Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant for $375.28 PREPAID-Bell/Rogers/Fido! (Oct 23/24 ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2010 7:14 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2002
1919 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
This may not be technically fraud, but it certainly is cheating and insincere, and it's one of the reasons why the industry is against things like Quebec's Bill 60 and other consumer rights, because idiots like you are ruining it for the rest of us who are sincere.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
hardcoredummy wrote: This may not be technically fraud, but it certainly is cheating and insincere, and it's one of the reasons why the industry is against things like Quebec's Bill 60 and other consumer rights, because idiots like you are ruining it for the rest of us who are sincere.

in that case the telco companies with their absurd contracts and high prices are also ruining it for us; please realize that Bill 60 has been enacted to ensure that we do not pay bogus cancellation fees a la SAF fees..!!
t_waly7 wrote: If I am not mistaken, the warranty is 1 year with Samsung and will still be valid. That being said, you will have to file the claim directly with Samsung and pay shipping fees to send your device to the designated repair center (as opposed to bringing it into a bell store and they do all that for you when you have a contract).
Amazing2 wrote: Here's a Q? nobody asked yet...

Will the 1yr. warranty (w/ Bell) still be valid once you cancel the contract?

:)

direct with SAMSUNG... :)
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3453 posts
3295 upvotes
Montreal
hardcoredummy wrote: This may not be technically fraud, but it certainly is cheating and insincere, and it's one of the reasons why the industry is against things like Quebec's Bill 60 and other consumer rights, because idiots like you are ruining it for the rest of us who are sincere.
Quebec Bill 60 is fair for both carriers and consumers... There is nothing wrong with Quebec Bill 60 in this case... With either there is a special extra BestBuy $150 off or not... The cancellation fee is the same... Your maximum cancellation fee = your subsidy amount...

The real problem here is because BestBuy having a special extra $150 off which makes the different... BestBuy+Bell can correct this by putting that extra $150 off amount into the contract as part of the subsidy amount then we can't take advantage of this deal...
Nov 1, 2003
954 posts
361 upvotes
This "DEAL" of yours is not very Ethical! Please take it down!

Deals using the refund or cancellation system is not a deal at all but a scam to the system.

deal_king wrote: The Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant has the same specs as the Iphone 4 and a better graphics chip and GPS chip. Get it for $390 + tx, unlock it for free, and use it on Bell, Rogers, Fido, Telus, or Virgin.

1. Buy this deal on October 24: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sam ... ae1985en02
2. Get the Smartphone 50 plan on a 3 year contract. Use a Quebec billing address on the contract. Any address will do- as you will be picking up your phone today at the store.
3. Cancel your service after 3 weeks. Because of Quebec's Bill 60 (effective June 30), the cancellation fee will be ($350/36)x35=$340.28, no matter where in Canada you live.

Total cost $340.28+$50=$390.28 +tx ($442)

<--------Please Click The Thank You Button If You Like This Deal!
Salesperson
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
edmondt wrote: This "DEAL" of yours is not very Ethical! Please take it down!

Deals using the refund or cancellation system is not a deal at all but a scam to the system.

No, its actually being smart. It's called a loophole. Dont live in a hole.
heatware available upon request
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto

just like ordering internet service free for 4 months then canceling; ohh wait; thats the dell deal on RFD that many have subscribed too... :)
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3470 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I have an Iphone4 that I recently got. Only used it for 11 minutes so I still can return it. Which one would you guys recommend if both can be had for the same price?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16864 posts
1723 upvotes
Thornhill
nitroblu wrote: can you explain how this isn't a form of fraud? paraphrased, fraud is falsifying information for benefit. you're falsifying your billing address for the benefit to taking advantage of Que.'s laws. if you don't know the owner of the random billing address you intend to use (ie. not using a friend or family or setting up some temp mailing address in Que), even though you'll be paying everything yourself, how is this not in some way identity fraud? you are using an address that doesn't belong to you. there may be no detriment to the owner of the address since you intend to cover all the costs, but the action is still fraud. if you set up a temp. address in Que like a PO Box as the billing address, then i guess that's a grey area

information is property too, no matter how meaningless you may think it is. choose your words carefully next time before you make yourself look silly. if you want to explain how our perceptions are wrong, there's more courteous ways of doing it

I do agree with you guys. In the end, someone loses money somewhere, right? And don't say Bell/Rogers/Fido are thieves because you don't HAVE to do business with them.
bpopd wrote: No, its actually being smart. It's called a loophole. Dont live in a hole.

What if I go driving around in a mall parking lot with my damaged car and purposely smash into you, knowing that you'll pay for half the repairs? That's a legalized loophole. Oh, I shouldn't have said that, or someone might go on TV recommending it.

What we do in life echoes in eternity...

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
deal_king wrote: The phone sells for $550-$650 on eBay without fail.[/B]
lol, around early September I snagged one for $320 and the highest price I saw was $500.

don't be ridic now :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
Matryx wrote: I have an Iphone4 that I recently got. Only used it for 11 minutes so I still can return it. Which one would you guys recommend if both can be had for the same price?

I have an IP4 and let's just say Ive been using that more than the Galaxy. A jailbroken Iphone is stronger than Scopolamine sprinkled with crack.

BUT, not to say the Galaxy's terrible. It's an excellent phone as well. I just cant get over the fact that Samsung didn't put flash on the camera-it's terrible in poor lighting situations (duh). I've rooted it and getting apps for Android is very easy (well, Cydia does the same thing).

so to answer your question: I'll be keeping my Iphone because I got used to it more than my Galaxy + no flash. If I wanted an Android phone in the future I'll be waiting for the NorthAmerican version of HTC Desire HD to come out.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1170 posts
147 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau
Argg... I'm still debating getting this.

There's a couple of "used" Vibrant available on KIJIJI for ~$350-$400 but I'm not sure they come with a warranty (sellers have no paperwork for them). From what I've read on HoFo, a warranty seems to be a must for this phone.

What to do... :(
RFD-Anon member #001 - "Hi, my name is Amazing2 and I buy almost everything in the Hot Deals section... Except all that iStuff!"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Seems like this phone is riddled with poor quality based on that user report seen in this thread and HoFo.
heatware available upon request
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6577 posts
173 upvotes
Vancouver
Just jumping in with my experience with a previous unlocked Bell phone. The BB Tour runs on 3G and on GSM which will work on Rogers (GSM) The 3G frequency is not a frequency that Rogers uses so if you want data on your Bell phone, you'll only get Edge or GPRS.

Bottom line, do your homework and know what all the frequencies the carrier you want runs and if the phone uses ALL those frequencies.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
1615 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Any "used" phone will still have warranty since they haven't been released for a year yet... I suggest having the warranty, because there are significant problems with the internal SD card dying...

This is a good deal, but has its risks... It's a good $100+ off! Great phone - kills the iPhone in terms of customization and display.