Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant for $375.28 PREPAID-Bell/Rogers/Fido! (Oct 23/24 ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2010 7:14 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1393 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
This is 100% legal.

This law made a lot of noise in the news locally in Quebec. As long as the listed address on the 3year contract is in La Belle Province, you are good.

Now, will a provider contract, who's address is in Quebec allow you to have a 416 or 905 area code? That's another question that someone else might be able to answer
Mar 6, 2002
385 posts
97 upvotes
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 1:18 pm
This is 100% legal.

This law made a lot of noise in the news locally in Quebec. As long as the listed address on the 3year contract is in La Belle Province, you are good.

Now, will a provider contract, who's address is in Quebec allow you to have a 416 or 905 area code? That's another question that someone else might be able to answer

Billing address and residential address can be different. You can get any area code and be bill somewhere else. The only question I am wondering is can you just use any random address or do you need to use one that you know someone from?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1930 posts
988 upvotes
Montreal
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 12:27 pm
Ahh I see. So if a third party (BB/Wireless Wave) offers it, the max cancellation fee is $350. If it's offered by carriers directly, the max is $500. Am I reading it right?
The phone is normally $500 without a contract. With a 3 year contract, Bell offers a hardware subsidy of $350 and charges you $150. If you cancel, you have to pay back that $350 subsidy (pro-rated).

BestBuy also normally charges the $150, but this weekend they are giving an instant discount. The $150 they are offering is an instant discount, not a hardware subsidy- so it does not have to be paid back when you cancel.

As I said, this is extremely rare. I can already see the eBay sellers lining up. The phone sells for $550-$650 on eBay without fail.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2005
4516 posts
159 upvotes
deal_king wrote:
Can someone explain to these clowns that identity fraud means taking advantage of someone else's identity (an actual different person) to their disadvantage in order for you to benefit.

We are talking about billing addresses here, not residential address.

can you explain how this isn't a form of fraud? paraphrased, fraud is falsifying information for benefit. you're falsifying your billing address for the benefit to taking advantage of Que.'s laws. if you don't know the owner of the random billing address you intend to use (ie. not using a friend or family or setting up some temp mailing address in Que), even though you'll be paying everything yourself, how is this not in some way identity fraud? you are using an address that doesn't belong to you. there may be no detriment to the owner of the address since you intend to cover all the costs, but the action is still fraud. if you set up a temp. address in Que like a PO Box as the billing address, then i guess that's a grey area

information is property too, no matter how meaningless you may think it is. choose your words carefully next time before you make yourself look silly. if you want to explain how our perceptions are wrong, there's more courteous ways of doing it
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7392 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
deal_king wrote:
Can someone explain to these clowns that identity fraud means taking advantage of someone else's identity (an actual different person) to their disadvantage in order for you to benefit.

We are talking about billing addresses here, not residential address.

This is fraud, not identity fraud.
May 7, 2007
32 posts
2 upvotes
I'm a little confused. Why does this only work on october the 24th, and why cancel in 3 weeks?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3337 posts
3170 upvotes
Montreal
puffyfish wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 4:38 pm
I'm a little confused. Why does this only work on october the 24th, and why cancel in 3 weeks?
BestBuy special extra $150 off will be ended on Oct 24th... After that date, you will have to pay $150 more...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sam ... ae1985en02

You don't have to wait 3 weeks for cancellation... As long as, you pass the cell phone contract buyer remorse condition (for example, 30 minutes, 30 days)... you can't return your phone... You have to pay the cancellation fee in order to cancel the contract...

So you can use your phone and call longer than 30 mins... You can cancel and pay the cancellation fee... I think this is better because you might not have to pay the whole $50 monthly plan if you cancel early...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9308 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm I'm really tempted to do this... ah
Dec 4, 2007
824 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Can I put a fake Quebec address and pick up the phone in Ontario (where I live)?
Oct 22, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote
Montreal/Toronto
nitroblu wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 4:33 pm
can you explain how this isn't a form of fraud? paraphrased, fraud is falsifying information for benefit. you're falsifying your billing address for the benefit to taking advantage of Que.'s laws. if you don't know the owner of the random billing address you intend to use (ie. not using a friend or family or setting up some temp mailing address in Que), even though you'll be paying everything yourself, how is this not in some way identity fraud? you are using an address that doesn't belong to you. there may be no detriment to the owner of the address since you intend to cover all the costs, but the action is still fraud. if you set up a temp. address in Que like a PO Box as the billing address, then i guess that's a grey area

information is property too, no matter how meaningless you may think it is. choose your words carefully next time before you make yourself look silly. if you want to explain how our perceptions are wrong, there's more courteous ways of doing it
I happen to be a lawyer and I can tell you that you are WAY off base. There is no fraud here (you are not even using the term correctly), nor is there illegality. Your billing address is whatever you choose it to be. Furthermore, there is no one being defrauded. Bell is not being defrauded because of contract jurisdiction. In fact, it is agreeing to those terms when it signs the contract with you.

As for "choosing your words", I can see that you first suggested this was fraud without understanding what fraud is. The word is highly charged and inflammatory. I would suggest in the future that you phrase these ideas as questions: eg. "Is this fraud?", or create your own separate thread to discuss them.
Firestorm wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 4:35 pm
This is fraud, not identity fraud.
Read above.

On a side note, my wife went to the local BestBuy and there were lineups of people for this deal. Does anyone know if they are getting more stock tomorrow?
Mar 14, 2008
284 posts
64 upvotes
deal_king wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 3:51 pm
As I said, this is extremely rare. I can already see the eBay sellers lining up. The phone sells for $550-$650 on eBay without fail.
Heuhhh the phone itself, without contract, is 500$+tx. There is no way it's selling at 650$ now that there is no stock shortage anymore.

Just checked on ebay completed listing, the phone sells between 500 and 520$ with shipping. So after the paypal and ebay charges, that's a lot of hassle for a ~20-30$ profit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
855 upvotes
HoTiCE_ wrote:
This is 100% legal.

The law is 100% legit but unless you know someone there or use an address with permission, its still considered fraud. Of course its unlikely that you will be convicted for it but rather or not you want to go through the trouble of abusing it is up to you. If enough people do abuse it, don't be surprised if something might be done. I.e. the amount lost due to this abuse is something of substance to BB (who likely will be the one losing out). Remember if you don't have permission you are misrepresenting/providing false information while entering into a contract.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
^if there is a credit check done how will this QC address affect the new line activation?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1166 posts
146 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau
Here's a Q? nobody asked yet...

Will the 1yr. warranty (w/ Bell) still be valid once you cancel the contract?

:)
RFD-Anon member #001 - "Hi, my name is Amazing2 and I buy almost everything in the Hot Deals section... Except all that iStuff!"
Feb 18, 2009
134 posts
15 upvotes
Amazing2 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 9:54 pm
Here's a Q? nobody asked yet...

Will the 1yr. warranty (w/ Bell) still be valid once you cancel the contract?

:)

If I am not mistaken, the warranty is 1 year with Samsung and will still be valid. That being said, you will have to file the claim directly with Samsung and pay shipping fees to send your device to the designated repair center (as opposed to bringing it into a bell store and they do all that for you when you have a contract).