of running Ubuntu on this, not windows. Would have been a nice little Linux machine for the price.