Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy products launched since 2019 will now receive at least 4 years of security updates

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2021 1:28 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6686 posts
4809 upvotes

Samsung Galaxy products launched since 2019 will now receive at least 4 years of security updates

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-gal ... ates-knox/

Galaxy products launched since 2019, including the Z, S, Note, A, XCover and Tab series, will now receive at least four years of security updates

Samsung Electronics announced today Galaxy devices will now receive regular security updates for a minimum of four years after the initial phone release. By extending support for security updates delivered on a monthly or quarterly basis1, Samsung is giving users peace of mind knowing their data is protected for as long as they use their Galaxy device.
5 replies
Feb 15, 2021
12 posts
8 upvotes
It’s about time. Think all phone manufacturers should be doing this. Have a Galaxy A5(2017) that just stopped receiving updates, but the phone still works well. So now I am suppose to spend $500 or more on a new phone, Not happening yet. I will just minimize use of the phone to applications I am not concerned about. Like I care if someone gets access to my phone and finds out I like reading Red Flag Deal chats!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18581 posts
2311 upvotes
Woodbridge
What exactly does Security updates do?

As long as my phones work I don't give two shits. I'm not the type that's paranoid about security.

Then again, I upgrade every 6 months...

My father is using my old moto X play, it still works.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Mar 2, 2017
189 posts
162 upvotes
bembol wrote: What exactly does Security updates do?
Update the security. Obviously!

But seriously, there have been some pretty significant flaws uncovered over the years. Achilles and Stagefright come to mind off the top of my head. Whether these bugs ever become actively exploited on a wide scale in the wild is another matter entirely. For all of the Play Store’s flaws, it serves as a pretty good sentinel.

Part of the problem I've always had with the modern approach to monetizing apps is you never know what's actual malware and what's just an app operating within the bounds of a sanctioned API. Years ago if you had a program that tracked you keystrokes, sent it home over an unblockable (at least not officially) internet connection with unique identifiers, unified that with a pool of data it had collected on you from elsewhere, sold that info off to other parties and served up unrelenting targeted ads to you, we would have called that malware. Now it's just standard business practices.
Dec 6, 2020
303 posts
275 upvotes
They help prevent the Russian mafia from being able to use your phone to empty your bank accounts and liquidate your investments without your knowledge.

They're important.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1898 posts
799 upvotes
Antarctica

As long as my phones work I don't give two shits. I'm not the type that's paranoid about security.

Then again, I upgrade every 6 months...

My father is using my old moto X play, it still works.
If you do any online banking, store personal data, or communicate with people you should give two shits about security. May be you are confusing security with privacy from the "paranoid" comment. The two aren't necessarily the same.